Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,316,843 times

Advertisements

Wow, sorta surprised you replaced the French doors with a solid wall. Seems like you've really lost quite a bit of natural light...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,587,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wow, sorta surprised you replaced the French doors with a solid wall. Seems like you've really lost quite a bit of natural light...
I thought the same as well, until George Chong explained the new lay out, then it makes perfect sense why the french doors went by, by~ ..

Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,126,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Day 4: Lots of activity today 3 from the general contractor, 2 electricians and 2 plumbers!

The wing wall has been framed for a new stud. To the far right, you can see the new water line for the kitchen sink.

Kitchen

Where the red ladder is on the right is, the plumbers moved the water line where the old refrigerator was located and where the new microwave/double oven will be located.

The hardwoods have been pulled up and the waterline has been installed for the location of the refrigerator.

New engineered support beam - sexy huh Those are temporary studs so that the second floor does come down into the first floor kitchen

The furry supervisor taking a break. He tried to move one of the unplugged circular saws today

No work this weekend, so new updates will come on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone
Moving along. How exciting this must be for you.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:34 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,078,642 times
Day 8 was sheetrock reinstallation. The ceramic floor tile finally arrived. The cabinet installation will be delayed since the tile is going down as I type (Day 9). The ventilation for the downdraft for the kitchen island was completed too. We are still amazed at the speed that the renovation is going at and without compromise to quality.

Mooner finally took a job (after many years of asking him to earn his keep) He is now the official tile inspector! Hopefully he won’t charge us too much in extra cat treats for his services.

Attached Thumbnails
Our Kitchen Renovation-kitchen.jpg   Our Kitchen Renovation-tile-inspector.jpg  

Old 03-18-2016, 08:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,066,195 times
wow yeah gotta say why did you block off the French doors ? I mean you blocked out a lot of natural light indeed . I would love to have those door on the back side of my house . we have been doing things on a bare bones budget and it all seems to be coming together .

Old 03-18-2016, 08:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,440,607 times
Making good progress George!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,586 times
Before I detract from your remodel, let me say I am impressed by the scale and the boldness. It is a lot of work. Looking forward to the pics of the final product. Was it not in the budget to replace the arched window in the kitchen? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they are called cathedral windows. I always found these to give a house a very dated look.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:33 AM

The refrigerator is moving to the wall left of the location of the French doors. We wanted to incorporate that area into the new kitchen - thus the French doors went away. We believe it will become integrated within the new space. We always keep the kitchen door leading to the garage open when we are home (garage open). It has a glass storm door. I have been shutting that door for picture taking purposes because the sunlight puts a glare on the photos. The French door wall was originally supposed to house more cabinets but we discovered it will be too tight with the wing wall and the placement of the refrigerator. With the French doors gone, it does provide a little more privacy since we have a shared driveway.

The cathedral or whatever you call it window is the previous and will be the current location of the sink. We like the window. It goes with the house. The front exterior of the house is Victorian. We live in a historic neighborhood. All construction from the street front needs to look like it belongs in the neighborhood despite us having attached garage in the back.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Making good progress George!
Thank you

Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,587,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
The refrigerator is moving to the wall left of the location of the French doors. We wanted to incorporate that area into the new kitchen - thus the French doors went away. We believe it will become integrated within the new space. We always keep the kitchen door leading to the garage open when we are home (garage open). It has a glass storm door. I have been shutting that door for picture taking purposes because the sunlight puts a glare on the photos. The French door wall was originally supposed to house more cabinets but we discovered it will be too tight with the wing wall and the placement of the refrigerator. With the French doors gone, it does provide a little more privacy since we have a shared driveway.

The cathedral or whatever you call it window is the previous and will be the current location of the sink. We like the window. It goes with the house. The front exterior of the house is Victorian. We live in a historic neighborhood. All construction from the street front needs to look like it belongs in the neighborhood despite us having attached garage in the back.

I thought the same as well with the french doors until you explained it a few post back, I agree incorporate that area into the new kitchen is a great ideal, it be bigger and just makes sense, since that seemed like a unless tight spot to begin with...

Love the cat, during our kitchen remodel the crew that came in daily for the next few mouths nick name our cat The Boss, since he just sit watch them all day long! ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House