Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont think Id like anyone coming in but if your used to that sort of laid back easy life with others cleaning up after you I dont suppose you even notice staff milling around..not for me though.. even on holiday I dont like maids coming in to tidy.. ours is always tidied with beds made and floors washed.. some though leave their apartments a tip and dont care that the overworked help must be exhausted in the heat....
^^This is not at all what life is like for the folks I know who use a cleaning service...

Is the "overworked help" you're referring to the hotel staff at a resort? Are you saying it is ok to leave your room messy if you vacation to a cold weather destination since the "overworked staff" wouldn't be "exhausted in the heat"...??? And are you saying you mop your hotel room? I'm confused by this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I have someone who comes every two weeks and brings a helper with her. They come when I am at work so I don't "have staff milling around." My son and I tidy up before hand, and I make it clear to him that picking up our stuff and putting it away is not their job, it's ours. I try to keep things fairly neat on an ongoing basis, but there's usually a 15 minute scramble the night before to make sure all the floors and flat surfaces are tidy.

I'm a single mom working a full time professional job. My time has a value and I've decided I would prefer to use my time outside of work for things besides the routine cleaning.

I do the same when traveling - I do not "clean" or make the beds, but I do make sure that my belongings are tidied up and put neatly in drawers & closets or in my suitcase.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I was going to hire a domestic or maid but my husband think they would steal .I think it is because his mother had one who thought she stole her ruby ring . He says he thinks the sister stole it but never knew for sure and now since that was put in his mind many decades ago he does not want us to hire anyone to clean house .

Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Yes. She comes in about once every 4 weeks to do a deep clean. I work a lot of hours and travel so my free time will not be spent cleaning.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
We hire someone once a month to do a "deep" clean, they clean the baseboards, mop/wax the floor, clean the bathrooms and showers, and dust everywhere.

My wife is a SAHM, so she keeps up with daily vacuuming and cleaning counter tops and stuff like that, but she doesn't have the time to deep clean the entire house while watching a child, so it works well to have someone come once a month to help out. It's $120 for 2-3 people for 3-2 hours.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
I have a reasonably priced cleaning woman come once a week. She does laundry and ironing, changes all of the the bed linen and deep cleans the bathrooms. I really don't need her to do much else.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
I hate, loathe and despise cleaning, and my hip being in such bad shape just makes it worse, so though I can't afford a housekeeper right now, I definitely will soon!!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
When I was working I had a couple come in once a month - floors, windows, bath and general straightening up. It was great to come home from work to a freshly cleaned home.
Once I get my new home set up I can see doing that again.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:32 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Heck, yes. With the hours I work, if I have any down time, the last thing I want to spend it on is scrubbing the bathroom floor! I have a wonderful woman who comes once a week, changes out all the linens, does the floors, bathrooms, gives the woodwork a good once-over once a month, dusts, etc. Occasionally she'll polish the silver and she keeps up with the windows and doors that the dogs leave nose prints on as they monitor the backyard. :-) I love to walk into the house after she's been there -- it's so fresh and sparkling! I keep it reasonably tidy, but no, I would never leave crap lying around (magazines, old mail, shoes, cups, saucers, etc.) and expect her to put it away. I want her concentrating on stuff I don't have time to do well. She's what makes the difference between a "picked up" house and a "clean" house.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times
We have someone come in every other week, 3-4 hours to deep clean kitchen, bathrooms, floors and dust/vacuum.

We generally keep the place picked up and the kitchen gets cleaned as used (which is usually daily), but general vacuuming, sweeping, dusting is as needed between visits. We always make sure the house is picked up for cleaning days so they can focus on deep cleaning items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House