Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:27 AM

147 posts, read 254,440 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are currently in the middle of renovating our kitchen. This was a dream project that is turning into a nightmare. We did our research on Angie's list and talked to 6 vendors. We selected a mid-size company that had glowing reviews. They were not the cheapest but we were willing to play a little premium for quality product and great service that we read about from the reviews.

We have a small townhouse kitchen. The completion target was only 1 week. We are now in 2.5wk mark and it's still not completed. There were long stretches where no work is done (no crew sent out). We even lost 1 day when we were told the crew truck had issues and couldn't come out - I told my wife that I didn't believe this excuse....the company probably sent the crew to a bigger project. With the snow storm, we lost about 2.5 days. Somehow, we are now 1.5 week behind with no end in sight. We have been living at home with a bare kitchen (no appliances, no counter, no sink) -- unable to cook at home. I feel trapped by the situation.....we are already financially invested (they took 1/3 deposit to sign contract, 1/3 at beginning of project)....and my kitchen is already torn up so I am depending on them to finish it.

Another issue during the project was a surprise increase in costs. My wife wanted a specific granite. We went to warehouse with contractor to take a look. That granite was darker than the picture when we saw it. As a result, she selected another one granite she loved at the warehouse. The project was underway the next week. Then I get a phone call saying the granite my wife picked was in a higher price category. We budgeted 4.5k and were told we need to add 2k more. I am not sure who made the mistake...perhaps the warehouse mislabeled the slab or my contractor did not double check on prices to make sure both granite are in the same price class. In any case, I was not happy to hear but I was stuck in a jam. My wife loved the 2nd granite and I didn't want to disappoint her. I offered to meet them halfway...cover 1k difference. I was waiting for them to respond on my offer but they kept stalling for 3 days without answering whether they would absorb the other 1k. Meanwhile, my kitchen is torn up and my wife is getting antsy. I eventually caved in and told them to go forward....I wanted my wife to be happy. That was two weeks ago....they had the measurements and decision to go forward back then. But now, they are using snow storm as excuse and saying we are at bottom of the backlog.

I went back and re-read the contract. They gave us a completion target date of 1wk but there was a 18 day cushion they gave themselves for all projects. Additionally, there was no penalty clause in contract to punish them if they are beyond 18 day cushion (ex: $200 per day tardiness, etc). Looking back at Angie reviews, this company mostly deal with projects in the 20k - 50k range. My project is 10k. We are getting tossed around like a rag doll in terms of priority.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I have never had a reno done on time and on budget.

I would not expect a kitchen to be done in 1 week.

You extended the timeline with the granite changes and negotiations.... and yes, the snowstorm messed things up for many people.

Patience.

Yours is not a nightmare!
A nightmare would be that your cabinets came in wrong, your granite slab cracked, and they found termites... actually happened to a friend!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Next time, don't use Angie's List. Have a gander at the reviews against Angie's List, specifically, how contractors can post pages on Angie's list for free, while reviewers have to PAY to leave a review. Also, contractors can leave their own reviews for free.

And the biggest of all: Angie's List only ranks those contractors who have paid for advertising on their site.

Forbes Welcome

Is Angie

Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Patience...... I've renovated kitchens myself. 1 week is ridiculously short.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
What's missing in your post is the scope of the work.

1 week for kitchen renovation if you are not ordering anything. Some cabinets takes weeks to get ordered.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It just sounds like you don't have any perspective on what a true renovation nightmare actually is.

A snow storm is not "no big deal." It sounds like your expectations were probably unrealistic. Projects are almost always late and over budget.

Get the contractor to come out and talk face to face and get everything straightened out.

In the meantime, I would work on balancing your immense desire to please your wife with the realities of construction.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
One week was a very unrealistic estimate. I mean VERY.

IMHO, it shouldn't be a surprise that different granites are priced differently. I wouldn't expect the contractor or stone yard to eat that cost.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 AM

147 posts, read 254,440 times
The reason it is only one week is that we left the cabinets in place....no changes there. We only did new countertop, backsplash and install vent hood.

Right now, there is little to no communication with contractor. I left voicemessages...texts. I have no idea what the plan is and when our kitchen is done. This is totally unprofessional.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:44 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
A nightmare is:
paid contractor 100% up front
kitchen demolished and no longer working (and the plywood covering the window is so annoying)
contractor just made TV news: scams you should be aware of
city has just informed you that due to the electrical work in the kitchen, the entire house must be brought up to code
city has just informed you that due to the plumbing work in the kitchen, the entire house must be brought up to code

Now, don't you feel better?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:53 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
So, I don't want to pile on, but this whole Angie's list deserved another comment.

I don't completely understand her scam, but the reviews on there are just about worthless.

First, you will only find a couple of comments for any particular provider.

Second, she apparently has some scheme about contractors paying her to get their reviews published, and she edits out the 'bad' ones by harassing the original writer until they agree to drop their comments.

I also hear that she gives precedence to contractors who advertise through her site.

Whether all of that is completely accurate, it just means that Angie's list service is suspect.

Much better to use any of the free services on the internet...just type in your contractors name and a bunch of things will come up....for zero cost, unsolicited, and more independent it seems to me.

Now, on to your project. Not a chance you are going to demo, dispose, measure, order and install even the few items which you cited in one week. Takes that long just to measure, cut and polish the granite. Installing a vent hood also takes time. It's not that one week of "work" won't get it all done, its that after the demo is done and the new measurements are taken it takes time to fabricate/order the new stuff.

And lastly, your contractor is a dud. Sorry. But when people don't return phone calls, they are hiding. Either trying to juggle several jobs, or out spending your deposit money (you paid quite a bit up front, didn't you?), or buried in complaints/redo's, or simply a slacker.

It does take time to do a kitchen, so at this point, you have to hang in there. Hold onto your money until you get progress, and only pay as you go. You are already "had", so yelling at the contractor is only going to make him further aloof. Snow, granite changes, lazy contractor...it all adds up to time....frustration...and a desire to strangle someone.

For everything else there is a BIG cocktail! (And thanks for trying to keep the Mrs. happy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House