Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times

Advertisements

I bought a home built in 1900 and the main water service lines coming into the home are lead, and quite corroded from what is visible in the basement. Plumber said the job would cost ~$2500 to replace the lines from the street hookup to our waterpump, but that is very expensive right now and he would have to rip up our fairly redone lawn and brand new cedar fence to dig under.

We have used the Brita pitcher water filters in the past, but I read recently these are NOT good for removing lead. Does anyone have good recommendations for filters that remove lead and won't break the bank? We don't need a whole house one. Just one for cooking/drinking water. Could be pitchers, faucet, under the sink, on the counter, etc, just want something that will work well!

EDIT: We haven't got the water tested yet, but I would be surprised if there wasn't some lead in the water since the line was so corroded the plumber said he wouldn't even touch it in fear of it breaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:28 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Google shows all sorts of articles, including this one:
What you need to know about water filters to remove lead

Old 05-31-2016, 02:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
So you're not worried about the pipes leaking/breaking in the near term, considering what the plumber said? You're just going to wait until you feel like you new landscaping and fence have "depreciated" enough to feel okay about fixing the pipes? At least get someone else to look at them and get the water tested before you make any big decisions for or against.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:53 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So you're not worried about the pipes leaking/breaking in the near term, considering what the plumber said? You're just going to wait until you feel like you new landscaping and fence have "depreciated" enough to feel okay about fixing the pipes? At least get someone else to look at them and get the water tested before you make any big decisions for or against.
More so that it's $2500.... Could be more based on any complications that arise. I'm not sure if they will attempt to put the fence or sod back either, so that can be another big expense on us.

Current plan now is to keep using it till it breaks! When it does we'll shut the water off at the street and get them to come in. A $100-300 water filter sounds much better than a $2500-$3500 repair.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

Current plan now is to keep using it till it breaks! When it does we'll shut the water off at the street and get them to come in. A $100-300 water filter sounds much better than a $2500-$3500 repair.
Ummm.... very short sighted. Obviously you are unaware of all the water damage that can and will occur when your deteriorated pipes burst or wear through...

Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM

497 posts, read 428,189 times
I can't speak to the condition of his pipes, but it sounds like they have been working OK for the past 115 years or so - so the probability that they will burst or wear through in the short term is not that high. If the pipes remain relatively undisturbed, there is not necessarily a risk from lead in the water. I had lead pipes at my last 120 year old house. We were also part of our water districts lead pipe study, and as a result had the lead levels in our house measured every 3 months for the 8 years we lived there. Our lead levels were no where near unsafe levels, ever. The reason being that over the past century, a layer of mineralization had built up on the inside of the pipe, and the water really did not come into contact with the lead. Get your water tested, and if the lead levels are OK, don't disturb the pipes and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm.... very short sighted. Obviously you are unaware of all the water damage that can and will occur when your deteriorated pipes burst or wear through...

Old 05-31-2016, 05:07 PM

I agree that lead in the water itself may not even be an issue.

However, I HAVE had lead pipes develop pinhole leaks. And the water damage, when it became visible, was fairly extensive.

The OP said the plumber evaluated the pipes, and that the plumber would not touch them as he was was afraid breakage was imminent.

That is what my comment was addressing... the fact that the OP had deteriorating pipes and would rather wait until they break instead of repairing them now.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i ran mine with pvc, all in one day cheap

Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
I would look into alternative piping, rather than waiting till you can afford copper tubing. PEX is now used widely and meets code in most places. PVC is used mainly for drainage lines, not supply.

Traditional plumbers may not suggest these newer materials. But they are much less expensive, and comparatively easy for the DIYer.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
One thing is certain - there is some kind of natural law that governs the situation: If someone has been in the house every day for the last 100 years, the one weekend that they all go away is when the pipes will let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House