Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:39 AM

15 posts, read 21,889 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment where there is only one window and my main door which is glass sliding door and thus the entrance to my apartment. Where i live is pretty hot. Most people have their doors open etc due to this. Almost everyone here has their fan turned on all the time... its those fans on the top of the ceiling etc. People here turn on AC as well if its hot. For me, i don't turn my ac on much because i don't feel very hot though but thats me.

Well i had notice that i had a cabinet where it has been breaking apart. Basically the back of it and the sides are tearing apart. I had not know the reason for this but someone tell me the reason is because i rarely have my windows opened. Can someone here confirm that if you don't have windows open, this could happen? I have lived in many different apartments and this never had happened every before. This is back in the US. I mean i understand hot weather makes things warmer etc but can it basically break things inside the house if no windows are opened for any air to get in for a long time? I do have the ceiling fan at high settings on almost all the time. This was months ago though.

I'm located in Mexico and in my previous apartments here in Mexico, i never had this issue at all. I usually have ceiling fan open and ac on a few times but not that much as i don't need it.

Another thing was recently i noticed the floor in my room is not only uneven... but its basically like a huge crack thats uneven in an area. This is on a specific area in the room. Like if you walk on that area, you notice thats like a crack. Thus the floor is not only uneven but you see a noticeably bump and theres a line like that in the room. I have never seen this before. In the picture i post, you can probably notice it i think... its on the 2nd line vertical around the area and extends upwards. Thus if you look at the right of it... no bump/crack at it. However few days ago we had to have some people do repair work on the AC and they did bring ladder and other things and had to stand on top of that exact area etc. Could this have possibly caused this bump/crack on the floor? My apartment is basically a 2 room open studio... though there is a door that separates the 2 rooms but its more like an open push door as oppose to a real door. And this crack is around the same spot where the guys put their ladder and other things on etc.

Would that most likely be the reason? Or could heat cause this? The thing is someone in my building told me the reason the cabinet basically was tearing apart was b/c its so hot and thus things tear down. I didn't know this as i never had this happen before. But it did make sense. Can someone confirm this is true? But what about my floor then? Its basically like tile floor and this happened few days ago right after the guys did work on that area though so i thought that had to be a coincidence. Because if heat could cause this, why would it take that long for it to happen. I can't imagine heat could have caused this right or could it? But i do have the fan turned on in that room and the other room. I will ask the person i rent from on this but i wanted to know your opinion.

1. How would i be able to fix the cabinet parts tearing apart? It does look like i could stick it back together though. Would getting super glue be able to fix this? What exact type of glue would i need? Also in the last picture... its from the side of it. Can you all see how its like worn out as well like imagine a wet piece of paper? Its like torn like a brown piece of construction paper etc.

2. How would this be fixed with the floor? I had wondered could it be possible that the people who live under me could have caused it? Such that their fan or they hit something in the ceiling really hard which is why my floor is like this? The thing is i noticed this bump/even a few days ago and this was again right after when a few guys had to come over and do something with my AC and they put ladder in that area to climb up to it etc. Could they have put ton of pressure on it etc? It really feels like if i put lot of pressure on that area, i felt like it could break though i think that is exaggerating it a bit.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2087.jpg   Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2088.jpg   Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2089.jpg   Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2090.jpg   Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2092.jpg  

Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2093.jpg   Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_1img_2094.jpg   Hot/Humid Weather Inside Apartment Cause Damage To Cabinet and Floor?-rsz_img_2095.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Turn on the A/C.

Put it on "Auto." Set it at a comfortable temperature for you (72 to 75) and LEAVE it. If you want to set it a few degrees higher when you leave for work, then do so. DON'T turn it all the way off or you will overtax the system by making it cool off the entire space again.

Yes, this certainly could affect your fixtures. The warped floor, not so much. But the cabinets? Yes. (You photos are too close up to really see what is going on.)

The A/C is there for a reason, especially if you have high humidity.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:53 AM

Hi. Yes AC will be turned on most of the time now. Yes the cabinet does make sense because if its very hot, i can imagine parts tearing though i never had this happen ever. In any apt i ever stayed at, i never had this happen. Then again most apts were not as humid as this one. Is it because of how my apartment looks etc? Basically theres actually 2 windows but i never open these windows. And of course theres my entrance which is a long glass door which i do open sometimes.

