Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,734,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
While this looks nothing like my bathroom in terms of the actual style, I think it shows that keeping the tile confined to the shower area, even when it's to the ceiling, gives a much more open look to the bathroom as a whole.
I find it hard to believe that those open showers, with no doors, don't wind up with lots and lots of water splashed onto the floor. Do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 01:35 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,158,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts on complete wall to ceiling ceramic (or porcelin) tiles in bathrooms? Many of the bathrooms are cut in half with sheetrock and tiles but I liked the whole wall to ceiling look - call me modern with old style cravings?
My two bathrooms in the condo I bought are that way. I like it because the walls are easy to clean.

As for hanging pictures, sure you can. Carefully drive a thin nail between the joints of two tiles or where four corners meet. Have done it in several places, and no broken tiles and nothing has fallen down.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,030,085 times
I agree with the other posters in that generally I do not like how it looks at all, but occasionally I will see it done in such a way that it's OK. It really depends on the design. Also, if you break up the tile work so that it's not just the same squares or rectangles all over the walls (which is awful) it's much better. For example, break up the grid pattern with some mosaic detailing or a different size or shape tile design, or even a different color.

I also think, if you have your heart set on doing it, that the shinier the tile the worse it looks. So if you can find a more matte finish or stone type of tile it's much more aesthetically pleasing.

We stayed in a vacation beach house once and in one of the bathrooms they had beautiful stone tiles on the bottom half of the walls, then crisp white subway tile (with white grout) all the way up the rest of the wall AND the ceiling. It actually looked really nice and clean. But only because the bottom half was the beautiful brown'ish colored stone that gave it a warm earthy feeling. The floor was a dark grey tile, also with a more matte finish.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,156,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I find it hard to believe that those open showers, with no doors, don't wind up with lots and lots of water splashed onto the floor. Do they?
I'm sure it would in my house! That's why I have a frameless glass shower door. I get to enjoy seeing my beautiful tile work but keep the water in while showering!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,185,681 times
Thanks everyone! I remain as torn ! Lol

Old 03-21-2016, 02:42 PM

284 posts, read 361,526 times
I've seen some that I liked that had some decorative tile design mixed in or painted molding breaking up the tile, but it just looks to commercial for my taste.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM

61,531 posts, read 86,733,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Thanks everyone! I remain as torn ! Lol
The floor to ceiling tiled bathrooms are very popular in Europe. Classy and contemporary. I love the look.
The half tiled walls visually shrink a room. Anytime a design chops up a wall, it instantly looks shorter.
Using tile throughout an entire wall not only creates cohesiveness within a room, but can also make even the smallest spaces look brighter and larger.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:47 PM

550 posts, read 1,185,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The floor to ceiling tiled bathrooms are very popular in Europe. Classy and contemporary. I love the look.
The half tiled walls visually shrink a room. Anytime a design chops up a wall, it instantly looks shorter.
Using tile throughout an entire wall not only creates cohesiveness within a room, but can also make even the smallest spaces look brighter and larger.
Yes, thats exactly where the inspiration came from! It really makes you feel like an Oasis - - I agree, if done right and with center point design of mosiac or something..I am still working out the details..

In the long term though, the grout lines are doubled to maintain - there is no paint, plaster, or water splashing risk on the other side.. hmm!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:19 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,894,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm sure it would in my house! That's why I have a frameless glass shower door. I get to enjoy seeing my beautiful tile work but keep the water in while showering!
We have the same set up and like it a lot.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:45 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,502,087 times
I think completely tiled bathrooms look amazing. You never have to paint and they are sleek and modern and can be dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House