Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 09:42 PM

274 posts, read 855,379 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just bought a home in TX. My husband is a career musician, and our new home has a small, detached, finished studio space (10x10) that he is using a practice studio. The previous owner used the space as her home office and regulated the temperature with a window air conditioner and space heater. My husband has a large music collection and a number of musical instruments that would be stored in the studio, and we're looking for a climate control solution that would be more easily regulated than just a window air conditioner, especially since we frequently get temperatures of over 100F. We don't want the room to get over 78F, and since he routinely travels and doesn't use the room every day, we need an automated system. What's the best and most economical solution? It looks like our options right now are a ductless mini-split or a small central air unit with a single duct. Anything else on the market that might be a good fit? We really don't want to spend more than $1500 on this- would love to spend a LOT less than that if possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsub...-XhoCCHbw_wcB#

I see a lot of these installed in Data rooms to keep things cool. I know they work very well.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Those are viable options. There are also newer window a/c units with heat strips that install just like any other window unit or they can be installed through the wall. These units operate much quieter and are controlled just like a normal a/c unit with their onboard thermostat and controls. For the size you want, they can be as low as a few hundred dollars all the way up to near your max price. It all depends on the quality and features of the unit.

here's one example of a unit with all the bells and whistles including wi-fi connectivity and is Energy Star rated. Probably more than you need but it's at the top of the range:
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj.../YS10N10C.html

Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Since you're only trying to condition a hundred sq/ft-
Just use a window type heat pump. It will certainly handle the space and your budget.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:31 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"My husband has a large music collection and a number of musical instruments that would be stored in the studio..."

Just thinking out loud, "What could go wrong, what could go wrong..."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House