Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,087 times

Advertisements

I would definitly agree there are good contractors out there, but for every good one there is a guy/gal that doesn't know what they are doing, doesn't care, or is blatantly trying to rip someone off. A personal example is the house I recently bought has cracked tiles since the floors weren't leveled and has warping hardwood floors cause they didn't leave any expansion space. When I tried to find out what brand materials were bought from the previous owner (so as to maybe salvage the jobs), all he could direct me to was some online referral service he used that had sent out who knows whom. Obviously whoever did the work half-assed it, and the owner didn't know any better.

I agree that Holmes on Homes is complete overkill when it comes to fixing problems, but you have to look at the premise behind his show and reputation. Basically his mantra is that through proper construction, a house should last an extremely long time without problems. So in order to do that he has to replace all the cheap construction with higher end products so as to protect his reputation. If a house he fixed started having mold, cracks, etc a year or two later he'd be off the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
OK free cookies for all those hard working blue collars sacraficing holiday meals for the gipper!
Don't think it goes unappreciated. I'd rather wait on line for a contract with you than be juggled on a calendar for 9 mos of piecemeal work.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,894 times
question about holmes on homes show
are these homes on here real mess ups or set ups for tv? my dad owns his own construction company and can do everything and hes always been a good honest and reliable contractor. i ve never seen antthing so bad!! unbelievable!!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 PM

286 posts, read 749,791 times
I love the show. I agree with others the "rip it all out" is for show and overkill. However, I am glad he does it so we can see it rebuilt/done right.

My questions:

With all the shoddy work and code violations he finds, are any of the city inspectors who passed the shoddy work held responsible and fired???

Does Mike go after the contractors who do the shoddy work to get reimbursed for his time/money for doing the repair jobs on his show? I know he does not charge the customer you see on the show.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0986 View Post
are these homes on here real mess ups or set ups for tv? my dad owns his own construction company and can do everything and hes always been a good honest and reliable contractor. i ve never seen antthing so bad!! unbelievable!!
Not everyone is like your dad, unfortunately. Some do it because they love the job, others do it for money, and only for money.
Many contractors have a limited staff, poorly trained, or trained for a job (for instance plumbing) but asked to do anything (electrical work for example). So the work is done by someone who just doesn't know how to do it! Hence the problems...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
Since this thread has been resurrected-

I've watched that show so much...

recently when watching a TLC show on a bathroom remodel I shouted out....

HEY! You are doing that wrong! You forgot the waterproofing membrane before your thinset!

my daughter just started laughing at me hahaha.

I learned something!
(I just know I see Holmes use this orange plastic paper stuff on top of his backerboard BEFORE he puts up tile...and the TLC show didn't)

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaten View Post
There's a TV show on the DIY network called Holmes on Homes. Mike Holmes is a contractor who goes in and fixes all the crap work that other so-called contractors do for people (such as finishing basements, additions, etc.) It's amazing all of the code violations and shoddy work that he finds from supposedly good contractors. It's kind of frightening to watch and makes me wonder how home owners can ensure that they hire competent contractors when they need work done. Even with referrals from friends, some of these contractors turn out to be horrible. I was just wondering if anyone watches this show and has any comments. Does Holmes play up the shoddiness of the work just to make the show more dramatic or is it really so bad that he always has to tear everything out? Have other people had experience with bad contractors?
I watch the show pretty regularly. I've encountered some of the same crap when working on rental property. It's absolutely unbelievable what some people cover over with drywall. They get out of the house, get their pay check, and on they go.

I like the show, partly because I learn some things as I'm watching it.

That said, Mike Holmes obviously picks "the worst of the bad" to fix on his shows. It'd be pretty darned boring to see him go in and (for instance) fix a shower where everything was right except that they used sanded grout when they should have used un-sanded.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0986 View Post
Your dad is obviously one of the good contractors - and he is to be highly commended for that! I'd bet he rarely (if ever) has a shortage of work to do.

Unfortunately, there are also some real doofuses too, and some unethical curs. Those are the guys who give everyone else a bad rap.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 AM

302 posts, read 607,859 times
Ah, yes...you are the exception to the rule though since you apparently have a "conscious". Like with any profession, a conscious effort will put your reputation above the competition.

Keep up the GREAT work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
LOL I have taken 5 minutes to call someone only to be 10 minutes late. I return all phone calls and have replaced a defective pump on Thanksgiving morning.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 AM

302 posts, read 607,859 times
And, in my opinion...I think "Holmes on Homes" is a great show just because he's so passionate about his job and he shows a lot of compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House