Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Some of our condos have a vanity sink IN the master in an alcove type thing besides the bathroom. Mine is that way. I don't need two sinks but that's how they built it..
I own a small house, not a condo, but the master bedroom has a large vanity area that is in the master bedroom leading to a separate shower/toilet room with window. Across from the vanity is the second of my closets. (Yes, I get both of them and DH uses a full closet in a spare room for his things.)

I love having a vanity area off to one side of the master bedroom, and the best of both worlds would be to have one off to the side, like I have now, and also another vanity in with the shower and toilet. I had that arrangement in a former apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 04:32 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
3700 sq ft and we're talking closet size??

Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I own a small house, not a condo, but the master bedroom has a large vanity area that is in the master bedroom leading to a separate shower/toilet room with window. Across from the vanity is the second of my closets. (Yes, I get both of them and DH uses a full closet in a spare room for his things.)

I love having a vanity area off to one side of the master bedroom, and the best of both worlds would be to have one off to the side, like I have now, and also another vanity in with the shower and toilet. I had that arrangement in a former apartment.
That's how my place is laid out too!

I actually use that BR vanity I said I didn't particularly need because it's never hot and humid like in the bathroom after showering AND I have a mouthfull of capped teeth that are a daily hygiene project.

So I guess our builder knew what he was doing. It's 55+condos so it makes sense for a couple.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:21 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I have children so no spare room closet. I would never buy a house with insufficient closet space.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:37 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
My, my how things are relative. Not say this is you….but so many people are influenced by fantasy open houses, HGTV, Million Dollar Real Estate shows, etc 9x15 isn't a small master bathroom. (not compared to mine which is 5x7)

I also have the same option I could make one of the master closets smaller, but I'd only gain one foot of bathroom space.
Definitely not worth it.

Personally, I'd never give up closet space to make your size of bathroom bigger. It's already 9x15. How much bigger do you want it to be? And for what? Just because?

On the other hand do it. You're the one who's living there. And if it turns out you made a mistake resale-wise. So be it.

Quote:
I like "spa baths" that are oversized and roomy. I like both a nice sized shower and a nice soaking tub. I like separate dressing areas and split vanities.
You can't get that done WITHIN the confines of a 9x15 space? Seems to me you'd have a lot of "open floor space" you could use to make a tub or shower bigger.

Quote:
The home is 3700 sq ft, but it is a compact 3700 sq ft. None of the rooms are oversized,
God Bless America, where a 9x15 bathroom is too small, and a 3,700 sqft house is "compact."

Last edited by selhars; 04-22-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 11:26 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My, my how things are relative. Not say this is you….but so many people are influenced by fantasy open houses, HGTV, Million Dollar Real Estate shows, etc 9x15 isn't a small master bathroom. (not compared to mine which is 5x7)

I also have the same option I could make one of the master closets smaller, but I'd only gain one foot of bathroom space.
Definitely not worth it.

Personally, I'd never give up closet space to make your size of bathroom bigger. It's already 9x15. How much bigger do you want it to be? And for what? Just because?

On the other hand do it. You're the one who's living there. And if it turns out you made a mistake resale-wise. So be it.

You can't get that done WITHIN the confines of a 9x15 space? Seems to me you'd have a lot of "open floor space" you could use to make a tub or shower bigger.

God Bless America, where a 9x15 bathroom is too small, and a 3,700 sqft house is "compact."
It is relative. When I lived in NYC, my condo master bath was probably the same as yours. I don't live in NYC or LA, so larger master bathrooms aren't unusual and my bathroom isn't gargantuan. People need to remember that.

And yes, I want a little more open space in my bathroom. The tub size is fine. I agree with the prior poster who stated that I had a shower problem, which I do. So I intend to square it off and make it bigger whether the bath is enlarged or not.

In addition, while large, my home was not designed with a lot of wasted space hence why I called it "compact". 100% functional space v. gobs of open space that our previous house had. the rooms aren't supersized, though if you compare them to the rooms of a home in New York City, they indeed may be.

Everyone has their own individual desires...for whatever reason. One of mine is a bigger, more spread out bathroom. The point of my post was to see whether I could achieve that by cutting down on closet space since neither my husband nor I need giant closets. Obviously closet space is a big deal to most, so we're thinking on changing things up maybe to give the impression of more space.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Totally valid points, but the other side has some truth to it as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It is relative. When I lived in NYC, my condo master bath was probably the same as yours. I don't live in NYC or LA, so larger master bathrooms aren't unusual and my bathroom isn't gargantuan. People need to remember that.

