Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there replaced a front load washing machine with one of the new high efficiency top loader machines (the ones without the agitator post in the middle of the drum)? If so, what is your experience- are you happy with the new machine? What do you think of it compared to the front loader? Any concerns about clothes not getting as clean? Does the spin cycle shake the house a lot less than the top loader did?

I am just asking as we are looking at replacing our set, and seriously considering a Samsung top load HE washing machine that is on sale right now- mostly because we just aren't happy with how hard the spin cycle is on the top loaders on the house (vibrations can be felt in floors and walls throughout the house). But, we don't want to do that if it will mean somehow getting clothes less clean, or having the machine harder on clothes than the front loader is.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
I switched from a front loader to a top loader speedqueen. Its all mechanical, no digital controls to break and cost $799. I'll never buy a HE washer whether its a front loader or top loader. You need a certain amount of water to clean clothes.... period. That annoying agitator post..... yeah, its necessary to actually clean your clothing. HE washers can take an hour or so and not clean as well as a machine with an agitator. My washer takes 35 min.

Last edited by 399083453; 01-31-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 05:13 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times
^^Agree totally with this.^^

Get a mechanical washer. The HE machines come with a lot of bells and whistles, which only equates to more parts that will fail and you'll have to replace, and they're not cheap. You may save a bit on water/detergent usage, but they DO NOT do a better job of cleaning clothes.

I've had both front/top loaders and not noticed any difference in the amount of vibration. If you're getting excessive vibration from yours, it's likely because it isn't level or some other problem.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I agree with the previous two.

The front loaders have proven to be **this** close to a scam. I've had two neighbors get rid of theirs.

We switched from an HE to a plain, old washer that my husband can fix if needed. It hasn't had any measurable affect on our water bill. You don't have to fall for the HE hype.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:23 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. We've been pretty happy with our HE front load washers we've had now and in the past, so I guess in comparison, would an HE top loader be any worse than an HE front loader for how clean they get clothes, or for any extra wear on the clothes? I guess that is a question really just directed at anyone who made that move.

And in response to the comment about the vibrations- actually I have had two different machines in two different houses, and both are the same. The machine doesn't wobble one bit, can't get it to move at all when I try to rock it back and forth or side to side. The problem is just with the force being in an up and down fashion when those spin, vs side to side on the top loaders- to the force goes down into the floor, sending the vibration into the floor, and when the machine is on the 2nd floor, that really sends vibrations throughout the house. I had been reading that this is a very common complaint with front loaders, and it's why many manufacturers claim these should not even be used on the second floor.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
I bought a top loading whirlpool HE washer and it doesn't clean my clothes well. Detergent stays on the clothes sometimes and I have to run the clothes through again.
My house is up for sale and the appliances are staying behind with the house. My next washer will be a mechanical one with an agitator.
I have used a side loading one at laundromats and those are ok too.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 AM

244 posts, read 514,161 times
We have the Samsung HE top loader washing machine and dryer that you speak of. I find that they get our clothes just as clean as when I used to use a Front loader HE machine. However I will say we are not outdoors a lot in the dirt mostly just office and home and running around dirty clothes. But when i do yard work and get my clothes filthy I don't notice any dirt remaining on my clothes after a wash. Also the spin cycle is quite fast to where the clothes are almost dry when they go into the dryer so that's nice.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Has anyone out there replaced a front load washing machine with one of the new high efficiency top loader machines (the ones without the agitator post in the middle of the drum)? If so, what is your experience- are you happy with the new machine? What do you think of it compared to the front loader? Any concerns about clothes not getting as clean? Does the spin cycle shake the house a lot less than the top loader did?

I am just asking as we are looking at replacing our set, and seriously considering a Samsung top load HE washing machine that is on sale right now- mostly because we just aren't happy with how hard the spin cycle is on the top loaders on the house (vibrations can be felt in floors and walls throughout the house). But, we don't want to do that if it will mean somehow getting clothes less clean, or having the machine harder on clothes than the front loader is.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
I did exactly that--replaced front loader with the Samsung toploader. I like it a lot better than the front loader (but if I was shopping now I would definitely look into the mechanical ones that have been mentioned.) The Samsung toploader seems to get the clothes as clean as any other washer I've used. No better no worse. I LOVE the capacity! We have 6 ppl in our family and it is extremely helpful to be able to wash REALLY large loads. The spin cycle is loud, but not so loud the house shakes. But if I'm in the room beside the laundry room (ours is like a den/TV room) then it always takes me by surprise when the spin cycle starts! Even though I'm the one who just started the laundry But I do a lot of the laundry at night and 2 kids rooms are directly above, and they aren't bothered at all. My front loader leaked, got stinky VERY quickly, shook, didn't have the capacity I needed, was hard to get clothes out of...I hated it from the start! YMMV, of course

Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM

347 posts, read 1,281,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I switched from a front loader to a top loader speedqueen. Its all mechanical, no digital controls to break and cost $799. I'll never buy a HE washer whether its a front loader or top loader. You need a certain amount of water to clean clothes.... period. That annoying agitator post..... yeah, its necessary to actually clean your clothing. HE washers can take an hour or so and not clean as well as a machine with an agitator. My washer takes 35 min.
I went with a mechanical Speed Queen washer & dryer. I never looked back.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
I went with a mechanical Speed Queen washer & dryer. I never looked back.
Interesting about people switching back to the "old style" top loaders! I was under the assumption that these newer HE machines were so much more advanced with more options that people would have gone to them and never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House