Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times

Advertisements

For the past 20 years I have owned my home, but spent 6 months to a year - almost every year) living in a rented home or apartment located in another part of the country.

For most of that time security has been a concern, but not an issue.

I retired a year and a half ago and have gotten used to the idea of being home all the time, but an special opportunity has come along and I am thinking of going across the country again.

If you own a seasonal home in a moderately populated area, how do you handle security - for when you are in the other place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,599,148 times
I have neighbors in each location keep an eye on each house when it's empty. I also have interior surveillence cameras that I can pull up on my computer or smartphone. The cameras also send push notifications when they sense movement.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:04 AM

47 posts, read 46,321 times
AlaskaErik do you have cameras outside? Did you install or have someone else do?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjka View Post
AlaskaErik do you have cameras outside? Did you install or have someone else do?

No outside cameras. I just got some cameras from Costco and set them up myself.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
A relative used a property management place. They checked on it physically. try getting a camera to know you have a gas leak or that your basement is taking on water.

the local police also knew to keep an eye on it.

Sometimes Neighbors would report any disturbances which was a plus.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,196,325 times
When we lived in Denver, we owned a mountain home that was about 2 hours away. We didn't do anything special for security, we didn't even know any of the neighbors (most of whom were also not using the homes as their primary residence). We would turn off the water, lock the place and that was it. When we put the house on the market and moved back to Texas, however, we used a local property manager. He would go in and check on it every other week. Also, we had a "smart" meter the gas company had hooked into the phone line which would indicate an alarm if the house temperature went down below X degrees. In the area where we were, at least, the property manager was not an easy find, believe it or not. He said very few people did what he did, and our realtor confirmed that. I was surprised, as I would think this would be a very common practice in those situations.

My in-laws own 2 homes and they live in each for exactly 6 months a year, so they are not second or vacation homes per se, but rather, 2 primary residences. They continue to pay their cleaning ladies to go in and check on the homes when they are unoccupied. I believe they even do it on a weekly basis, though I personally think biweekly would be sufficient.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:17 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,431,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
try getting a camera to know you have a gas leak or that your basement is taking on water.
That's just downright silly. No one in their right mind will leave a seasonal home without turning Both of those off at the meter.

Maybe someone, somewhere, has a meter inside the house (not in any of the 4 I've owned, or the hundreds I've inspected while shopping), or a faulty shutoff at the meter. But those are absolutely exceptions, the minority situations.

I don't own 2 homes, but spend 1~2 months a winter with my parents and my house is vacant. Neighbors are worthless (renters, they change every 4~6 months), so I use cheap webcams inside along with a motion detector targeting the only hallway, all with push notification to me. I also run lights and radio on timers that mimic our normal use and have family that drop in about once a week to just walk around.

It's always uncomfortable, just a situation I don't like. But I live in a Really poor town with heaps of unemployed/drug use and break-ins/thefts are nearly constant. If you live somewhere nicer, maybe it's not such a worry.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
A relative used a property management place. They checked on it physically. try getting a camera to know you have a gas leak or that your basement is taking on water.

the local police also knew to keep an eye on it.

Sometimes Neighbors would report any disturbances which was a plus.

The water is shut off, but I leave the gas on. I have neighbors at both locations keeping an eye out.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 AM

6,830 posts, read 11,565,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That's just downright silly. No one in their right mind will leave a seasonal home without turning Both of those off at the meter.

It would be quite difficult to run the furnace with the gas shut off.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:17 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Security? I keep my insurance paid up and the house is in a low crime area. Also, I don't leave anything of much value there.

Neighbors will watch, but the houses closest to mine also have occasional residents.

You can get security cameras that you can watch online. You can call police from wherever you are. Often police do not get there in time to stop the burglary.

Turn off the water meter, turn off the ice maker, turn off the water heater, set the heat on low. Maybe pay someone to keep the lawn mowed to make it look more like someone is living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House