Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM

284 posts, read 362,229 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1461270566
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions on what to do with dropped soffits in foyer and kitchen-6.1-soffit-view.jpg   Suggestions on what to do with dropped soffits in foyer and kitchen-3-foyer.jpg   Suggestions on what to do with dropped soffits in foyer and kitchen-7-kitchen.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Funky!!

I would bet that those are not structural but very likely have at least a lot of electrical running if not also some HVAC purposes. It would probably be easy enough to get an "inspection camera" and poke a small hole in the top of each soffitt (from a proper ladder...) so that you can verify how much is hidden inside. If you really want it all gone it is going to quickly become a VERY large job -- as part of total remodel of the kitchen and adjoining space it makes sense, much new drywall, light fixtures, cabinetry, etc, but as a project on its own it would not be cost effective...

Did you just buy the place? Fridge and oven look new. Places seems clean and well cared for. What is your goal? Total make-over? There is a large amount of carpet in this space, is that part of the re-do?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM

"Funky!!" I love it! Guess in the early '90's, this was considered chic

We're actually buying this house. It's a great house, but definitely needs some updating, like slicking the ceilings, replacing carpet with hardwoods and putting tile in the kitchen. The cabinets are good quality, so we'll be keeping them, but I'd would like to stain them to match the hardwood at some point down the road. Right now though, we want concentrate on opening things up to take advantage of the vaulted ceilings, especially in the kitchen by removing the soffit over the breakfast bar and the small wall beside it, put in granite and make the bar area big enough to seat at least 4.

The foyer soffit should be a fairly easy fix, just cosmetic. The kitchen one has recessed lighting in it for sure, so will have to reroute electric, so not an easy fix. Just hoping we'll be able to remove it and put pendant lights in the vaulted ceiling, but I'm afraid that's going to be really expensive. If so, would you consider removing the partial wall, enlarging the bar, and just leaving the soffit?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM

I understand the desire to reduce / eliminate the carpet. That will be a HUGE change. Personally, the style of the home might look really nice with a natural stone or simulated stone tile throughout the majority of the space, similarly the right hardwood could really update the whole space -- rip out the old looking tile in the foyer, run the same new material in "great room" and kitchen. Of course that might be a VERY VERY costly upgrade but I would almost certainly give top consideration to that.

I think if you then consider changing the color scheme with PAINT the objection to the soffits may be greatly diminished.

There are people that would KILL to have as much space as your home has! Space is a good thing EXCEPT when it comes to things like MATERIAL COSTS -- all new flooring is going to a signficant expense even if you find some bargains. That said, the way that your "great room" is defined by the soffits is rather unique. If you modify them it is VERY DIFFERENT than somebody that "tears open" a tiny dated space -- HOUSE*TWEAKING Beleive me, to get your current kitchen to an "end state" that looks like a magazine is going to a five or six figure effort --

What I fear happening with an attempt to remove the soffit from the foyer is you have a very unbalanced look vs the kitchen area soffit, which provide a kind of symmetry and visual anchor to the vaulted ceilings. Even more worrisome if you attempt to remove the soffit(s) from the kitchen is what to do with the space that will now be ragged and unfinished. Even leaving the soffit above the cabinets is problematic. While the architect or designer that drew up the plans for the soffits and uplighting may not win any awards for 2020 era current design, the execution of functional recessed light for downlighting and the uplighting for general illumination to enhance the brightness provided by the large skylight is actually a very good solution. If you get some lumber-yard remodeler that starts hacking at this I fear the result with be both functionally and aesthetically nightmarish.

Even finding a electrician that is eager to install pendant light from that vaulted ceiling that are safe, properly leveled, and capable of home-owner bulb changes is NOT an easy task -- every electrician I know hates having to set-up scaffolding to do this kind of job, and it slow work to decide where the "imaginary ceiling line" created by the pendants are both creating the right light pool and properly scaled to the room. Worse, all the COSTS of modifications like this can really be a snowball effect -- even an honest estimate that assume there is an easy path to bring electricity to the vaulted ceiling from existing dining room chandelier or ceiling fan can end up tripling if there issues with how the vaulted ceiling is framed. Worst case there is hidden deterioration and then the right thing to do may involve replacing many many sheets of drywall. At that point the decision really becomes one of "now is the right time to gut the whole space" and believe me this is not like a "flipper show" on TV where you magically sell for more than listing prices -- all that work burns a huge whole in the finances of homeowners...

Bottomline: One step at a time. Easy and achievable items FIRST. Flooring & paint colors. Probably an upgrade of the countertops and maybe backsplashes. Don't bite off too much!

Last edited by chet everett; 04-22-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Suggestions on what to do with dropped soffits in foyer and kitchen-living-room-2.jpg

Chet, you've made some great points and have definitely given me things to consider and/or reconsider. Especially about tearing out the soffits, which I really am nervous about doing. You mentioned using paint. I've attach a picture showing the current paint color to see what you think could be done to improve the look of it if we decide to keep them. Would painting the soffit one color make it look better without the white contrast? I still want to take out that wall beside the bar and make it a large semi island. We would remove the chandelier, because the bar would then become our eating area. Would love to hear your ideas on how we might make these soffits look a little more contemporary. Thanks!!

Last edited by Drift Away; 04-22-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 11:13 AM

The picture I previously linked to seems "on trend" to be in terms of currently popular "high contrast" look, though some folks would say harsh white & black is too hard to live with day-to-day (dust and every spider web is instantly visible...). I have also have seen many design folks use things like distressed 'barnwood' to great effect when trying to update spaces --
[IMG][/IMG]

I am not the best to guy to ask about color and such but I do know that when I go to stores I see LOTS of stuff that emphasizes this kind of "natural by not neutral" look --
[IMG][/IMG]

Not sure if that is your "style comfort zone" but the idea is that is you shift away from the "neutrals" that in your existing photo include the carpet and wall paint into something that more of those "weathered stone and wood" tones you instantly flip the calendar forward about two decades (though personally this tile probably will soon look dated too, I would probably try for a good price on either hardwoods or natural stone...) -- [IMG][/IMG]

I can see, in the more angle shot, that you have and even BIGGER and brighter kitchen space that originally shown, so maybe it does make sense to think about "paring back" most or all of the vertical wall that currently screens the far end of the breakfast bar. The trick to doing that in a way that does not look like a afterthought will probably involve using some kind of software so you can do some simulated 3D animations that let you visualize what happens to the sight-lines if you remove all of the wall or just part. Some of the firms have free versions, though it may make sense to talk to a professional that is skilled in all the details -- Plans and Pricing | RoomSketcher

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-25-2016 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,517 posts, read 6,325,190 times
Chet has some very good ideas. I agree lighting could be a problem. That wood wall is kinda nifty. Im partial to the woodsy look myself.

I wonder how it would look if you removed the foyer soffit and enclosed the kitchen by enclosing the area above the bar soffit with a wall. Knock down that high bar and move as much side wall as you can . You could have your huge island and the whole side of the kitchen would still be open. Once the soffits are inside the kitchen you might be able to live with them for a while and look into removing them later. Sometimes a little paint can make a big difference.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
In the first pic, I'd choose large pottery pieces that you love for the open "dropped soffits." (I didn't know that's what they were called. I call them dustcatchers!) I like the way they look open in the kitchen and other place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House