Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 09:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My front doorway looks like hot garbage and I hate it. It is on a cape cod and there are some problems with the frame, door sill and storm door. I would like the whole thing updated and made to look better but I am not even sure who to contract. I have a general contractor who is good but he will just replace everything and do a solid job at it. I want it to look better and function better.

Does anyone have any idea of who to contact and what to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 09:10 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times
We're getting a new front door and we're getting it directly from Pella. I'm sure if you go on their website you can set up an appointment.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:31 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
The most common entry door for traditional cape cods is the small 6-lite door with two tall raised panels.

Most other doors are other bigger 6-lite (or 1/2 lite) and 12 lite.

If your GC does a good solid job, why kick him in the teeth? Just tell him what you're envisioning- I'm sure he can make it happen. You make it sound like he does what he wants- not what you want!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Similar options from all major source ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
We're getting a new front door and we're getting it directly from Pella. I'm sure if you go on their website you can set up an appointment.
Pella is a good firm and does have resources on their web site to arrange for an either a factory trained independent representative or authorized contractor to install the products they market. Similar levels of convenience are available from all the major firms that market exterior entry doors. If the OP is not familiar with the various kinds of "systems" that available I would strongly encourage them to do some online research over the options that range from traditional solid wood 'millwork' to more modern fiberglass or steel systems that all have pluses and minuses...

Best Entry Door Buying Guide

How to Pick a Front Door | Doors | Interior | This Old House

All the marketers offer similar web enabled sites as Pella --

Entry Doors | Therma-Tru

Residential Entry Doors | Exterior Front Entry Doors | Clopay

Fiberglass Entry Doors and Steel Entry Doors | Masonite

https://www.andersenwindows.com/prod...al-entry-door/

Many local firms have similar sites designed to help folks make a wise choice -- Comparing Door Materials (Wood, Fiberglass, Steel) :: Iver H. Carlson & Son Articles

Choosing an Exterior Entry Door: Steel, Wood, MDF, Fiberglass & More

Door Installation & Repair Services | Handyman Services

Old 04-20-2016, 07:04 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
Thank you everyone! I have a plan now.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 AM

169 posts, read 331,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pella is a good firm and does have resources on their web site to arrange for an either a factory trained independent representative or authorized contractor to install the products they market. Similar levels of convenience are available from all the major firms that market exterior entry doors. If the OP is not familiar with the various kinds of "systems" that available I would strongly encourage them to do some online research over the options that range from traditional solid wood 'millwork' to more modern fiberglass or steel systems that all have pluses and minuses...

Best Entry Door Buying Guide

How to Pick a Front Door | Doors | Interior | This Old House

All the marketers offer similar web enabled sites as Pella --

Entry Doors | Therma-Tru

Residential Entry Doors | Exterior Front Entry Doors | Clopay

Fiberglass Entry Doors and Steel Entry Doors | Masonite

https://www.andersenwindows.com/prod...al-entry-door/

Many local firms have similar sites designed to help folks make a wise choice -- Comparing Door Materials (Wood, Fiberglass, Steel) :: Iver H. Carlson & Son Articles

Choosing an Exterior Entry Door: Steel, Wood, MDF, Fiberglass & More

Door Installation & Repair Services | Handyman Services
thank you for that informative post. I am in the market for an exterioe door and love the scroll design wrought iron doors. Yet i cant seem to find where to go see them or buy them....should i be looking for fiberglass first and the within that the wrought iron doors? Please advice. thanks

Old 05-02-2016, 09:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Technically speaking most "wrought iron scroll" exterior doors you will find are going to be decorative or storm doors. Of course there are some solid wood or fiberglass composite or even all metal doors with appropriate thermal breaks that incorporate "wrought iron scroll" along with windows (often called lites in industry parlance...) that will come in search results on the web. These tend not to be as common as the "stock" offerings from the larger firms and more often are supplied by specialty firms or even true "custom shops" that will design a unique solution for each customer. If you start with some online searches for "wrought iron entry doors" and then focus on what local firms may be available this can be a good way to see both with is available nearby as well can be shipped to you, with the latter you would then need to line up local qualified installation from an experience exterior carpentry crew...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House