Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,244,483 times

Advertisements

Lol...mine always chirp at 3am. Never fails. I have probably changed all of the batteries in the last 6 months. But I will probably change them again in the fall before we go on vacation. The cats would go nuts if they heard chirping for days on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 01:01 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,550,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
^^^^ This is worth the money. NO MORE CHIRPING!!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,700,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
^^^^ This is worth the money. NO MORE CHIRPING!!

Have you used this particular battery before?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 18,124,000 times
Quote:
I just put that and some Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries in my cart. I need to go count how many I need. My CO/smokes take AA but I'm not sure how many per detector.

When those lithium batteries go, it will be time to replace the detectors.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 AM

22,423 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Quote:
LOTS of horrid reviews about battery life with that one.

How many years did yours last?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 3,184,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I have many smoke detectors in the house, and they keep chirping 1 by 1. The standard battery is the Carbon/"heavy duty" type, Everready brand. So they definitely put the cheapest battery in here. The smoke detectors are hardly 10 months old!

So should I buy lithium 9v batteries to put in there or regular alkaline. The best prices seem to be on Amazon. They have Energizer lithiums and the Amazon brand of batteries have very good reviews (alkaline). Is it with it to spend the money on lithium 9V in smoke detectors? I'm reading reviews that the lithium 9V in smoke detectors don't really last that much longer than alkaline.
Batteries have become yet another third world - quality item forced on the US consumer. They've known for decades how to make a battery that lasts - but they want your buck, so those batteries are suddenly unattainable. I am now no longer purchasing anything battery operated unless it's absolutely necessary, and buy the cheapest batteries I can find, because today, they're all throw aways.

My smoke detectors have Duracell 9v batteries which seem to have escaped the "drain fast" technology (Duracell's other batteries like AAA, AA are overpriced junk), but I think they have detectors now with built in batteries of a higher grade, lest the detector itself get a bad name. If you're going on Amazon, I'd look around.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:48 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,438,152 times
When we renovated our house in 2012, we installed "hard wired " smoke and CO2 alarms on all 3 floors, no more replacing batteries, although they do have "back up batteries " that only come on if the entire house electrical supply goes down. When the house electrical supply comes back on the alarms recharge the batteries .

Here in Canada, the standard practice is to replace the 9 volt batteries twice a year, at the same time , as the clock changes. I can't imagine somebody complaining about the cost of one or two batteries, compared to the loss of a house, or a LIFE. Sometimes being frugal is just stupid.

Jim B.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:54 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,700,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

I ADORE Amazon but not sure I'd do batteries there. We have a battery store in my town (yes really LOL) so I went there.

I've used Amazon basic AA batteries and they lost long and well! Seems to be the same as Duracell. Don't know if all their batteries are good. The reviews are very good on there also.

Not sure if they're cheaper than Kirkland AA batteries at Costco. I need to try those.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,550,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Have you used this particular battery before?
Yes!

Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,874,301 times
Changed the batteries in the smoke detectors in our new house and was surprised to find that half used 9v and the rest use AA. That ticked me since I bought enough 9v to change batteries in all of the units. Had to stop and go buy more AA's, THEN deal with reaching that one smoke detector about 13' up in the vaulted ceiling of our Family Room.

Fun times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House