Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:39 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times

Advertisements

The only thing that would phase me are bugs: roaches or flies. I have family in the south and I get that the occasional roach is inevitable. But if I see them crawling around, just no. Flies just drive me insane.

Other than that, I don't care much about the other stuff. When I see clutter or messy rooms, I just figure that person is incredibly busy with other things that matter more.

Personally, I'm minimalist so there isn't a whole lot to have to do to tidy up anyway. I like it that away. However, I live with 4 other family members. 1 is like me and the other 3 are definitely not. I just try to contain them and their stuff.

I've been to people's homes that are pristinely clean. Quite frankly, I don't feel comfortable in them bc I am so afraid of messing something up. And if they clean up after you while you're there, it's even worse. I have one friend who removes glasses even if guests aren't done drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Clean bathrooms first, and then clean kitchen.

Those are the things I make sure are clean when I have guests over, as well. You like to know that your toilet is clean at the very least.

Another thing that you can do is to make sure the wastebaskets are dumped.

And any decluttering you can do is also good.

Have a cleanup plan in place for any entertaining you do, but remember that most people want a relaxed hostess and time with you.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
I am one of those that stress over the cleanliness of my house. I have two little ones and it gets hectic balancing life. When you visit others homes [kids considered] what do you notice..or don't notice about the upkeep?

I don't notice anything unless I can't move around because of all the crap lying around, or it stinks so bad I can't deal with it, or bugs crawling on counter surfaces or something like that.

I'm there to visit the person, not critique their housekeeping skills.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
I am one of those that stress over the cleanliness of my house. I have two little ones and it gets hectic balancing life. When you visit others homes [kids considered] what do you notice..or don't notice about the upkeep?

It depends. If you invited me over a week ago, then I would hope your house would be clean as I would clean mine if I invited you a week ago.

I would make allowances for kid/pet clutter and kid dirt. And, I wouldn't care about what your private rooms looked like. But, the common areas, dining room, kitchen, guest bath etc I would hope would be clean.

If on short notice either by your request, or mine which would be unlikely as I don't drop in with less than and hour notice, I would not expect **** and span with kids. But, if there is food involved, I would hope at least that the kitchen was clean and the guest bath was clean.

I guess the bottom line is clutter is ok. Feeling like you might get some kind of disease if you eat there or use the bathroom is not. Ditto smells......esp. not cleaning litter boxes, diaper pails, food piled up, smelly garbage etc.

I clean as I go, so sometimes I have a bit of clutter, but my house is almost always guest ready or can be made so within 15-20 minutes.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:54 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't notice anything unless I can't move around because of all the crap lying around, or it stinks so bad I can't deal with it, or bugs crawling on counter surfaces or something like that.

I'm there to visit the person, not critique their housekeeping skills.
that's pretty much it. i've been to a few of my nephew's friend's places. that'll curl your hair. i really appreciate a clean toilet, though.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:13 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
I don't really care if someone's home is really clean - just don't have bad smells, crud on the toilet/faucet and at least have a few clear places to sit. Now if I'm coming to eat at a house - I'd like the place to be spotless. I have a small phobia about eating at homes with pets. In my mind, animal hair and dander will get stirred up and fall into my food/drink.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 AM

107 posts, read 100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't really care if someone's home is really clean - just don't have bad smells, crud on the toilet/faucet and at least have a few clear places to sit. Now if I'm coming to eat at a house - I'd like the place to be spotless. I have a small phobia about eating at homes with pets. In my mind, animal hair and dander will get stirred up and fall into my food/drink.
For some reason, I do, too. It all started about 20 years ago when I worked with a very nice girl; she was always dressed very well, hair and make-up, etc. But I remember she mentioned that she had 6 cats. And then one day we went out to lunch, taking her car. There were paw prints all over the hood. Then I got to noticing cat hair on her clothes. I just remember the picture that started forming in my mind of her kitchen - with the cats climbing all over the tables and counters and how I wouldn't relish an invitation to dine at her house, nice as she seemed to be.

The next time I visited my mother, a year later (I was living across the country at the time) I noticed that HER CAT was climbing on the counters and she actually LIKED the cat to sit on the table while she was eating! (She WAS in her 70's at the time and, looking back, I think that the Alzheimers was already kicking in, because I'd never seen that kind of behavior before, and I also think she was lonely - her partner had just died. But I just about had a conniption. "Do you know that cats use their paws to cover up what they've done in the litter box?????" Ugggh..

As for me, this is a great thread for me to read because I've always had the unwarranted fears that my house was NEVER clean enough for company. I could always see some defects, something that just wasn't "right" that I was afraid people would notice. And if they didn't notice it, I'd almost feel compelled to point it out and apologize for it for fear that they really did notice it and would think less of me. It's actually affected my social life - it's almost become a phobia. So these posts have reaffirmed my belief that people don't notice much and they just like to come over to spend time and socialize, not recommend a cleaning squad!

BTW, when I go to others' houses, I never notice much, either - except for a filthy bathroom, bugs, putrid smells, or that dreaded cat thing

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

A little off topic; but if we're talking about pets......they should be put away unless you know the visitor isn't allergic/truly loves your pets AND your pets are well-behaved.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:44 AM

Forgot to add that the more notice I have, the more pressure I feel to have the place spotless. I think this is a woman thing. My husband seriously could not care less. Doesn't even phase him. He asks me all the time why I even care what people think. He even jokes about there being some clean house award.

I will clean the spaces I know people will see from top to bottom (walls included). Bathroom will be spotless and, yeah, I have separate guest linens. Kitchen (including refrigerator top and inside) spotless. Other areas, not so much. When the kids were younger, they had play spaces and I kept their toys corralled. I mainly focused on no dirty dishes visible or trash laying around.

I don't know if I'm the only person like this, but I don't invite people in if they stop by unannounced. That is a huge pet peeve and it drives me nuts. I don't know if it's that I'm so worried about my house or the fact that I just don't want to encourage the behavior.

I also clean differently for different people: my best friend = minimal stress and fuss. My mother-in-law = spotless.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:50 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Forgot to add that the more notice I have, the more pressure I feel to have the place spotless. I think this is a woman thing. My husband seriously could not care less. Doesn't even phase him. He asks me all the time why I even care what people think. He even jokes about there being some clean house award.

I'm a chick, and I don't care. I might wipe down the counters and make sure the toilet is clean, but that's all. My home is my home, and if they think it's dirty, they don't have to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House