Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

We just got this house 3 months ago and we are putting off redoing anything right now due to how costly everything is , anyone else noticing this trend of how things are going up and up and yet salarys and paychecks stay the same ? I mean really one can barely afford to live anymore . I do think we must be living in the end times and things will only get more exspensive and frankly we can barely afford to paint and it is just not us . I see other folks having a hard time as well . Have any of you put things off in redos because of the cost ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
A gallon of paint is $8 at walmart so if you cant come up with $8, you need to reallocate your money.... ie: a budget.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Not really.
We scrimp and save, and get another project done when we have enough saved up for it.

I have a guy coming tomorrow to discuss the powder room gut. We have lived here for years and have not brought it up to date yet!

Sounds like you should NOT have bought a fixer upper, especially as you say you can barely afford to paint.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
We bought a nine year old house a little over a year ago. It was in great shape, but really needed to be updated. Before we moved in we gutted the flooring and put in all new tile everywhere, we tiled the master shower, we painted the entire interior, we installed granite in the kitchen and the hallway counter, we refinished the kitchen cabinets, we got all new stainless steel appliances, we installed french doors in the den and we installed a door leading into the master bath. It was much easier to do it all upfront than to deal with the disruption that it would have caused if we were already living there.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 AM

123 posts, read 84,358 times
I have been putting off painting the inside of my house for a couple years but will do it this year. I have to hire it done as I have cathedral ceilings, plus I cannot get on ladders due to balance problems. I am getting estimates, but it may run $5,000 to $7,000 for the entire inside, including garage.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The first thing we had redone in our house was the foundation, because it wasn't worth making any other upgrades until that was done. It was covered by warranty. Other than that, I replaced the kitchen sink with a deeper one and the kitchen faucet with a taller one, and I bought a nicer fridge than the one that came with the house, because those were things that bugged me every day. We've been here six years, and I'm planning to paint soon, and eventually to replace the carpet with vinyl plank flooring, but I don't have plans for any major upgrades anytime soon.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The first thing we had redone in our house was the foundation, because it wasn't worth making any other upgrades until that was done. It was covered by warranty. Other than that, I replaced the kitchen sink with a deeper one and the kitchen faucet with a taller one, and I bought a nicer fridge than the one that came with the house, because those were things that bugged me every day. We've been here six years, and I'm planning to paint soon, and eventually to replace the carpet with vinyl plank flooring, but I don't have plans for any major upgrades anytime soon.

vinyl plank flooring ? I have not heard of that term before I'm going to look that up I have a friend who is re doing her floor and she was asking me what we would use and I thought laminate and now she tells me laminate is cheap she wants something nicer .

Old 02-01-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
A gallon of paint is $8 at walmart so if you cant come up with $8, you need to reallocate your money.... ie: a budget.
let me know how that 8 dollar paint holds up for you in a year . I have seen paint at its lowest 10.00 a gallon and if you have to have primer too not just paint you cant just paint over something and it look good if you think that , I would love to see it when you finish goodness knows .

Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achelois View Post
I have been putting off painting the inside of my house for a couple years but will do it this year. I have to hire it done as I have cathedral ceilings, plus I cannot get on ladders due to balance problems. I am getting estimates, but it may run $5,000 to $7,000 for the entire inside, including garage.
I know that feeling of having to hire out and no one is reasonable seems when you have to hire out is there ? I mean my uncle does the heavy stuff around here because my husband has a balance problem so ladders are out as well for us so my uncle had to replace the ceiling fans which we had to do before we moved in . moving is another big whopper to the wallet as well even if you move yourself ..

Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Yes.
We own a 4.5 year old house.
I want a new kitchen.
Cannot bring myself to spend the $50K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House