Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times

Advertisements

"I always liked walk in showers. Can't count the amount of times I slipped getting in and out of a bathtub shower."

A few years ago I had knee surgery - was non weightbearing for 8 weeks. Couldn't take a shower - we didn't have an accessible shower at the time. So I had to use our tub, which was difficult - had to be careful to not slip and bump my knee. With water involved, everything was very slippery...I strongly recommend at least one accessible shower, with grab rails, no matter how old you are. It isn't just the elderly who can have mobility challenges (I am NOT elderly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
I have a standard super deep 30" tub in my bathroom. It helps tremendously when my back and neck get kinked up. Aesthetically, I would prefer a tiled walk-in shower because it would look visually more open in my tiny bathroom, but I do love my nice deep tub. At my age though I will opt for the walk-in shower next time I remodel.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:14 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I wouldn't buy a home that didn't have a tub. I generally take showers but every once in a while I enjoy a nice long soak in a hot bath.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It's okay, Joe33!
I still love my tub. And many of my friends still do too.
That must be a pretty big tub!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Of all these comments, I like the idea best of having a hot tub outside and a large walk in shower in the house. Are hot tubs set up for ease of entry and exit for older folks?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We had a "garden tub" (corner) with whirlpool and jets. This year had the bathroom remodeled, tile changed and garden tub taken out. We did install a soaker tub, as we already have a large shower. Not sure of the trend for the huge showers when most of the time there is only one person in it.

My wife does use the soaker tub here and there as she enjoys a good soak once in awhile. Although we are seniors, when the grandkids stay over, they enjoy playing in the tub. So IMO for resale value to a family they might desire a tub. (The guest bathroom has a shower/tub combination).

PS We donated the garden tub to Habitat for Humanity and the guys said it sold quick.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
OP, actually, I would suggest you use the tub/shower as it is for a while, see how well you actually like it or not, get some ideas on what you want to change it to, if anything.

Frequently I have found features that I was not particularly crazy about when I first bought a house "grew" on me with time. Or I adapted enough that I didn't feel the need to invest time and work to change it.

Sad but true, one seldom gets more than just their money back, if that, when re-selling a house that has been remodeled. This is particularly true for highly customized remodels that suit just the particular owner who did it. Truth is most buyers have little imagination, and will pay more for a Plain Jane house that's just very clean, than one that has interesting (and costly) custom features.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I won't have a house without a tub, but not crazy about huge jetted tubs (except when I was pregnant with our youngest and we had one, it was great because I could get all of me covered with water, not possible in a "regular" tub). Right now we have a claw foot tub and my daughter and I have argued over who gets to take the tub if we ever sell the house (never mind that we'd have to dismantle the bathroom and part of the house to get it out).

My husband preferred showers, so we added the shower function to the clawfoot. That stopped working at one point (insanely hard water here), and he took a few baths and got hooked on them, more hooked than me, in fact.

We've talked about installing an outdoor shower, since we're out here in the country with real privacy. But the tub stays!

However, professionally I've had double sized showers with an extra high shower head sell a house, because the husband was a tall guy and wanted that - never had an ordinary jetted tub do that, though I have had tubs be a requirement for buyers.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Basically it is half and half, as far as preference of having a tub or not. Of course this is the master bath we are talking about.

I don't think NOT having a tub will be a deterrent for resell. As you can see, it is pretty split with those that don't care and those that say it would be a deal breaker. There Will be someone that has the same mindset as you.

With that said, if you don't have a tub, you probably should have a marvelous shower to offset the lack of a large tub. There should Always be a tub in one of the bathrooms. If there is no tub at all, that will be a turn off for families looking to buy.

Just my opinion on the observations I have made in the thread.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
You could take it out and have a large walk in shower in its place. You would need a contractor to get you a price range on cost. I have one and never used it but only have a small walk in shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House