And yes, I want a little more open space in my bathroom. The tub size is fine. I agree with the prior poster who stated that I had a shower problem, which I do. So I intend to square it off and make it bigger whether the bath is enlarged or not.

In addition, while large, my home was not designed with a lot of wasted space hence why I called it "compact". 100% functional space v. gobs of open space that our previous house had. the rooms aren't supersized, though if you compare them to the rooms of a home in New York City, they indeed may be.

Everyone has their own individual desires...for whatever reason. One of mine is a bigger, more spread out bathroom. The point of my post was to see whether I could achieve that by cutting down on closet space since neither my husband nor I need giant closets. Obviously closet space is a big deal to most, so we're thinking on changing things up maybe to give the impression of more space.
I have been in some homes that are measured out over 5000 sq.ft. but feel "cramped" becuase many of the areas that typically get used everyday are oddly shaped and I have been in homes of half that measured square footage that are very comfortable becuase of better layout. Also agree that once you get accustomed to a particularly size & function even a shift of a few inches can make a tremendous difference in how day-to-day use improves. I would even go so far a to say that how much natural light or how "exposed" one feels in your bath due to window placement can make big differences in how usable the space is.

The other side of the coin is that often when a homeowner calls up some generic remodeling company and tells the representatives "my bathroom is not big enough" and they proceed to start 'stealing' space from closets or adjacent bedrooms the end result may be more square feet dedicated to the bathroom but a space that still is not any more comfortable / functional AND the creation of additional issues for storage or bedroom spaces. Not good either.

The solution is to not just rely on the opinions of those of here in cyberspace nor to hire some "I have a truck and tool-belt so I am remodeler" type buffoon, but instead to interview professionals that have the training and experience to actually address the unique challenges of even 'minor' renovation projects. For folks that do spend time meeting with different qualified firms they often end up SAVING money by changing the focus of a project from a costly and ill planned "gut makeover" to a more focused change that improves just the problem areas that the client narrows in on. For all the time that TV shows spend with cameras tracking the 'demolition' phase of make-overs they rarely emphasis the back & forth that is necessary to get the best solution on paper before all the works starts. Back when HGTV worked with designers like Michael Payne there was a bit more insight into how real design process usually work, Michael Payne explains how couples can share creative control in design projects
folks could learn a lot from listening to how that can play out --
Quote:
I have to mention there were many occasions when Joe [ used here as a generic representative of 'the husband' ], the one who had never really had much of a design voice, was the one with a much better sense of style. He really had a fine eye, but had never been given the opportunity to reveal it.
I would say that at its best the forums here sometimes work like that -- a poster comes looking for "How do I rip this all out and start over" and then folks share pictures and ideas of how they did not have to rip everything out or how they just changed a few little things and the consensus is the end result is better than a more extreme solution...

Old 04-22-2016, 12:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Back when HGTV worked with designers like Michael Payne there was a bit more insight into how real design process usually work, Michael Payne explains how couples can share creative control in design projects
folks could learn a lot from listening to how that can play out --
Michael Payne was my absolute favorite HGTV personality and designer. The rooms he created were so nice.

Another, unrelated thing I wanted to mention is that those of us who are not designers sometimes aren't as sure of what we want, as we think we are:

In my case, for years I THOUGHT I wanted a 48"x72" shower instead of my cramped 22"x30" shower (with dangerous inward swinging door). I was ready to pay through the nose to get one. However, fitting one into my home was a problem so although I had contractors out to look at it, I never put in the new shower.

I recently sold that house and moved into another home, which has a 42"x42" shower, and much to my surprised it has plenty of room! I just didn't know that a shower this size would work for me.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Now that I have a walk-in closet, I can't imagine life without it. Pathetic "first world" problem, but there you have it. I really appreciate having the walk-in closet for storage.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:51 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
emm,
here's an old listing photo showing the bathroom. fwiw our bath has since been repainted and has new, more contemporary, tile. For sure we're going to re-do the shower as it is cream-colored marble (a 90s fixture that was stained by the previous owners) and the brass shower enclosure. .....
Are the two doors at the end of the room both doors into the closets? If so, I would remove the wall between the closets and close up the door closest to teh shower. You'd have one very big closet instead of two medium size closets, and you could update that shower into a better shape.

The big problem that I see with that bathroom is that it looks very economy grade. It doesn't look small or cramped, it just looks lacking in style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House