Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 PM

11 posts, read 17,713 times

Advertisements

I have an areaway (ie walk-up basement). Our areaway is very similar to the one in the attached photo. This past winter, we received 3+ feet of snow (MidAtlantic, DC metro) and I had a really tough time (ie labor intensive :-() clearing the showdrift in this areaway. The whole stairs leading to the basement (abt 18 steps) were covered in 3+ feet of snow.
The next time such a big storm comes (which is not often..maybe in next 3/5 years) I will like to be prepared ie not have to big out the showdrift from the stairs.

I am looking for something inexpensive and not permanent. This is what I am thinking, the next time such a snowstorm is predicted
1. lay some pressure treated 2x10s across the walls leading down to the basement entrace.
2. lay down a few pieces of 3/4th inch plywood (painted/water-proofed, of course) over the 2x10s

This will cover the whole areaway and prevent show from leading down the stairwell...and it will be easier to showel off once the storm ends.

I am looking for feedback on my idea and or other suggestions.

The stairwell is 4 feet wide, about 15 feet long and about 12 feet deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Snow cover for areaway-areaway-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Ribbed storm panels are easier to deal with and would store in less space and be stronger. In either situation, you have a liability of someone walking on the cover and falling through. With snow covering it, there is no way for a stranger to know it isn't solid. Tented canvas or a tarp could be a solution.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:03 PM

Wouldnt the 2x10s resting on the concrete walls and then covered with the plywood be strong enough to support weight (snow + man)? I should have added that I plan to place the 2x10s approx 6inches apart. I had not tough of strangers falling thru - I was more thinking abt how I will have to stand on the structure and clear out the snow.

Storage is not a big concern (I have enough space to store this).

wrt Tented canvas or tarp : when we get large amounts of snow, will that (canvas/tarp) collapse under the weight of the snow; thus dumping the snow in the stairwell; thus causing the very problem that I am trying to avoid (manually clearing out the snow from the stairwell).

Old 04-20-2016, 06:08 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Where are you in the DC area that got 3 feet of snow at once this past winter?

I agree that the danger is someone not knowing the boards are there and falling through.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Where are you in the DC area that got 3 feet of snow at once this past winter?
near IAD. DC was bulls-eye for the storm that came thu around Jan 23rd..

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I agree that the danger is someone not knowing the boards are there and falling through.
Are you saying that a frame of 2x10s (spaced no more than 6 inches apart) and then covered with 3/4th inch plywood will not be strong enough to support the weight of (man + snow)?
This stairwell is at the back of the house with no direct street access. Some will have to come onto my private property to get to this. Also, the stairwell has a railing - I plan to build this temp. structure below the railing ie the railing will be visible.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
Your idea sounds fine and will work.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciciid View Post
near IAD. DC was bulls-eye for the storm that came thu around Jan 23rd..

Are you saying that a frame of 2x10s (spaced no more than 6 inches apart) and then covered with 3/4th inch plywood will not be strong enough to support the weight of (man + snow)?
This stairwell is at the back of the house with no direct street access. Some will have to come onto my private property to get to this. Also, the stairwell has a railing - I plan to build this temp. structure below the railing ie the railing will be visible.

Ok, what you're describing will likely work. But you'll have no access when it's in place and if you use it a lot (I would imagine that you won't want to keep taking it down and setting it up) it would be tiresome moving it around.

Also, even though it's on private property never, ever underestimate the stupidity of your fellow man.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
2 x 10s 6" apart is stronger than many subfloors given that the span is so short. It'll work, but it'll also get old fast - both in building and removing it every year* and in the wood being subject to weathering and rot. One other thing to note, if that area is a fire exit by code, covering it would be a violation and danger.

I'm sure you have seen the awnings that look somewhat like a quarter cylinder or half cylinder on its side. The structure of those is rigid and lightweight. If the snow falls relatively equally, the form would create what is in essence an igloo from the fallen snow. It would still be possible to exit from the basement.

*I used plywood and 2x6s for storm paneling in Florida for a three years and was glad to upgrade to storm panels. It SEEMS easy to use plywood and 2x's but it is a pain, especially after you have done the drill a few times.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I'm sure you have seen the awnings that look somewhat like a quarter cylinder or half cylinder on its side. The structure of those is rigid and lightweight. If the snow falls relatively equally, the form would create what is in essence an igloo from the fallen snow. It would still be possible to exit from the basement.
Thanks for sharing your real-world experience - this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll look around for the igloo-type awnings but I dont know what exactly to search for (ie what are the called)? Do you know if this structure is permanent or can be set-up on demand (I prefer on-demand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
2 x 10s 6" apart is stronger than many subfloors given that the span is so short. It'll work, but it'll also get old fast - both in building and removing it every year* and in the wood being subject to weathering and rot. One other thing to note, if that area is a fire exit by code, covering it would be a violation and danger.

*I used plywood and 2x6s for storm paneling in Florida for a three years and was glad to upgrade to storm panels. It SEEMS easy to use plywood and 2x's but it is a pain, especially after you have done the drill a few times.
I do not anticipate using it frequently - probably averaging less than once per year. The plan is to build (& immediate subsequent tear-down) only when a significant snow-storm (1+ foot of snow) is predicted. I figure the pain of the set-up & tear-down will be less than the 4+ hours I had to spend cleaning the stairwell during the last storm.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:32 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
I suggest a glass pyramid like at the Louvre. You'd be the envy of the neighbors. A small one wouldn't be more than maybe $100,000 dollars.

How could it have possibly taken you 4 hours to shovel out your cellar stairs? DC gets a 18"+ snowfall maybe once per decade. It would take more time to install and remove a cover every year than it would take to shovel occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House