Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yeah, we didn't have the push mower...but I grew up with a wringer washer. At a young age I helped mom and sisters do several loads of laundry. The washer agitated, and turned off to grab the clean clothes to feed through the wringer. Into a rinse tub. That you had to hand agitate. Then flip the wringer to feed the clothes to the final rinse tub, where you put the fabric softener or bluing in the rinse. Hand agitate, flip the wringer around once again, and then wring into the basket to hang outside, if it was good enough weather....or hang them in the laundry room.

Then do it for more loads. The only good thing was you got to use the water over and over. You started with whites. Daddy's shirts and our blouses were first. White underwear was second. Sheets and towels were next. Then pants and jeans.

And no option, you had to press clothes.

I'll take automatic clothes washers, dryers, and lawn mowers, thank you.
The joys of manual labor in the house or around the farm are greatly exaggerated by people who have never had to actually do it regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yup- find a filling station that sells ethanol free fuel for your small engines…

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area... so far my searches have come up dry.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
gosh, I loved mine - and my small lot was no where near level.... scrub grass, sand, weird beach grasses.... but it was easy for me, I didn't have to keep a gas can in the garage (for some reason that freaks me out) and my neighbors loved it. every time I'd mow, someone would stop and watch - I even had a couple of teenagers take it for a spin - 1 pass across the yard. I could keep it a the right level, and it self-mulched the yard.... now the house I'm moving into has almost 1 acre and a nasty steep hill on the street. I am not sure what I'm going to do - I think the first few mows may be from a yard service til I see how the grass grows...

Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
3.5 acres. Need I say more?
Or zoysia grass.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Used one happily for a small, flat yard for several years. I have no idea why anyone would *hate* reel mowers.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area... so far my searches have come up dry.
You could resort to avgas, or, buy the True Fuel in the quart cans. At least for storage.

Or, you are a handy guy, set up a rig to separate the "hooch" from pump premium (a tank you can agitate, add enough water to get the ethanol to separate, decant this trash from the bottom, voila, ethanol-free regular (more or less). There are U-Tube videos out there.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We have one and love it. Quiet, light, no exhaust smells, and perfectly good for our yard. We do use a battery-powered weed whacker for difficult bits in between shrubs, but that would still be the case if we had a gas mower.

No neighbor has said anything derogatory about it. Your neighbor must just hate the sight of someone doing things without benefit of a noisy, smelly device. Makes him look a bit wimpy, maybe.
This has always been my suspicion with most guys....women like quiet electric or even "manual" stuff and guys like noisy gas-powered equipment. You'll rarely see one with a rake and NEVER with a broom...but with a gas-powered leaf blower in their hands they think they are gods!

Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I had trouble starting my mower today, it would not start. It had been in storage for 6 months between my moves. I went to Home Depot but didn't find anything so I went to Walmart and found a product called Liquid Fire and sprayed it into the carb area under the sponge filter and by the second pull it started.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...2L._SY355_.jpg

Old 04-06-2016, 02:50 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This has always been my suspicion with most guys....women like quiet electric or even "manual" stuff and guys like noisy gas-powered equipment. You'll rarely see one with a rake and NEVER with a broom...but with a gas-powered leaf blower in their hands they think they are gods!
Interesting idea. I wonder if a miniature jet engine could be set up as a leaf blower?

Maybe could talk Tim Allen into some venture capital...

Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
We still have a Farmall Cub, although it doesn't look as nice, and it needs some work to get it running again because it's sat in the tool shed for several years. I wish my brothers would to sell it to somebody who'd restore it ... there are a lot of people who do that in this area, and antique tractor shows are pretty popular. We sold my dad's big old Case tractors to a restorer about ten years ago, and he's got them both looking good (I ran into him at the county fair last year), but we kept the IH because it's a handy little tractor.
They are great little machines! My son and I drove 1,600 miles last week to the Oregon Coast and picked up this baby-

This one runs great and has the belly blade w/hydraulics.. I love old iron- it works better than the modern crap..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House