Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Fwiw, if you buy a "smartkey" lock from kwikset you can re-key the lock to match your old ones yourself - with no tools or disassembly & it only takes a few seconds. They only cost a few bucks more than the cheap lock sets & you can get them on Amazon or at the home stores. I use them on my rentals so I can Re-key the entire house between tenants for $0 in just a few minutes.
That's a good idea I am going to get one for my front door to match the deadbolt.

Reading up on it I think I won't be able to use my Definat keys with it so I will keep what I have for now.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 04-08-2016 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Yes - I'm going the smart key route. I wouldn't mind going keyless but the keypads mostly look very clunky and tacky and wireless is really expensive.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
There have been several quality brand lock manufacturers that I am aware of that quit manufacturing the "Smart Key" type of locks due to issues with durability issues inherent to being able to "rekey" the pins by inserting a special key. Be sure to check consumer reviews before investing in these.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That's a good idea I am going to get one for my front door to match the deadbolt.

Reading up on it I think I won't be able to use my Definat keys with it so I will keep what I have for now.
I've matched up Defiant keys to smartkey locks - might be worth comparing the key.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
There have been several quality brand lock manufacturers that I am aware of that quit manufacturing the "Smart Key" type of locks due to issues with durability issues inherent to being able to "rekey" the pins by inserting a special key. Be sure to check consumer reviews before investing in these.
I'd take internet reviews with a grain of salt - there are millions of the kwikset smartkey locks out there- especially in rentals & there's no reason to believe that problems are widespread. There isn't much "investment" involved - we're talking about $25 locksets (depending on finish & handle style). On the "typical" house, you might have front door, back door & garage door, all with a deadbolt, so $150~ish to replace all the locks in the house / vs (quite often) a $100+ service call to have a locksmith out to re-key the same house. And that locksmith might be re-keying $10 locksets of undetermined age.

Fwiw, it seems schlage stopped with their version of smartkey locks because they got sued, not because of problems with the locks..

http://www.kwikset.com/about-kwikset...h_schlage.aspx

Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hi -
I have a broken deadbolt on my front door - it was getting harder and harder to turn until it finally DID turn but doesn't open the lock!

So, I was planning to replace it, leaving the other lock on the front door in place. Well, now people are telling me I should replace both locks on the front door and also BOTH locks on the entry to the garage so that all 4 will be keyed the same. I actually don't even use keys...and have misplaced them so I can't verify if they were all keyed the same to begin with!

But does it really make sense to do all of them...and - is this even possible to go to a bigbox store and get TWO deadbolts and TWO regular ("push button") locks that all operate from the same key?

When I look online I see nothing about getting "sets" that are keyed the same, much less FOUR. I kinda dread walking into a store and trying to find a clerk to explain this to! So I'm asking you good folks for your opinions.
You can go to a hardware box store and buy a set of two knobs and dead bolts. If you cannot find the set kits with two locks and deadbolts in one oavkagr you can buy two single deadbolt/knob lock sets. You can skgo get individual lick and deadbolt and match them up by numbers.

Look on the package. There will be a number on a sticker like A234568 or 8897432 or some sort of number letter sequence on a sticker. (NOT the scan bar code number) If you look you should find a few sets of that same number/letter sequence. The locks in those packages even though they are separate are keyed alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Fwiw, if you buy a "smartkey" lock from kwikset you can re-key the lock to match your old ones yourself - with no tools or disassembly & it only takes a few seconds. They only cost a few bucks more than the cheap lock sets & you can get them on Amazon or at the home stores. I use them on my rentals so I can Re-key the entire house between tenants for $0 in just a few minutes.
You know, I have tried a smart key lock system on one rental. I'm putting them all on the other rentals as people leave or locks break. I used to call a locksmith but it was costing more than replacing the locks. Then I was replacing locks and deadbolts with basic cheap locks and deadbolts. Now I'm just replacing keys.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-10-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House