Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,356,551 times

Advertisements

Just saw this at Home Depot today. Was skeptical, but watched the product demo - pretty snazzy. Matter of fact I think I want one . It's 6 grand. Yes. Six thousand American dollars. I actually think it's a great idea. Samsung is stepping up their game.

You can order groceries from the door of Samsung's new fridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,908,654 times
You should never use tech just because you can and I think that is the case here. Just something else to break leading to very expensive repairs when it does.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You should never use tech just because you can and I think that is the case here. Just something else to break leading to very expensive repairs when it does.
So true. I was really surprised at the functionality of it however. It has internal cameras that give you a picture via an app of your fridge contents. Monitors how much you need to replenish, acts as a "family hub" for events and such. Pretty cool.

Only thing I didn't like right off the bat was the handles. I didn't like the reaching in to open the doors.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 PM

37,096 posts, read 42,088,112 times
Seriously OP? None of that stuff is necessary, it's a toy for folks who like buttons to press.

A fridge needs to keep food cold, period. No way am I paying for useless gadgets that malfunction. I don't even have a thru the door dispenser and don't want one.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,830,409 times
I recently read an article about the "connected " devices the different companies are pushing to the market not having the security software installed that is needed to keep others from hacking into the device, and that unless this flaw is addressed there could be issues in the future. The scenarios that were presented were very concerning, and makes me hesitant about purchasing any of these devices until these issues are corrected. In this case, though, the price would be a major hurdle, too.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,908,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I recently read an article about the "connected " devices the different companies are pushing to the market not having the security software installed that is needed to keep others from hacking into the device, and that unless this flaw is addressed there could be issues in the future. The scenarios that were presented were very concerning, and makes me hesitant about purchasing any of these devices until these issues are corrected. In this case, though, the price would be a major hurdle, too.

There is lot of devices that have come onto the market with some serious security flaws and the other issue is the users of them never set them up properly. Specifically they don't change the default passwords. Baby monitors, cams or whatever.

There is other vectors of attack. Suppose you have a smart lock on your front door. You're sitting in the coffee shop and connect to spoofed network, they hack into you GPS device. They obtain the password for the locks, the GPS leads them to your house. The GPS also tells them when you aren't there...

As far refrigerators go.... Fridge caught sending spam emails in botnet attack - CNET

Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is lot of devices that have come onto the market with some serious security flaws and the other issue is the users of them never set them up properly. Specifically they don't change the default passwords. Baby monitors, cams or whatever.

There is other vectors of attack. Suppose you have a smart lock on your front door. You're sitting in the coffee shop and connect to spoofed network, they hack into you GPS device. They obtain the password for the locks, the GPS leads them to your house. The GPS also tells them when you aren't there...

As far refrigerators go.... Fridge caught sending spam emails in botnet attack - CNET
All valid points. The flip side of connectedness which my usual hyper vigilant self typically hones in on. This one time, I was almost giddy looking at the cool features. You both are absolutely correct - the security issues are real and should not be overlooked.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 PM

13,108 posts, read 20,844,908 times
Wasn't there already some refrigerator that enabled you to enter what you had in it and subtract the quantities you removed. It also had the ability to connect to your computer or smartphone to print or provide a list of grocery items to buy. It also let you know when something was inside too long as well as all sorts of other internet connected services to make cooking, shopping and monitoring so much easier. All I can remember is it flopped because after the novelty of using it and the bragging rights of saying you own one wore off, most people found it to just be technology just for the sake of technology with no real world usefulness as well as a colossal waste of money. But you have those that will stand in line for days to buy the newest iphone even though they bought the last newest iphone a month ago when it came out after standing in line for days.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,093,306 times
We don't even have our ice maker hooked up yet and we have been in our home since August but I don't have all the curtains up either. That fridge is nothing we would even entertain to purchase let alone actually pay $6000.00 for one.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,038,992 times
People who said this was "technology for the sake of technology" probably never been in a situation when they were at a grocery store trying to remember if there were any eggs left in the fridge. I personally could get a lot of use from this technology, especially, if I could have a pantry similarly equipped with sensors or cameras. This would make writing shopping lists obsolete and I could go on an unplanned grocery shopping trip on my way from work, without fear that I'd forget to buy something important.
Of course, I would never buy a fridge for 6k, but I hope one day in not so distant future this will become common and much cheaper. I think the biggest question would be effective use of space. This fridge is so big, I would need to buy a new house first . But if it is smaller and food is cramped, like it is in my fridge, which is probably only half the size of this one, will the cameras work? What are the other ways we can keep track of food quantity? Sensors on shelves? I wouldn't mind that: my husband always complains about my lack of systematic approach when I put stuff in the fridge and he might have a point.

Technology often keeps us organized in life, why not in the kitchen too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House