Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 10:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Recently we had and exciting night while the old smoke detector died and in a spectacular display of noise, it went off with an alarm and warnings and so on. The guy installed a new one which can sense smoke in incruments as well. And when a heat source gets hot it does a warning. But I'm still very unnerved by the time when it went off and wacko.

And now its cold and I have three blankets and a dog and two cats on the bed for warmth. It was on the lowest setting, just taking the edge off of the cold, but did its five button beep. And no way can I reach the ceiling like that.

The real problem is its getting a LOT colder and I will have to have the gas heater on. Its got lots of safety tests and buttons and an overheating shut down, but if it will set off warning with a teeny little desk warmer, I am concerned about my gas system. And I can't spend the whole winter in five layers.

Anybody have this problem, and any ideas on getting heat without alarms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
How far away does a heat source cause a buzzer to go off on a smoke detector?
If they are installed correctly HEAT alone will never cause a false alert. Smoke from cooking otoh...

Old 10-27-2018, 01:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Recently we had and exciting night while the old smoke detector died and in a spectacular display of noise, it went off with an alarm and warnings and so on. The guy installed a new one which can sense smoke in incruments as well. And when a heat source gets hot it does a warning. But I'm still very unnerved by the time when it went off and wacko.

And now its cold and I have three blankets and a dog and two cats on the bed for warmth. It was on the lowest setting, just taking the edge off of the cold, but did its five button beep. And no way can I reach the ceiling like that.

The real problem is its getting a LOT colder and I will have to have the gas heater on. Its got lots of safety tests and buttons and an overheating shut down, but if it will set off warning with a teeny little desk warmer, I am concerned about my gas system. And I can't spend the whole winter in five layers.

Anybody have this problem, and any ideas on getting heat without alarms.
What you wrote is confusing. Have you had your main heat on yet? What was that about a teeny little desk warmer?

Old 10-27-2018, 04:09 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If they are installed correctly HEAT alone will never cause a false alert. Smoke from cooking otoh...
Exactly. The SMOKE detector is detecting opacity/particles in the air, not heat.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:20 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
my alarm uses not only smoke and heat detectors but in certain areas i use rate of rise detectors. those don't wait for smoke or some temperature to be reached. if they see a quick jump in temperature even at low levels it signals the alarm .

Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my alarm uses not only smoke and heat detectors but in certain areas i use rate of rise detectors. those don't wait for smoke or some temperature to be reached. if they see a quick jump in temperature even at low levels it signals the alarm .
Are you saying the detector will go off if you push the heat up? Just how sensitive is this? Is there a lower limit that it would have to go above before it activates?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:48 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
A smoke detector should never go off from heat. a heat detector will however. But heat detectors are usually set for over 100 degrees. usually 120 or higher. Yours may be be set too sensitively and its picking up a pocket of hot air as a potential precursor to a fire. You should contact the manufacturer.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are you saying the detector will go off if you push the heat up? Just how sensitive is this? Is there a lower limit that it would have to go above before it activates?
heating a room is a relatively slow event . a rate of rise detector needs to see a rise way way faster , like from a smoke less fire that has not gotten hot enough for a heat detector to pick up on..
I used both a heat detector and rate of rise in the basement by the furnace . It takes a very very fast rise to set it off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House