Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:12 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

You need to have a CO detector in one of the bedrooms located near the furnace output vent.

Do not put it in the furnace room. You are trying to detect CO in the heated air which could happen if the manifold cracked; a possible failure mode for an old furnace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 05:58 PM

621 posts, read 1,122,970 times
Myth-1 – Heat Exchanger Cracks | CarbonMonoxideMyths.com

Old 03-26-2016, 08:19 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I saw someone post about a mattress yesterday and was hoping one of you knowledgeable people could help me with a furnace. Our current one is at least 22 years old, since we haven't replaced it and have been in our home since 1994. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so heating isn't a big component of our utilities bill. Of course I'd like to find something that is energy efficient (but also don't want to go broke on it). I did have some quotes awhile back (2012) that ranged from $3k to $5k, but couldn't tell you the units that were recommended. If you know of a good middle ground unit that is reliable, I'd love to hear your suggestion. Thank you in advance to some of the most helpful posters on City Data (I really love the retirement forum...so many nice people here).
22 years is fine for many a furnace. unless you have a very real reason to get rid of it I don't see why you would do so.

My furnace is from 1987 and works great. It is so simple I can fix it myself in 20 mins. once every few years it needs the same ten dollar part replaced. I keep on spare in stock and buy a new one when I use the old one.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:45 PM

179 posts, read 122,794 times
Unless there is a compelling reason, why waste the money. Do your ROI calculations and ask yourself if you are even going to be living in that house by the time you pay it off. You won't get what you put into it, back when you sell. This sounds like you are revisiting a question that you decided not to do anything about last time. Maybe you forgot all the reasons why it wasn't worth doing, and you need a "refresher".

Ballpark, what do you think your energy cost is per year, for heating? $100? $200?

Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 PM

1,099 posts, read 900,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Donalds View Post
Unless there is a compelling reason, why waste the money. Do your ROI calculations and ask yourself if you are even going to be living in that house by the time you pay it off. You won't get what you put into it, back when you sell. This sounds like you are revisiting a question that you decided not to do anything about last time. Maybe you forgot all the reasons why it wasn't worth doing, and you need a "refresher".

Ballpark, what do you think your energy cost is per year, for heating? $100? $200?

Actually the reason I got a quote last time was I thought it was on its last legs but after the bid, I had a repair man come over and it was just the filter and a relay. However, this time the heater will come on, get the heat to about halfway were it needs to go, turn off for a minute or two, then come back on and heat up to the level it should be at. One of my concerns is we are looking to rent our house out in the next year or two and I want to make sure everything is in good working order so the property manager won't have as much to deal with (let alone, I'd rather not have them replace something that I didn't pick out as there a chance we might be moving back to the house if we don't like the new area we're looking at). Hopefully that make a little more sense. But admittedly, I'm all about saving money and would love to keep it longer if possible. My wife and I are estimating it's a little over 30 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House