Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 AM

618 posts, read 939,013 times

Advertisements

I received a hand me down lawn mower from the previous owners 2 years ago. It takes gas but I just found out every season the oil needs to be changed. I Googled it and it seems complicated. Is it really necessary? The potential for a spill on the driveway or on the grass seems high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I received a hand me down lawn mower from the previous owners 2 years ago. It takes gas but I just found out every season the oil needs to be changed. I Googled it and it seems complicated. Is it really necessary? The potential for a spill on the driveway or on the grass seems high
Is this a walk-behind mower or a lawn tractor?

Walk-behind is super easy - I try to do mine every season though that's probably only at about 15 hours of use, not the every 25 hours recommended. Here's a VERY easy video:

How to Change Oil in Lawn Mower | The Family Handyman

Last edited by reneeh63; 04-17-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 11:08 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Yes, for maximum engine life, changing the oil is absolutely necessary!
However, if maximum engine life is not a concern, just add oil when necessary and run it until it dies.
I don't know about your area, but here there are a couple of businesses that will come to your house and service lawn and garden equipment. Usually, they don't drain the oil, they have a vacuum pump that allows them to suck the oil out of the engine, then they put new oil in.
Of course, you can do the same thing with what used to be known as a "rose gun". It looks like a grease gun, but it is a suction device. Suck the old oil out, squirt it into an empty gallon jug, then fill with fresh oil. Take the old oil someplace to be recycled. With reasonable caution, there will be little or no mess.
Good luck.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:38 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Good grief, yes it's important if you want to maintain your equipment.

Don't do it if you could care less about the mower and just "throw it away" (BTW, where is away?) when it dies.

If you're only worried about making a mess, get an oil extractor. I've been using a $30 Pela unit for more than a decade on cars, motorcycles, ATVs, lawn mowers (walk behind, tractor and zero turns), etc... The hose goes in the oil fill tube, you pump a handle a few times and the oil is sucked into a container that's easy to pour from. You'll need to know where you closest oil recycle container is (probably the corner auto shop, parts store or gas station), but that's no different than if you changed the oil on anything else.

You'll Also want to check the blade, the belt(s), cables, and probably change the air filter (and maybe the spark plug, if it runs I wouldn't bother).

Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
It's about 5 min of work. At least with my lawnmower.

Open oil cap, tip mower to drain into oil catch pan. When done, put mower back on wheels and add correct amount of oil.

Any oil that spills, some kitty litter ground into it usually absorbs it up if you let it sit for a little bit. Any residue left will be baked away over time by the sun

Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 AM

426 posts, read 958,490 times
Kitty litter works to clean up messes, or you could spread out some old newspapers, cardboard or a trash bag and avoid a mess.

Still trying to wrap my head around the concept of changing the oil in a lawnmower being "complicated".

Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Kitty litter works to clean up messes, or you could spread out some old newspapers, cardboard or a trash bag and avoid a mess.

Still trying to wrap my head around the concept of changing the oil in a lawnmower being "complicated".
Yeah, me too. There are many Youtube videos that show how easy it is. I change my oil once a season as we have a very small yard.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 PM

618 posts, read 939,013 times
My wife and I just changed the oil. Easy. 5 bucks for the motor oil and we dumped the oil out. Just keeping the old oil in a container until we know what to do with it.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
My wife and I just changed the oil. Easy. 5 bucks for the motor oil and we dumped the oil out. Just keeping the old oil in a container until we know what to do with it.
Advance Auto, O'Reilly, AutoZone all have oil recycling programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House