Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times

Advertisements

Last year we had Home Depot install our new high dollar siding and was not happy with the job their morons did.

Almost all the way through the job we found out that they were their/Home Depot roofers, not their siding people installer.

Their estimator gave us all kinds of promises on how good the installers are, if there was something wrong he'd make sure it was done right because here had 25 yrs of experience in construction. Constantly finding shortcuts they would try to hide with caulking, like, using screws in the siding to hide buckles in and under window J-channels, big gaps between siding and J-channel, siding not level in one area of siding, over cuts on the siding hidden with caulking, dent in the siding from their ladders because they didn't take the time to pad the ladder tops. And the list goes on and on.

It was so bad that I to the project manager the it would all be redone on one whole side of the house and all the mistakes that I found would be repaired. And the roofing team was to stay off my property and they were to bring in their real siding crew. Then I found out the real siding crew was constantly going in behind the other morons from job to job and repairing all the work/mistakes. They new exactly which roofing crew it was because of the screws and caulk hiding job they did.

We're still picking up roofing nails in the yard because one of the (Roofers) had a hole in his pouch. And the fact that they didn't take the time to put tarps down for the removal of the old siding. I asked a friend of mind if his son would stop over and look at the job, because he does siding for a living and now has his own team, "I wish I knew that before hand". Needles to say, we're still making repairs and are now waiting for the weather to give us a break so we can complete the rest of the screw ups.

So............if your going get work done, call a professional and get it done right the first time. Do a walk-around without them there to distract you, write everything down that you see, make them repair the problem areas and DON'T PAY THEM until the job is done and done right.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-18-2016 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I had two projects done by HD contractors last year: the installation of 4 skylight blinds in my sun room and carpet installed in my upstairs bedroom. I had no complaints about either job.

I think when it comes to big jobs like roofs, siding, windows, remodeling, etc, I prefer to pick the contractor first and let him get the materials from whatever source he wants. If I have something specific I want -- I have been replacing some of the old, ugly improperly installed vinyl windows in my house with 6-over-1 double hungs -- I tell him what I want and let him find them.

Home Depot and Lowe's both use local contractors from lists they maintain. What you should do is send a written complaint to the manager of your HD store listing your problems with the contractor, so that at the least, this particular contractor gets taken off their list of contractors.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I had two projects done by HD contractors last year: the installation of 4 skylight blinds in my sun room and carpet installed in my upstairs bedroom. I had no complaints about either job.

I think when it comes to big jobs like roofs, siding, windows, remodeling, etc, I prefer to pick the contractor first and let him get the materials from whatever source he wants. If I have something specific I want -- I have been replacing some of the old, ugly improperly installed vinyl windows in my house with 6-over-1 double hungs -- I tell him what I want and let him find them.

Home Depot and Lowe's both use local contractors from lists they maintain. What you should do is send a written complaint to the manager of your HD store listing your problems with the contractor, so that at the least, this particular contractor gets taken off their list of contractors.
The funny part about this is, "they never e-mailed me a questionnaire about my experience and the job". I guess they didn't want to hear the truth about them using roofers for a siding job. That was just another way for the regional installation manager to make as much money as possible. I still plan on going to their corp web site and send them the pictures of the sad job they did and the caulk they used to cover screws they put into the siding.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
You mentioned J-channel so I assume you are talking about vinyl siding. There should never be caulk used on vinyl. If your account is accurate, you got screwed and need to be in contact with your local Home Depot, yesterday. They actually have pretty high standars and will can a crew if their work sucks. I've worked with a contractor for HD and Lowe's doing garage doors.

Don't spend another dime or another minute until you get clean up in HD's arse. You paid for a product AND a service, and that is what you should get.

Free tip: don't jump all over whoever you talk to on the phone.

I've had many dealings with Home Depot customer service over the past 15 years and I've never walked away feeling unsatisfied.

The amount of tiem you waited to voice a concern may be an issue, but escalate it to the next person in line. I'd almost bet a dollar you'll wind up being taken care of to your satisfaction. Home Depot didn't get to where they are by screwing their customers.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 PM

@ Spankys bbq,

Thanks for the info, but its been since Aug. of last year when they were last here. I'm afraid it may be too late to get any satisfaction from HD over their idiot installers.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,790 times
I would definitely complain. We subbed out a tile flooring job for a customer, when they completed the installation, the grey thinset was showing thru the white grout. We told the contractor and he said give it awhile to dry and it would go away. Well it didn't, we called contractor back and he said give it 21 days to cure out and the customer was not happy. We hired a restoration company to seal the grout with a titanium white sealer. We then sent D'Sapone Restoration's invoice (which had before and after pictures per line item) to Home Depot and we have never heard back. Maybe they will respond, if not at least they know the job was not complete correctly.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
This is not the place for consumer complaints.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaning-Machine View Post
I would definitely complain. We subbed out a tile flooring job for a customer, when they completed the installation, the grey thinset was showing thru the white grout. We told the contractor and he said give it awhile to dry and it would go away. Well it didn't, we called contractor back and he said give it 21 days to cure out and the customer was not happy. We hired a restoration company to seal the grout with a titanium white sealer. We then sent D'Sapone Restoration's invoice (which had before and after pictures per line item) to Home Depot and we have never heard back. Maybe they will respond, if not at least they know the job was not complete correctly.
I think for my piece of mind I'll leave be for now and never go back to them for any work. My wife was so PO'd about the whole thing she wouldn't even stick around when they did show up to try and fix their screw-ups. We hired the young fella from down the road and he fixed most of it no time flat. That did make her feel much better, the God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House