Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 05:42 PM

132 posts, read 232,018 times

Advertisements

We are in a perpetual battle with our back yard. I worry about when we sell it one day that sellers will turn their noses.
We have a nice stone patio and trees in part of the yard. The other yard is filled with grass that is barely there due to drought and erosion. It's lovely when you face the house and see the patio and the tree/flower bed area, but turn around and the rest is just not very attractive,although it is well maintained and weed-free. I just don't want to spend thousands more on the yard to spruce it up with rock and drought tolerant plants. It's probably 5,000 sq ft of dirt/grass that we would have to spruce up. That is a lot of money needed to spruce that area with rocks and plants and altering the sprinkler system.
For what it's worth- our front yard looks great! We have limited water allowances, so that is where our sprinklers spread water.

How much does a backyard count when it comes to buyers? Is a half good looking and half unattractive backyard a big deal? I think I put too much emphasis on this and I am tiring myself out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 05:54 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menono View Post
We are in a perpetual battle with our back yard. I worry about when we sell it one day that sellers will turn their noses.
We have a nice stone patio and trees in part of the yard. The other yard is filled with grass that is barely there due to drought and erosion. It's lovely when you face the house and see the patio and the tree/flower bed area, but turn around and the rest is just not very attractive,although it is well maintained and weed-free. I just don't want to spend thousands more on the yard to spruce it up with rock and drought tolerant plants. It's probably 5,000 sq ft of dirt/grass that we would have to spruce up. That is a lot of money needed to spruce that area with rocks and plants and altering the sprinkler system.
For what it's worth- our front yard looks great! We have limited water allowances, so that is where our sprinklers spread water.

How much does a backyard count when it comes to buyers? Is a half good looking and half unattractive backyard a big deal? I think I put too much emphasis on this and I am tiring myself out.
It sounds like you may live in a suburb, and when I was looking for places to live in that type of area the backyard was very important to me (maybe even more important than the front yard since I would like to do things like gardening and bird-feeding in the backyard). It was very valuable for me to have a nice scenic view of that area from the house, or at least have that part of the home attractive looking (if unfortunately there are no views of it from any window of the house). I think you'll have your buyers that really don't care much about it however, that are more interested in the house itself. Still, to get the widest range of buyers, I think you may have to put some work into the yard to get it presentable. Did you consider maybe getting a landscaper to give you some advice on what might work in your yard? I've never dealt with that so it may not be of any help at all just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Honestly, I'd want to plant things to prevent further erosion. That will only get worse and be a horrible eyesore, not to mention a source of blowing dirt.

If you combined rock and a few nice low maintenance plants, you could keep the costs to a reasonable amount, especially if you did at least some of the work yourself.

I very specifically wanted a nice, small backyard when we moved here in 2012. I wanted to be able to plant flowers. DH wanted a small patch of lawn.

If you want a definitive opinion, ask an experienced local realtor about this.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
It matters, but the size and usability matters more than the actual landscaping.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
It was a big factor for us.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:04 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I would think as long as it is neat and clean, that would be good enough.
Id rather have a yard that really isnt done, that way I could create it the way I would like it.....

I think you should be fine.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:27 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
I care about the potential of the backyard, but not whether the lawn and other plants are perfect.

One of the first major changes I made when I moved into my house was to have a contractor come in and absolutely destroy the "yard", eliminate that entire quadrant of "lawn". Basically scraped it down to bedrock, replaced "lawn" with local stone and other low-maintenance material.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:45 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Size and potential of backyard are important to me. I'd prefer for the yards to be maintained...I don't need lots of plantings, just signs that it isn't unkempt - i.e. I'd like to have it mowed/weeded. An unkempt, weed strewn yard with lots of bare spots, brown patches, and dead plants is a turn off. Though none are dealbreakers since a lawn care company can fix all of those.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Back yard is a big deal for me.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times
Oh yes. The size, the potential, the view, the natural beauty. Pretty important to some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House