Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 41,240 times

Advertisements

Strange thing happened a couple of days ago. Two rooms went dark. No electricity coming to those two rooms, and no breakers were tripped. I tried turning every single breaker on and off again. Hours later both rooms came back on. Then, a few hours after that they went back off. Now the next day, they are back on again. I have a Federal Pacific Electric box in my house and have heard bad things about this company.

I am worried that this is a fire hazard and I and my family could be in danger.

Thanks for your input on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 41,240 times
P.S. This is a rental property and the landlord has thus far refused to fix this. I am under a one year lease.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I can't offer insight about your landlord but it could be something as simple as a loose wire in one of the outlets.

Is it a fire hazard. It could be if there's arcing in the outlet.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Need an electrician to take a peek.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
There are stud finders that will detect electricity if your are patient you can track the live wiring in the wall. and find point that the failure could be occurring .
I have even found loose wire connection right at the breaker .

Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Loose/broken wire. Get an electrician to look at it ASAP. VERY dangerous as the place of the break is arcing, heating up, and could cause a fire. Sell the bill to the landlord, or take it out of your rent.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
I would lean on the LL. That can be a fire problem. It is almost certainly a loose wire somewhere. Be especially concerned if you get flickering or periods when lighting goes up and down rapidly. That would indicate arcing and the heat that can result from that.

If you are comfortable with electricity you can check the outlets particularly the ones closest to the breaker box and the breaker itself. If not you need an electrician.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:14 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Make sure you don't have a kid playing around with the reset button on a GFCI outlet.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
If it is not a GFCI my money is on a loose connection at one of the outlets...

The last time this happened in a rental it was because the receptacle was badly damaged... learned the tenant was vacuuming and tripped over the vacuum cord...

There almost always is a cause and affect if one looks hard enough.

I do have one off topic related story...

About 6 months after Dad passed away Mom decided to go through his closet in preparation to give away/donate things... just as she took out the first box the lights and power went out only in that room... so she stopped... and put the items back in the closet and the power returned... I could find no explanation...

A few weeks later she again decided to start clearing the closet and the same thing happened... this was more than 10 years ago and has never happened again.

Dad was very partial to what he had and very thrift/frugal... she has given away some things to family and no issue... it was just the things she was going to get rid of happened twice to be when the power went out.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If it is not a GFCI my money is on a loose connection at one of the outlets...

The last time this happened in a rental it was because the receptacle was badly damaged... learned the tenant was vacuuming and tripped over the vacuum cord...

There almost always is a cause and affect if one looks hard enough.

I do have one off topic related story...

About 6 months after Dad passed away Mom decided to go through his closet in preparation to give away/donate things... just as she took out the first box the lights and power went out only in that room... so she stopped... and put the items back in the closet and the power returned... I could find no explanation...

A few weeks later she again decided to start clearing the closet and the same thing happened... this was more than 10 years ago and has never happened again.

Dad was very partial to what he had and very thrift/frugal... she has given away some things to family and no issue... it was just the things she was going to get rid of happened twice to be when the power went out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House