Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:30 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, I don't carry keys-haven't for close to a couple of decades. I don't drive so I don't need car keys and if the house is locked, I'm usually with my husband who has the key. However, I learned this past winter that I SHOULD keep a key to the house in my purse because my husband left his house key at home when the house was locked! Luckily, we gave a key to someone who we were able to get a hold of.

Anyway, he has been using a D-clip that he hooks on his pants. It is easy to take on and off.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I have keypad entries for all exterior doors of my house.

My car has remote entry and push button ignition. So, while I have to have a key fob on me, I don't actually have to use it. It is the only key I carry, and is permanently attached to the zipper on my wallet.

Ever since I lost a wallet last year, I use a wallet that can be (and is) attached to my purse with a short sturdy lanyard.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
First, sorry to post here, not able to find a right forum for this topic.

So I am looking for an alternative key chain, what do you use? I am not a lady, so not handbag to hold keys.
I use a carabiner, no, not a climber, just hooks nicely on a belt loop and I don't have to fuss with pocket stuff to get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of keychain do you use?-0606161030.jpg  

Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
None. I just stick the "key" in my pocket.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My house key is on a separate key ring from my car key. Years ago someone said to do that, in case you get carjacked or something, at least they won't have the keys to your house!

Mailbox key and utility keys are on a separate ring, too.
I tend to think that the carjacker won't be coming to your home, their only interest is to get the heck away and that's really their intent.....

Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I tend to think that the carjacker won't be coming to your home, their only interest is to get the heck away and that's really their intent.....
You willing to trust your life, as well as the lives of those who live there, that the carjacker isn't a junkie who will do *ANYTHING* for their next fix? Including using the key to open the door to the house on the registration/insurance card?

Who says that the person who jacks the car doesn't sell that key/info to someone else who has other... interests... than property theft?

The "I have nothing worth stealing" argument is just another variation on "I have nothing to hide". Sadly uninformed... though if you live alone and are fine with the risks, help yourself. I feel bad for the people who are put into that situation by another though.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:31 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I have this:
Spoiler

and carry it in my back pocket. Love it - it's soft & fabric friendly, keys are all together, and I can even put in some cash and credit cards.
http://goo.gl/mTGjQa
Here are many other options:
https://goo.gl/KK2LPV

Last edited by elnina; 06-06-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My house keys are attached to my wallet.
Oh I wouldnt trust myself with that stan.... if you lose one you lose both..

Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My house key is on a separate key ring from my car key. Years ago someone said to do that, in case you get carjacked or something, at least they won't have the keys to your house!

Mailbox key and utility keys are on a separate ring, too.
I have three cars (plus occasionally I drive my wife's car), so no point in putting house keys on car keys. Since I don't want to just carry one random key around, the wallet is perfect.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Oh I wouldnt trust myself with that stan.... if you lose one you lose both..
The wallet would hurt. $100 and an hour later, I'd have the front door rekeyed.

Either way painful for me to get all the cards reissued - especially the license, but unless they're super speedy, they couldn't even do anything with the wallet bc I don't carry cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House