But for the floor, are you telling me its impossible for this to happen? Can someone else give their opinion on this? And what is the exact floor type i have? Its tile floor right? Because i will have to talk to the person and ask them about this because i don't think i could have caused the floor thing. The thing is if it suddenly happened... okay i understand. But this was right after we had some guys come over to do something on the AC and they had to bring a ladder to put on that area to climb to do something to the AC.

Do you have suggestion on how to fix the cabinet? Would superglue sort of work for this?

And for the floor, is there anything i can do to try to make it better before i ask them about it? Again, i can't imagine humidity causing a floor to sort of break if thats the word? And its in the exact area where the guys came over to put their ladders and stuff. However i dont know if it was that day or the next day or following day where i noticed, hey theres a huge bump/crack in this area where it feels like if you put lot of pressure on it, it can break.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:20 PM

And can someone tell me exactly what product i would need to buy to sort of glue the cabinet back together? Its basically torn apart like construction paper being torn from the wall. Like imagine you covering something with construction paper and it being torn and breaking apart. I guess thats the best example i can use...

And for the floor, is there anything i should try before i ask the landlord about this? I'm on the 2nd floor and thus there is someone that lives below my apt. I feel like if you put a ton of pressure on that specific area, the floor would just break in that spot.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 PM

Putting a ladder on the floor shouldn't warp it.

Go to the local hardware store and ask them for a glue for laminate cabinets.

The landlord needs to know about the floor, though. DO NOT try to fix it yourself.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Hi. Okay will ask for that. But with this glue, that is all that is needed right? Thus put glue on and just wait? Or you have to put tape of some sort? I read this was mentioned online but wouldn't glue be all that is needed? So this should be very simple then right? I never done this before.

About the floor. What do you think could have possibly caused this? The thing is when i first moved into the apartment, everything was fine. I would have to take a guess and more than 2 months later on... i had notice the cabinet breaking apart. I had no clue how this happened until someone here said well its b/c your apt is always so hot etc. Well to me it isn't hot, its okay but definitely humid.

The thing is the floor never had this issue ever. And i had notice this i believe the day after those guys came and did work on the AC etc. MY AC is pretty high attached to the wall... so you have to stand on top of something whether its a chair or ladder etc to do work on it. I didn't look at them when they were doing any of the work but i know there was a ladder they brought with them and other things. And the area where the floor has this problem... its exactly where they put ladder and their other things on. No where else is like this. What could it possibly be then? If its not the humidity... and its not the ladder or whatever things they brought with them, then suddenly how did this happen the day afterwards.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
It's obvious you have a plumbing leak. You need to call the apartment maintenance folks. This is NOT humidity damage.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:30 PM

Can you explain that? How did a plumbing leak happen? When you first go to the apartment, its the kitchen and area etc... then when you go into next room, thats where the bed is and other things like cabinets etc. Then its the bathroom. There isn't any wager that touches that area etc.

So did this suddenly happen? Could it be because of people who live below me? I had wondered could it been something with their ceiling fan or if they hit the wall upstairs etc. And how could this possibly happen like 1 or 2 day right after those guys came over to do repair work for my AC then? Is that a coincidence?

Old 06-13-2016, 03:41 PM

A kitchen has plumbing in it too.

Are those paper towels in the photos? Why do you have paper towels spread all over the counter?

Did the A/C unit drip any water down onto the cabinets/counters??

Old 06-13-2016, 03:47 PM

Yes those are paper towels. I have paper towels there because i put my folded clothes there. Thus i dont want my clothes to touch that cabinet etc.

No water ever dripped from the A/C unit. I don't even turn the AC on that much.

About the glue for the cabinet. Super glue would work or not? Its not the same as glue for laminating cabinet right? I googled and is this glue suppose to look like a tube? Or its actually like those bigger things? Never done any of this before. I'm in Mexico and certain exact items u cannot get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House