Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 01:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times

Advertisements

I just bought a LP tank fire pit table and it will not light. No propane is making it to the burner. I am looking for suggestions and hoping I do not have a defective regulator. Here are the details I can provide:

Propane tank is full and works in my grill.
All parts of the fire pit fit securely
I did a leak test with soapy water and I see no signs of leaks
The igniter does produce spark
I cannot light it if I use a match
There is no gas smell coming from anywhere near the pit
I have opened the tank while connected and let it sit several minutes, still didn't light
I have opened the tank and turned the burner on and waited up to a few minutes and smelled no gas. I shutoff, waited a minute and tried to light with no success.

So I think the regulator is bad or stuck closed. Maybe the knob isn't working? This pit has only an igniter and a knob to adjust the flame.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:16 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Maybe list the brand and model. There might be a step or something in the instructions that got overlooked.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM

It is this one. The instructions were very simple. Not sure there is anything to miss.

http://www.wayfair.com/AZ-Patio-Heat...T-PZA1140.html

Old 06-07-2016, 01:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I’m thinking there may be a safety switch (button) that has to be pressed and heldin” for the initial lighting of the fire pit. Most (old units in the past) gas furnaces and water heaters require them for a pilot light; if the gas flame goes out the gas line is automatically turned off to prevent an explosion of excess gas accumulation. You might check for something like the additional safety switch.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I just bought a LP tank fire pit table and it will not light. No propane is making it to the burner. I am looking for suggestions and hoping I do not have a defective regulator. Here are the details I can provide:

Propane tank is full and works in my grill.
All parts of the fire pit fit securely
I did a leak test with soapy water and I see no signs of leaks
The igniter does produce spark
I cannot light it if I use a match
There is no gas smell coming from anywhere near the pit
I have opened the tank while connected and let it sit several minutes, still didn't light
I have opened the tank and turned the burner on and waited up to a few minutes and smelled no gas. I shutoff, waited a minute and tried to light with no success.

So I think the regulator is bad or stuck closed. Maybe the knob isn't working? This pit has only an igniter and a knob to adjust the flame.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
You might try disconnecting the line “out” of the regulator and check to see if you smell propane coming “out” of the regulator. If there is odor then look for a blockage in the line between the regulator and the burner. You might be able to isolate the blockage depending on how the line is coupled to the knob and burner.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
See page 12:

AZ Patio Heaters FS-1010-T-12 Owner's Manual (Page 12 of 15)

Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 AM

^^^^ Thank You. I did hold in the control knob in but i admit I didn't time it. Interestingly that does not look like the instructions that came with my pit. Wonder if there was a mistake.
Also I was told to disconnect the tank and let it sit. That could allow pressure to release from the valve. I wont be able to try until tonight. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:26 PM

Please let us know if it works for you!

*crosses fingers and toes!*

Old 06-10-2016, 06:25 AM

Ok after trying everything again and holding the control knob in for two minutes to light there was still no flames. After getting frustrated I held the darn thing in for 5 full minutes and it finally lit. After the initial startup I only need to hold the control knob in for about 10 seconds to light it now.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Thank you! I love when people actually come back and let those of us know how things worked out.

YAY! You got it working! Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House