Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I wonder how is it possible the Condo had that thin of a wall separating the units. You mean not even studs with drywall on Each side?

Anyway, I suggest you keep your windows slightly open all the time to ensure the pressure differential doesn't pull air from your neighbor's side towards your unit. A half inch opening on each floor, for example. Open all Windows any chance you get when temp is warm enough. You can also try Febreeze type of product that scavenges smells.
Only up in the attic. The living space has drywall on each side.

I think your recommendations are good if the issue was happening sporadically or temporarily (which was the case with the old neighbors), but I am needing a permanent solution and that will involve bringing in the right professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
In addition to calling in the HVAC guy to make sure you have positive air pressure in the condo, it's probably worth investigating where your air leaks on the shared wall are coming from. It's basic energy audit stuff. Normally, you pressurize the house and check for air leaks with a burning incense stick. 99% of the time, you'd end up applying fire caulk where the wires come into junction boxes. Hopefully, the condo has proper fire blocking so there isn't air flow up the wall to the attic.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:47 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In addition to calling in the HVAC guy to make sure you have positive air pressure in the condo, it's probably worth investigating where your air leaks on the shared wall are coming from. It's basic energy audit stuff. Normally, you pressurize the house and check for air leaks with a burning incense stick. 99% of the time, you'd end up applying fire caulk where the wires come into junction boxes. Hopefully, the condo has proper fire blocking so there isn't air flow up the wall to the attic.
This is definitely the way to go. Getting more fresh air in is the ticket. I doubt it will be $100 to do it right in PA due to the weather. You really need an energy recovery ventilator (ERV) so you are not having to run the heat or a/c so much to counter all that fresh air. Sealing the walls is good as well as the fewer holes, the more the positive pressure will work to keep air moving the correct way.

Do you know if there are exterior vented hoods in your units or are they just recirculating? The other tactic is to get the smells out of their unit more efficiently. If you have a good relationship with them, it might pay to have your HVAC guy check their stuff out and install an exterior vent if it's possible and there's not one now. Even if you end up paying for it, it will help you greatly.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:00 AM

455 posts, read 388,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Super easy fix. Call an HVAC guy and have him install a 6 or 8" fresh air intake to the return air. It will pressurize the condo everytime the unit comes on forcing the smell out. It also keeps fresh air in the condo which is a lot healthier than stale air. It can also relieve winter condensation on the windows if you have the problem. Should cost you less than 100 bucks.
What a crazy good idea!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Try cooking some saurkraut 24 hours and you just might stink the neighbor out and they will move.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:39 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Seriously, how can a person confuse "loose" with "lose"? One is generally an adjective, and the other is always a verb.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
This entirely boils down to the vegetarian/not-vegetarian divide. Indian curries made from goat (the most common), sheep or seafood are extremely, nauseatingly, stinky. How do I know? Because I'm a vegetarian Indian and my curries don't stink. Neither do my clothes or my skin. The stink issue is the reason apartment buildings in India are sometimes assigned only to vegetarians or only to meat-eaters. It's a well-known problem. In addition, the spices and seasonings (garlic etc.) used for cooking meat are a lot stronger than those used for other dishes.

As an aside, those of you who summarily refuse to rent to Indians should probably think of asking them if they are vegetarian or not, and whether they are from North India (more stinky food) or South India (less stinky food). Believe me, it makes all the difference. I don't even use garlic in my cooking - that's how diverse Indian cooking is. There's no reason that people like me who cook very inoffensive and mild-flavored food should be stereotyped for our brethren who like their food on the stinkier side.

Incidentally, the nastiest smell I've ever encountered is the smell of boiling beef, courtesy of a German roommate I had in college. Barf.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Losing tens of thousands on our condo because of stinky food!
Uh, no.
Losing because:
"there is only a very superficial wall (basically plywood) that separates their unit from ours when you get to the attic"

Substandard construction leads to problems. Who knew?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:26 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Seriously, how can a person confuse "loose" with "lose"? One is generally an adjective, and the other is always a verb.
I think I see it spelled wrong more often than right nowadays. It's probably just a matter of time, anyway, until the online hipstergentsia decides that "lose" should also be a noun (much as it did with "fail").

Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If you have a dryer, chimney that isn't properly closed, vent or something else exhausting air outside that air has to be made up from somewhere. If the easiest path is from the next door house that is where it's going to come from.

It can be the exact opposite and coming from outside, typically air will naturally flow up a chimney or your stove vent as another example if you have one. Under certain conditions the draft can be reversed. If you stove vent is near theirs it could come down your vent if it's not properly dampened. Check for spots for where air is being exhausted from their house and if you have nay vents near it.

As a final note you seem like a reasonable person since you are trying to solve this on your own, if you have good relationship with them tell them about it and ask them if there is anything they might be able to do to lessen the smell. Perhaps they can help mitigate the problem on their own. I think most people can be reasonable if you are being reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House