Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,500 times

Advertisements

For those of you wanting to design and build a new custom home.... or those of you who have recently just went through the process:

How well do/did you understand the design and construction process before starting?
How do/did you start to learn about it?
Any good resources describing both the design and construction process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:36 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
How well do/did you understand the design and construction process before starting?
This is the job of the builder to walk you thru the process before you start construction. It's called Setting Expectations. It also gives the buyer the opportunity to ask questions and for the builder to know who you are and what your exact wants are. The plans, construction process, inspection process, stages of construction, home owner orientation, should all be discussed before any dirt is turned over. If you didn't get it when building a custom home, you had a lousy builder.

Quote:
You can start by setting a maximum amount you're going to spend. Then visit builders model homes to get ideas of what you like and don't like. Pay close attention to kitchens and baths and if you really like one, take pics and measurements if possible. Then you'll have the plans drawn, I suggest a designer over an architect. In my area, it's hard to find a "architect" that has a clue. They draw pretty pictures but most often it's not buildable. Then get an appraisal on the plans and lot you intend to build on. That will tell you if you can afford it or not and what the absolute maximum it will cost. The mortgage companies will not loan more than the appraisal so the builder is pretty much locked into it as a maximum price and he should be under it. Then find a builder with a good reputation and get an appointment with him to discuss the house. Expect that a good builder will probably have some minor plan changes like A/C placement, maybe changing a room size by inches to save lumber, etc.

Quote:
More than likely a lot more complex than you can understand but the best is:
Information Search | BSC | Building Performance

There's a lot that goes into a custom home other than hammering nails. Orientation on the lot can effect utility bills by as much as 20%. Our bad weather comes from the northwest here. We place the garage on the northwest side to kill the wind and cold. Window type and placement can be critical. Where the mechanicals are placed effects how quick you get hot water at different locations, can determine the size of A/C required, to list a couple of items. If there are trees on the lot, we try to place the home so that the house is in the evening shade to limit radiant heat exposure. You might also ask at the local college if they have any construction classes you can take. Most of the above is covered in Construction 101.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We kind of did. We moved and then restored an 1836 home but we had o build a new kitchen/mudroom/bathroom sunroom. The custom addition is as large as some homes.

We did an identical design which included two story addition to there was a new master bedroom above the kitchen. An elevator went from the basement to a hidden scullery in the kitchen to the master bedroom closet. A tunnel connected the basement tot he carriage house. The master bedroom also had sitting area, a fireplace, a balcony over the pool (I was going to add a zip line) and and awesome two part bathroom. We took our carefully developed most awesome plans to several contractors. The price for the addition and revisions to the existing house was $1,025,000.

Our "meet with reality" design was just a kitchen, sunroom, bathroom and mudroom. Seems
like the price came out to about $175,000. That may have included work on the existing house though.

Anyway we understood the design and process thoroughly. I drew the initial plans for the layout and approximate dimensions and the architect made them workable. Then I sat with him and we revised them for VE and some tweaks that I wanted.

I kind of cheated because I am a construction lawyer and had nearly 20 years of experience at the time. Thus, I knew more about some aspects of the construction process than the contractor did. I learned a lot by talking about construction issues and processes with clients and friends in the construction industry. Google can be a good resource for the basics like "What is balloon framing?" "How do build a masonry basement." Etcetera. Because I did the wiring myself I referred to Google, to the NECA book and to my older brother.

I do not know of any good single resources as in a book or something like that. The best resources are people. Second best are code books.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:04 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not know of any good single resources as in a book or something like that. The best resources are people. Second best are code books.

Lets revise that a touch... the best source are people who have read and understood the code books, the second best is to read and understand them yourself.

My wife and are are also "almosts", ran into a few issues when it came time to actually build as it was the height of this latest bust and we couldn't get a construction loan (too many vacant houses on the books).

But we went through the design stage. That was simple enough, we knew we wanted custom (a modern take on mid-century modern):

So we found an architect to draw it up for us. Guy worked freelance and contracted with other freelance guys to provide us with copies of wiring, plumbing, HVAC, etc... we then found a local builder who did good work and was willing to take on the job. Those 2 talked a lot to work out fiddly details (I wanted the build to be low-waste, meaning using full lengths of materials).

We set the budget at $100k and they estimated no more than a 10% over-run with materials costs after the builder got with his subs. He also agreed to factor in my help (site cleanup daily, assisting in any other way I could) to mitigate costs.

Unfortunately we didn't get to build it, but I think it's been better for our overall budget too as we've since bought 2 houses for less than what that 1 would have cost to build, and I'm certain it would have been a Very hard sell if we ever needed to sell.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRad View Post
For those of you wanting to design and build a new custom home.... or those of you who have recently just went through the process:

For someone who claims to be "architect"- you sure ask strange questions. Or is this the start of your master's thesis? If so, I suggest you confirm your direction with your advisor- I can certainly think of better resources than an open forum.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,500 times
Thanks everyone so far for your responses. It seems like many people are relying on the builder to educate them on the process, and sometimes the architect if they work with one for drawings. And google.

I'm an architect and trying to gauge how much people know about the process of designing and building custom homes (and if there are any resources out there that people are finding helpful). I hear it a lot that people have an idea for a house design but don't know what to do next.

Educating people on the process is part of my job, but it only works when people make the first move and come to us. Oftentimes, people don't even take that first step to talk to someone (a builder, an architect, or even know someone who has built before). They get discouraged right off the bat and forget about their idea because the process seems too daunting or confusing. So the education process never happens. It's discouraging because people have great ideas but nothing gets built because of lack of understanding at the onset.

So my questioning is simply to see if there are any good resources already out there helping people. If not, then I think I might create something for people; a thorough step-by-step guide to the design and construction process for people who are thinking of building custom and want to learn more about it....Something people can learn about BEFORE even coming to an architect or builder for their project.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:32 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRad View Post
We did an extensive poptop renovation in 1987. We spent $135K to buy the bungalow and $130K to reno.

Did not know much. But, I am a engineer nerd.
a. Spent 2+ years in the planning process.
b. Subscribed to magazines and read them all and clipped out interesting pieces/photos.

What I would do today:
1. Budget 2+ years for planning. Changes on "paper" are cheap and changes during construction are not.
2. Subscribe to:
Fine Homebuilding
Kitchen & Bath Design News
Qualified Remodeler
Atomic Ranch
Modern in Denver
Dwell

3. Find a good architect. Easy for me as I already know a few.
4. Not worry about selecting a builder until well into the process. Ask the architect for recommendations.
5. Spec everything. Down to the drywall screws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House