Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 06:19 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times

Advertisements

I just put a new stainless sink in my kitchen. In the spirit of keeping it fabulous, how much do I have to worry about scratching? I have a lot of cast iron pots and have been known to occasionally give the Pug a bath in my kitchen sink as well. How careful should I be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 06:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
It'll scratch, but honestly it just mostly becomes a patina with a brushed stainless finish. I'm probably like you in wishing to keep it looking good and have a clear, rubberish mat that I often put in when washing rugged pots (or two, one on the bottom, one on the divider), but 17 years later it looks fine, even having banged it up many times with pots and pans when I don't bother with the mat.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It'll scratch, but honestly it just mostly becomes a patina with a brushed stainless finish. I'm probably like you in wishing to keep it looking good and have a clear, rubberish mat that I often put in when washing rugged pots (or two, one on the bottom, one on the divider), but 17 years later it looks fine, even having banged it up many times with pots and pans when I don't bother with the mat.
Yep, this. It scratches, although a good quality sink should not dent. I have a metal grate in mine, it came with the sink, so that helps. I also have a zero radius sink, meaning 90 degree corners rather than rounded off, and I have to get in there to clean those out, and I know I've scratched it a few times when cleaning those a little too vigorously. But I love my sink - spent a crazy amount of money on it but I wanted exactly what I have.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
It does not matter if the stainless steel sink scratches, since it's very easy to maintain. But such sinks usually don't scratch easily, at least not from dishes and utensils. Anyway, if it gets a small scratch, juts take a small 3-M green pad and buff it off. It won't hurt the sink. If you want the whole sink to look nice and clean, you can scrub the sink with the same green pad and dish soap, rinse with hot water, and then dry it clean with a towel, or paper towels.

Also, there are stainless steel cleaners (spray cans) you can use to clean the sink, but not to remove scratches.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I have these in both of my stainless steel sinks, to protect them from any scratches. They come in different sizes and styles. I also have them on my granite counters, next to the sinks:

http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Re.../dp/B000QV6UMU

Old 02-21-2016, 11:18 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
They scratch. It's unavoidable. Just one more reason that I miss the composite sink we had in our okd house. I shouid have kept fighting with the builder of this house until I got one!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
My sink was in the house when I bought it, so it was already scratched. But I just use a SS brillo pad to clean it up. The brushed stainless is a lot easier to care for than the polished stainless. But over time, it will all look brushed anyway

Old 02-22-2016, 01:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I've had stainless sinks for decades. I used an SOS or Brillo pad on them, but you can use Bar Keeper's friend in between scouring sessions. Just be sure to rinse the sink well after cleaning. The seam around the drain will discolor from time to time, so when cleaning be sure to tackle that area.

I prefer a good quality stainless sink. I now have a large white enamel sink that is a royal pain to keep clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House