Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Beautiful house, but the CTS-V parked in front is what got my attention.
Thanks, the mods begin next week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:05 PM

15,936 posts, read 12,238,409 times
Did I reply here yet? 8/10. Since closing Oct 21 almost the entire upstairs has been redone in some way including removing old carpet (those carpet tacks and the deteriorating padding in master bedroom... ugh) sealing subfloors with 2 coats of oil based kilz and installing new floors, tearing out the peel and stick tile in the master bath and deodorizing and installing new stuff, painting every wall, every cabinet, every piece of trim, every door, installing new door knobs, hinges, new receptacles and switches... the only thing I haven't done myself was actually install the carpeting, that and a radon system I had put in to reduce radon levels in basement from 25 pci/l to .7 pci/l (and it also makes the basement smell like the upstairs.. neutral and fresh)

Other good things... roof shingles, eaves, siding, gutters, all in great shape. Well insulated.. walls are fully insulated and attic appears to be R-60 insulated without compromising the soffits or ridge vents. Drainage system good.. drain tile installed with 2 sump pits with sump pumps though the pits are both dry, the water table varies due to what I was told was farmers installing drain tile type systems on land that is prone to flooding during wet periods in order to "create" farmland (which seems like it should be illegal to me) .. electrical is fine.. could use a new panel but no federal pacific breakers or anything. Circuits are stretched a bit thin in some rooms as would be expected from homes even into the 90's they did that. No more backstabbed receptacles on the upper floor.

Why only 8/10? I dunno... yard is somewhat bumpy lawn mowing though not as bad as other home I had... exterior walls are only 2x4 not 2x6... windows could still use updating they don't actually leak and operate still (1977 andersen windows) but the window panes are nowhere near modern standards for cold reduction and they're quite yellow in spots ... lower level work has yet to begin. I have to commute 7 miles to work instead of 3 miles (oh no)

What do I like? Floorplan is great, house is large for what I paid with 3 beds and 2 baths on main level, nice kitchen, nice livingroom, main floor laundry... lower level same size as main level.. could turn it into 5 bed 3 bath house if I added 2 egress windows and a bathroom... 6 bedrooms if I finished every last area of space but not gonna do that. The rooms for the bedrooms are already there, the bathroom is not. LARGE family room with old (original to the home) wood burning stove and pool table (still gotta fix up that pool table then I plan to take up pool)

I should be able to profit $30K even if I turned around and sold it immediately so I'm happy enough but I bought it to live here. I got lucky there were no major issues.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-30-2016 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, my house is a 10000.

Yes, I just bought it last June so I am still absolutely crazy about my house. It is just perfect for me, and I never want to live in another house, ever. Offer me the Taj Mahal for an even trade? No thanks, if I have to live in it.

I suppose that some day I might find a flaw in this house, but I have lived here since July 1st and it is still my dream come true. I keep looking for things I might not like, and instead I keep finding or appreciating wonderful little features that I didn't even know about when I bought it.

Not meaning to brag, of course! I suppose most other people would not even like it. It's just got everything I wanted, and nothing I didn't want.
Update: I posted this last May, and by now I'd say my house is at least a 12,000 on a scale of 1 to 10.

OK, there was one problem which I had to fix. The (very old) HVAC cratered in September so I had to have the whole system, everything but the ducts, replaced. On the one hand, that was pretty pricey. But on the other hand, I already had a pretty good idea that it wouldn't last much longer anyway. Besides, now my house has strong, flawless, perfect air conditioning and heat, and a guarantee so I won't have to worry about heat or AC for years to come.

The longer I live here, the more I love this house.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:15 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,182,182 times
I would give it a 10 I have lived in this house for 11 years and I love it. We have 2 car garage and then a golf cart garage(same size as a single car garage) , we use the golf cart garage for a workshop . We have views of the lake and golf course, community is wonderful.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:38 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
A lot of happy homeowners... I would rate my house a solid 8 but that's only comparing how happy I am with the current house... if I compared it with the plans for my future custom built house, it would probably be a 3... so it's all relative to what I am comparing it to...

Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,578,207 times
I give mine a 10...Remote ..

Old 01-01-2017, 12:36 AM

4,488 posts, read 3,910,362 times
I rate my house a 9.9. If I had a 3 car garage it would be a 10.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 AM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times
It's about an 8 for me. This isn't the house I'd choose if I could have anything I wanted, but it's got many things that are important to me. I have natural gas service, a wood burning fireplace, a front porch, screened porch with glass panels to cover those, and a deck. There's very little lawn. It's quiet enough, and I live on a dead end street. I'd like a basement and a bigger garage, but this will do nicely, thank you.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,315,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, my house is a 10000.

Yes, I just bought it last June so I am still absolutely crazy about my house. It is just perfect for me, and I never want to live in another house, ever. Offer me the Taj Mahal for an even trade? No thanks, if I have to live in it.

I suppose that some day I might find a flaw in this house, but I have lived here since July 1st and it is still my dream come true. I keep looking for things I might not like, and instead I keep finding or appreciating wonderful little features that I didn't even know about when I bought it.

Not meaning to brag, of course! I suppose most other people would not even like it. It's just got everything I wanted, and nothing I didn't want.
The Taj Mahal is a mausoleum.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:51 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,315,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The location is a 10.

The house is an old farm house we gutted and rebuilt...........big mistake.

Now, we just have a lot of money in a big old house.

Every time someone tells me how nice it is.......it make my skin crawl.
Every time someone tells me how nice our home is, I regret we had to make so many (building code, financial, and material availability) compromises on our original intent. I can't wait for it to be finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House