Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 03:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times

Advertisements

When was the last time you pulled every single cookbook off the shelf and culled down the number? I just did and fully half of them are going into the library book sale pile.

Some of them were a bit of a surprise to me that I had no desire to hang on to them any longer, some of them I forgot I owned! My Silver Palate cookbook is heading for the giveaway pile. The only recipe I used from that was the Chicken Marbella. Also found some mini-cookbooks that were give-aways back in teh '80s with the purchase of Benson & Hedges cigarettes, thanks to my 2-pack-a-day mother. One of those I'm keeping because it has a good-looking curry recipe in it.

Paul Prudhomme didn't make the cut, either, and I've got the Coyote Cafe Cookbook in the "take another spin thru & then decide" pile.

What made the cut for me? Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" (I recommend it often to others), Joy of Cooking, Good Housekeeping, Virginia Hospitality, Cake Bible, a Middle Eastern cookbook, a Southern Living desserts cookbook, and a few others.

What stays or goes for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
The Joy of Se....... Er... I mean Cooking.

Yeah that's the ticket.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
I've never gotten rid of any and I can't remember the last time I used one. When I try a recipe I like that'll go into rotation I write it on an index card and keep it in my recipe box.

Funny about SP chix Marbella - my sister gave me that book with that recipe marked. She used to make it.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
When was the last time you pulled every single cookbook off the shelf and culled down the number? I just did and fully half of them are going into the library book sale pile.

Some of them were a bit of a surprise to me that I had no desire to hang on to them any longer, some of them I forgot I owned! My Silver Palate cookbook is heading for the giveaway pile. The only recipe I used from that was the Chicken Marbella. Also found some mini-cookbooks that were give-aways back in teh '80s with the purchase of Benson & Hedges cigarettes, thanks to my 2-pack-a-day mother. One of those I'm keeping because it has a good-looking curry recipe in it.

Paul Prudhomme didn't make the cut, either, and I've got the Coyote Cafe Cookbook in the "take another spin thru & then decide" pile.

What made the cut for me? Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" (I recommend it often to others), Joy of Cooking, Good Housekeeping, Virginia Hospitality, Cake Bible, a Middle Eastern cookbook, a Southern Living desserts cookbook, and a few others.

What stays or goes for you?
I am like a Marine and his/her weapon.........you will get my cookbooks out of my cold dead hands and not before.....LOL

Old 03-02-2016, 03:39 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I got rid of my Time/Life cookbooks when I last moved.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
It's been ages since I used a cookbook. Maybe once or twice in the last year. I hate getting rid of them though.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
About a year ago I gave a bunch to my niece, and more to the local thrift shop.

I still have an entire bookshelf full of them, though. *sigh* I can attach sentimental value to anything.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I volunteer sorting book donations at a local thrift store. Cookbooks are the #2 item donated, with religious books being in the top spot (it's the south!). I guess everybody has figured out what I realized a while back, all recipes can be found online.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I don't really use my cookbooks anymore other than for holiday meals. I still refer back to some of my 1960s era cookbooks for that. I still love to collect them.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Meta Given's Modern Encylopedia of Cooking, volumes I and II, Bread Alone, another bread book, a pressure cooker book, a Two Fat Ladies cookbook since it was a wedding gift and a decorative one with really pretty pictures and really over the top recipes that I'll never use but like to look at. If the Meta Givens books are counted as two, that's a total of seven cookbooks. That's pretty much enough so I never buy any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House