U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,006,682 times

Advertisements

We spent good money having a 6' high cedar fence installed. After heavy rains and strong winds, about 5 of the posts holding up the fencing are leaning about 6" towards the front of the house. We can go to the front of the fence and push the posts straight up again but how do we support.

The posts were not cemented in the ground. We called the installer and he wants $500 to fix the posts but can't guarantee it won't happen again.

Can anyone tell us how we can go about supporting the posts upright.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM

24,839 posts, read 34,960,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
We spent good money having a 6' high cedar fence installed. After heavy rains and strong winds, about 5 of the posts holding up the fencing are leaning about 6" towards the front of the house. We can go to the front of the fence and push the posts straight up again but how do we support.

The posts were not cemented in the ground. We called the installer and he wants $500 to fix the posts but can't guarantee it won't happen again.

Can anyone tell us how we can go about supporting the posts upright.
That makes me sooooo mad when contractors will not back there work. Get some photos.
I would support it with boards propped against it for now. In the spring you can add dirt. If should have been cemented. I would take the contractor to small claims court. Of course, if his word and his work are the same that may not help.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,941,141 times
It doesn't sound like the posts were long enough to begin with or they weren't filled properly. You can dig out under the posts about 8" and fill with packed gravel/pea stone. Set the post back in the proper position and fill with more packed gravel/pea stone all the way up or a couple of inches of the packed stone and the rest of the way with concrete. Really though I would expect the contractor to fix the problem free of charge for a recent job. I'd consider doing as Driller1 said and going to small claims.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:11 PM

3,956 posts, read 5,146,055 times
wow!! id be pissed!! everyone knows you MUST cement fence posts!! I didnt even think not cementing them was an option.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,941,141 times
It's often a better idea not to cement the post so it drains better and prolongs the life of the post. If you do cement it's usually better to put the post in first, add pack, then cement so water can't pool at the bottom of the post and rot it.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM

27,750 posts, read 58,118,753 times
Default Shoddy Work... Contract License Complaint.

I assume he's already been paid?

If it is leaning now, it won't stand up to any significant wind.

If he is licensed and in my state he is required to be you can file a complaint with the Contractor's License Board, the Better Business Bureau and also you Insurance Company if they referred him to you.

Cement isn't essential... I've done many fence posts 30" deep and filled the hole with compacted crushed gravel in rocky solid... I've also used cement in place of gravel in dirt.

Sounds like neither was done...

Old 02-16-2008, 06:52 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,006,682 times
Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to talk to my husband about speaking to the owner of the fence company one more time and if not satisfied, we will contact the BBB and the Contractor's License Board.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 AM

24,839 posts, read 34,960,301 times
This is something that has worked for me. Get small claims forms and fill them out. Send him a copy. Just ask the question, "should I mail this or not"? "Your silence will be my answer in five days". Go ahead and contact the Contractor's Board. If he is not licensed, they should know. If he is, they still should know. Yes, I am saying do not give him a chance with the board.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,781,939 times
I think for future reference, to avoid court altogether, being very clear what the best practices are, stipulate in a contract, and a bit of discrete supervision during the job could spare you grief. Prevention is a better investment. Homework= forewarned is forearmed.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 AM

604 posts, read 4,450,874 times
I would add your own cement if the contractor won't

We used atleast 1 bag cement per pole, sometimes more, while building our fence. They instructions didn't require it but my husband likes to be sure (he'll use 10 screws when it calls for 6)

The cement we used comes in a heavy bag, but you just pour it in the hole and run the hose around it until its mushy and keep poking it with a stick to get the air out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House