Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times

Advertisements

I have a single cup, reusable, coffee maker. I love it. I can make the coffee the way I want it and the strength I want it. I can add coconut, cinnamon, cocoa, etc... To my regular coffee beans. Yummy, cheap, and effective.

I hate the Non reusable kind. Such a waste and expensive. I do like drip coffee, but I only need a cup and I like it strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I love my drip. Never did want a Keurig, never did get one. I think it's a money-making phase for the Keurig and coffee companies that will eventually peter out.

I can make one cup or 10 in my drip and as strong as I want, thanks!

My frugal tip to save on paper filters: I put a paper filter in the basket first, then a reusable basket on top of it. After brewing I just dump the grounds out and rinse the whole works out under the tap without removing the paper filter and use it again about 4 times before replacing the paper filter.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What was your reasons you changed~? I had numerous of issues with the K-Cup and have taken it back numerous of times, so I switched to the Starbucks coffee maker. Now I've gone back to the drip coffee maker~!
"One Cup Coffee Maker to Drip: Have you switched"

No.

Still very happy with my Keurig.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
We also have drip that will do a whole pot or a singles with it's own basket. You can use the Keurig style pre packaged coffee or a screen basket with regular coffee. I'm sure the Keurig must come with the similar basket. Don't like using it because some of the grounds end up in the sink and subsequently the septic.
I use the Ekobrew re-usable cups in my Keurig.
They work great.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
I have no interest in using. There's something inviting about a carafe full of coffee available for all to enjoy! I still use
the drip method and since I'm environmentally conscious and also frugal the K-Cups are definitely not for me. When I
was getting an oil change recently I noticed that they had switched to the one cup machine and there it seems to be a
great idea. No old coffee sitting there like I used to see.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
I too have a Keurig for about 5 years, with the only maintenance being that you need to clean out the calcification about 1x 2x per year. Otherwise, it works perfectly, and we save some money and waste by using Trader joe's branded coffee.

If my Keurig went under today, I'd be buying another one ASAP.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Starbucks' Via makes an excellent cup of instant for those "emergencies." And stirring a pouch of it into your chocolate chip cookie dough will make the best cookies ever!
I'll keep it in mind, for those emergencies or when business friends stop over
http://www.elpelicultista.com/wp-con...-fiction-2.jpg
but for the most part, I keep it to the general, base level but not CHEAP!, coffee I find at the HEB.

I do use Starbucks when I am driving in with the wake up munchies (donuts, perhaps kolachies) at a dive site, get their "crew pot" (whatever they call it) to go. It's just that much easier. That, and in that I'm a dive leader, it's part of "when the train comes in, everyone rides" (ie, put out a little money for my people).

Camping wise, the reason is rather simple in that when divers get up on a cold morning, especially one where they have to slither back into cold, damp wetsuits, they usually want coffee and cocoa as soon as the water is hot and that means instant instead of waiting around for brewed. (it probably also means adding a camping stove to the infrastructure; had a hiking one for the last trip, but looking to add a proper two burner or so to the set up)

On camping trips, I do pack the paper filters that cram into the basket (haven't found any inexpensive ones made for it), but at home, I don't bother. So, yes, the home brewed coffee is gritty as mud, but one just learns not to lean back too much with the mug, that the last sip is as pleasant as the first sip instead of being as surprising as the last gulp.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM

619 posts, read 575,230 times
Add me to the french press group. I get my coffee at whole foods usually. I like italian coffee or whatever smells nice. i make a big cup in the morning and it lasts me for my train ride plus a little leftover at work.

at work we have a nespresso that someone donated to our department (we have to buy the pods) or we have one of those office machines with a variety of coffees and teas (for free). I don't love the coffee from that machine but hey, it's free and it's not horrible. If i have a coffee-fix moment, i run down to the starbucks on the corner.

I think my french press is Bodum (it's a few years old)

Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Infographic (LINK) on why kcups are terrible compared to normal brewed coffee.

And I'm sure people will mention those refillable kcups with regular coffee, everyone I know who has one of those, doesnt use them.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 PM

388 posts, read 535,982 times
We have a Hamilton Beach Flex-Brew

It's a regular drip coffee-maker on one side and a single serve on the other. The single sere has 2 options, a basket with built in filter for single serve, or you can switch the holder to use Kureg K-Cups. You can also use coffee pods as well.

I got my workplace to buy one as well... basically gives you all the options and works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House