Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times

Advertisements

Did I get your attention with that title?

Okay, it's a little extreme, but maybe not!

I need advice on the right professional to call about an issue we're having with our condo. Our unit has but one shared wall. Last summer the unit behind ours was sold and the new neighbors cooking odor literally fills up our entire unit... all three floors... every room and closet... for hours after their done cooking... every other day or more!

We approached our HOA board about the issue, but we were told we are on our own. We debated moving and trying to sell the place, but 1) We think we might have a problem selling the unit because of the smell 2) We still really like our place if it weren't for the neighbors' cooking.

We decided at this point we just need to solve the issue ourselves, but we don't know what kind of professional to hire...

Do we hire a HVAC? Do we hire a general contractor? Is there any other professional we need to hire? Please help us, it's stressing out my husband which stresses me out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Didn't the former neighbors cook? Or is this a distinct odor like curry?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Super easy fix. Call an HVAC guy and have him install a 6 or 8" fresh air intake to the return air. It will pressurize the condo everytime the unit comes on forcing the smell out. It also keeps fresh air in the condo which is a lot healthier than stale air. It can also relieve winter condensation on the windows if you have the problem. Should cost you less than 100 bucks.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Didn't the former neighbors cook? Or is this a distinct odor like curry?
We don't think the previous owners were home much... they did cook meat that we could smell, but not very often. But, yes, the new neighbors are Indian and they cook traditional foods of their culture... the garlic and onions are very, very strong. They don't always make curry, but there are a few recipes that they will sometimes make on the weekends, I think they must be for special occasion or something, but they end up cooking them for half the day and they are the strongest.

I think they are great neighbors, and it has NOTHING to do with them, but it's not normal for this to happen. It's very, very bad. Sometimes you can smell it a full day later... I bet you their house doesn't even smell as strong as ours... it's literally like we are their duct system or something.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Super easy fix. Call an HVAC guy and have him install a 6 or 8" fresh air intake to the return air. It will pressurize the condo everytime the unit comes on forcing the smell out. It also keeps fresh air in the condo which is a lot healthier than stale air. It can also relieve winter condensation on the windows if you have the problem. Should cost you less than 100 bucks.
Thank you! We weren't sure. It smells like it's coming in from every outlet and the wall itself.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
Do you have separate Hvac / air con systems?. If not and you are sharing duct work, then you are pretty much screwed. If the Hvac is completely independent, then it must be a pressure issue where air from the stinky unit is pulled in thru any nooks and cranny into your unit.
Re
I heard leaving out vinegar can lessen smells. But by now, your carpets, drapes and any soft material are already soaked in with the smell so remove all of that when you try to sell. Weather is getting nice so keep windows open as much as possible.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
We had neighbors in the next apartment who cooked with curry. We only got the odor in our bathroom and could manage it by closing the bathroom door and running the vent fan. Have you tried odor neutralizer equipment or products?

http://noodor.com/p/restaurant-smell...FYSDaQodWxgH_w

Old 03-07-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Do you have separate Hvac / air con systems?. If not and you are sharing duct work, then you are pretty much screwed. If the Hvac is completely independent, then it must be a pressure issue where air from the stinky unit is pulled in thru any nooks and cranny into your unit.
Re
I heard leaving out vinegar can lessen smells. But by now, your carpets, drapes and any soft material are already soaked in with the smell so remove all of that when you try to sell. Weather is getting nice so keep windows open as much as possible.
We do have separate duct work, but there is only a very superficial wall (basically plywood) that separates their unit from ours when you get to the attic. That's why we don't know if it's only an HVAC guy or someone else who can tell us about the space between our walls and how to keep it, well, separated, which we're talking about 3 full stories.

The odor has still not penetrated the carpets or curtains. I know this because when we've been gone all day and come home I can really "smell" my house, as if I hadn't been in it for a very long time. However, we are concerned that over time it will.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
I wonder how is it possible the Condo had that thin of a wall separating the units. You mean not even studs with drywall on Each side?

Anyway, I suggest you keep your windows slightly open all the time to ensure the pressure differential doesn't pull air from your neighbor's side towards your unit. A half inch opening on each floor, for example. Open all Windows any chance you get when temp is warm enough. You can also try Febreeze type of product that scavenges smells.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:14 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
A friend of mine has two small townhouses that he rents out. He does everything possible to avoid renting to Indians because it's nearly impossible to get the smells of their cooking out of the house when they leave. He made that mistake once and he took a serious financial hit when they moved out and tried to rent the house after they left. It's a shame, but that's the reality. Nothing against Indians, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House