Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:31 AM

645 posts, read 750,448 times

Advertisements

hi...well we just noticed that my dads patio roof is leaking a bit....he's elderly (76) and he seems to think he needs to replace the whole roof....im no roof expert but I never thought the patio mattered much because its really not the house....being that's he's one of those old men that gets bored and he thinks he can fix anything he has already pulled part of it off where its leaking trying to see where the leak is coming from .....so now im worried he is going to make it worse and end up costing us more money.(old people never listen). im the one who handles his finances and he seems to think its ok to make spontaneous purchases out of nowhere id rather not pay thousands of dollars on an unnecessary project..can anyone tell me if this is a necessary fix or can it just be left like that? and if we do need to repair about how much does it cost? its not a huge patio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
hi...well we just noticed that my dads patio roof is leaking a bit....he's elderly (76) and he seems to think he needs to replace the whole roof....im no roof expert but I never thought the patio mattered much because its really not the house....being that's he's one of those old men that gets bored and he thinks he can fix anything he has already pulled part of it off where its leaking trying to see where the leak is coming from .....so now im worried he is going to make it worse and end up costing us more money.(old people never listen). im the one who handles his finances and he seems to think its ok to make spontaneous purchases out of nowhere id rather not pay thousands of dollars on an unnecessary project..can anyone tell me if this is a necessary fix or can it just be left like that? and if we do need to repair about how much does it cost? its not a huge patio...

What's the roofing material, how big is the roof, and how old is it.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,397 times
...and where is the leak located- near an edge or near the middle? Nothing wrong with getting some bids from some licensed, reputable roofers.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Re-roof/repair now, or replace entire structure due to water damage later. Carpenter ants love the heck outta damp wood also. Just sayin.....

Old 03-06-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
What's the roofing material, how big is the roof, and how old is it.

I think its just asphalt material...we have asphalt shingles on our house roof but this is the patio It doesn't look like shingles...just a flat type asphalt... I don't know the exact dimensions but its a pretty good size patio not huge but not tiny either...and its old probably like over 20 years....

Old 03-06-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
...and where is the leak located- near an edge or near the middle? Nothing wrong with getting some bids from some licensed, reputable roofers.

one leak is near the end of the patio on the right side..and the other is near the front end...they are small leaks right now...I figure it will need to be fixed I just wasn't sure how to go about it..i just don't want to have to spend more than necessary if it could be a simple repair.....rather simply repair it than to have to put a whole new roof like my dad is assuming needs to be done...that can get rather pricey...

Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Re-roof/repair now, or replace entire structure due to water damage later. Carpenter ants love the heck outta damp wood also. Just sayin.....
I have to agree with this. If it's asphalt, it's just as easy to replace a small roof.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:37 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Well, if you want to attempt a repair, I suggest you buy THIS: Henry 0.90 Gal. 208R Rubber Wet Patch Roof Cement-HE208R142 - The Home Depot

Then grab a bunch of "paint-stirring sticks" on the way out of the store. Get somebody up on the roof (NOT your dad!) and slather that over any obvious spots that look like it's a leaking area. It works real well, but might not look very good.

A better way to go, yet still on the "cheaper side", is to buy "Roll roofing" and install it over the shingles that are there (if it's only a single layer, and the roof framing can take the added weight), or better yet, tear those off and put this down: GAF Mineral Guard 39-39/64 in. x 32-39/64 ft. (100 sq. ft.) Charcoal Mineral Surface Rolled Roofing-1002180 - The Home Depot They also sell a white colored one, if the roof needs to be white.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Well, if you want to attempt a repair, I suggest you buy THIS: Henry 0.90 Gal. 208R Rubber Wet Patch Roof Cement-HE208R142 - The Home Depot

Then grab a bunch of "paint-stirring sticks" on the way out of the store. Get somebody up on the roof (NOT your dad!) and slather that over any obvious spots that look like it's a leaking area. It works real well, but might not look very good.

A better way to go, yet still on the "cheaper side", is to buy "Roll roofing" and install it over the shingles that are there (if it's only a single layer, and the roof framing can take the added weight), or better yet, tear those off and put this down: GAF Mineral Guard 39-39/64 in. x 32-39/64 ft. (100 sq. ft.) Charcoal Mineral Surface Rolled Roofing-1002180 - The Home Depot They also sell a white colored one, if the roof needs to be white.

thanks so much for all the info I will definitely look into this...

Old 03-06-2016, 07:16 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,397 times
If its predominantly at the edges, then it may be that the edges are lifted/unsealed and you can seal that with tubes of mastic, the spouts of which can fit under lifted edges. If there are exposed nails anywhere then those need to be sealed. It seems that maybe your dad did some extraneous damage-maybe that can be patched as well? Do you know someone who is handy to help you if you cannot afford a roofer? Its gonna leak tomorrow I guess-they say 1/2 inch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House