Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

We are looking at condos built on slab and they install "engineered" hardwood saying real hardwood can't go over a slab but I'm pretty sure I've seen that before.
Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
It should not be done, but people do it all the time. Typically, the people you see doing it are immediately selling it after installing it.

So it will look good for a little while, then look like hell and you will need to tear it up. Cupping is the most typical issue.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
You can but not directly. The issue is with moisture you need a barrier down under the wood this is normally a multiple layer thing starting with a vapor barrier then plywood ontoo of that and fastened down then you can put hardwood over top of that. It will look terrible against tile that is set on slab though because the new base is about an inch above the slab.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Real hardwood should be put down on a slab on screeds which is not a direct application to the slab. WE use a black mastic to primarily glue the screeds in place. We use a few Ramsets to insure they don't move.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:41 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You guys need to come into the 21st century!

Yes; it can be installed directly to concrete slab. There have been major improvements in adhesives that both seal and adhere.

The subject was discussed a few years back- if you do a search I'm sure you can find it, and my comments and recommendations about a certain brand that seems to do better than most others.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It has little to do with "moisture" and much to do with COST including speed of installation / loss of height. Once concrete is fully cured it is more stable than most other structural materials. The construction details should ensure that the concrete is not going to wick any moisture in from the ground or rain. If that happens it really does not matter about the flooring, the whole interior can be a moldy nightmare.

Modern barriers designed to be selectively permeable to water vapor can't be nailed through. That means after the barrier goes down the finish flooring needs to be attached to either a whole layer of subflooring or the depicted sleepers or "screeds". That goes MUCH slower than most flooring crews accustomed to full subfloor move, and adds a whole other costly step to the process.

In contrast, engineering floors are considered "floating" and each piece interlocks with adjacent pieces. Many have an integrated backing that makes for super fast installation. The whole system can be done by installers with no special skills.

The folks that SELL condos are notorious for making up stories and that highlights one reason why folks that know better really try to avoid BUYING from such less-than-truthful hucksters...

Old 03-17-2016, 09:23 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
Our condo is on a slab and we have engineered hardwood over it. We are not the original owners, so we were not there obviously to see how they were installed. I am curious what is between the wood and the slab. I have to believe their is a moisture barrier of some sort. Our place was built in 2010. So far, no problems at all.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
In my present and last home we had pre-finished engineered hardwood glued to the concrete slab and it has been great. Engineered hardwood is real wood that is built up in layers much like plywood is. The better (more expensive) products have a thick top layer (the finished layer) that can be refinished at least once and maybe twice.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:36 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Ugh...engineered is real hardwood. Its made of wood you know. Why don't people get it? The correct term is solid wood and I have both, both using glue down installation. We have engineered in the kitchen as I was told that it is best for kitchens.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Nobody said the engineered wood flooring is not "real wood". I specifically said that because of the way that it interlocks and has attached backing it is far faster to install for situations like condos or any place with a concrete slab. As others said, some manufacturers use a veneer that is too thin to ever refinish while others use a thicker layer. The factory finishes vary from "50 year warranty" types that are generally cured in a controlled way with UV lights and such to less durable coatings that do not hold up as well to household spills as good quality site finished hardwoods.

The OP should be asking the condo sellers about what sorts of warranty they offer, but as the seller's representative has already been making up stories they should get the warranty in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House