Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: One flooring material throughout a house, or is a well chosen mixture okay?
One continuous flooring choice everywhere? 8 16.33%
Multiple flooring surfaces okay, as long as installed well and high quality, and they blend well together. 28 57.14%
More than one okay, but not more than two. 9 18.37%
I don't care - as long as they are clean and in good shape! 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 PM

369 posts, read 1,635,173 times

Advertisements

I have several different types of flooring. Antique brick in the kitchen, family room, and sunroom; berber carpet in the back bedrooms; wood in the master bedroom, guest bedroom, living room, dining room, and two bathrooms; tile in the third bathroom and in the laundry room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Here's my take on the issue, which led to our flooring decisions last year. Some of thoughts might apply to your situaiton.

The bottom line for us was to balance looks with function. If function took precedence, the house could have ended up with an industrial look like the inside of a warehouse. If looks took precedence, we could end up with choices that would go to heck after a few years due to their inability to stand up to wear and tear.

What we have is a tuscan style home with a very open floorplan. For example, the kitchen is open to the great room and the nook is open to the kitchen.

I was concerned that running the same flooring throughout the entire area would blend things together too much. Flooring is something that can be used to define the function of spaces, especially in an open floorplan, so that became a consideration.

Flooring is also something that can direct traffic. That was another consideration that we put into play when deciding what we wanted and where it was to be placed.

Then, I abide by the rule that wood and water don't mix. I didn't want wood in any wet areas, such as a kitchen. Even if I could justify the great looks of wood in such an area, I know that the maintenance would be significantly increased and the chances that it would require premature replacement/repair would be assured. For example, haven't we all seen the results of a dishwasher overflow or a leaky sink drain? Even if the chances were slim that it would happen anywhere in the near future, I didn't want to take the chance that it would happen and require me to spend more money fixing the flooring choice.

In the end, what did I do? I decided to go with natural materials throughout the house. Nowhere was carpet or ceramic tile a consideration, so it all came down to natural stone and wood.

We ended up selecting a rustic-look travertine, not the formal wire cut version, and installing it in the kitchen and nook. It tied the common functions of those areas together.

Then, we continued it out from the kitchena little into an area that provided access out the rear door. It sort of created a wide area between the kitchen and the great room where people could gather without being concerned of dropping food or drinks onto a less durable surface. It also gave an area that would be unaffected by any snow/slush/dirt being tracked in from the back yard.

The great room was floored in a hand scraped wood. It matched up well with the multi-colored, earth-toned, travertine. However, there was enough of a color variation and texture difference that it helped define the space.

What this did was keep the entire area in natural materials and in colors that complemented each other, but kept the durable materials in the heavy traffic/potentially dirtier areas. The less durable wood was placed in a more intimate area that did not have a heavy traffic pattern.

The hallways and baths were also tiled in the same natural travertine. Again, they were the traffic areas that dictated a more durable flooring choice, or were located in the wet areas. They would be unaffected by any spilled water, toilet overflows, or broken pipes.

Finally the bedrooms were floored in the same hand-scraped wood found in the great room. It provided a continuity in the home, without introducing a third choice, and again provided a "warmer" and traditional look in the more intimate areas.

I think it worked out very well. For the past eight months, we haven't found any regrets.

Quote:
I am afraid of hardwood getting ruined in the kitchen - but all the home builders here are showing hardwood THROUGHOUT the first floors. So I am afraid if we tile certain areas (kitchen, etc..) and were forced to sell for some reason - we would be limiting the buyer pool due to our Non-continuous flooring choice.
BTW, you mentioned that the builders are showing hardwood throughout. I suggest that it's good to see the use of different materials in different ways, but just because they did it doesn't make it right for you. For example, can you remember some houses in the 80's being shown with wall-to-wall carpet throughout the bathrooms and surrounding the toilets?

Geeeze, IMO how could someone justify that? It's just a mold magent and I would hate to test the carept surrounding the toilet, especially if the male in the house likes to stand while they use the facility . . . just think of the late night splatter in the carpet. Yuck!!!

More recently, I walked through a model where not only the walls and ceiling were painted a muted green, but also all the floor trim, crown moulding, and window trim. There wasn't anything above the floor that wasn't the same green hue. I felt like I was inside of a pea.

So, just because a builder is showing something doesn't mean it's wise. It could just be the flavor of the day, a trendy thing to do for the moment, that will change later. It also doesn't mean it's right for you, or even wise at all, like the carpet around the toilet that was very common not that long ago. Such things can provide good ideas, but you need to decide if it's right for you.

Also, just think how many buyers would be turned off by worn or water damaged wood in the kitchen when you decided to sell. I have seen it first hand in different hosues throughout the years. The wood floors in the kitchen tend to wear out fastest in the work tirangle (sink, fridge, and stove), but especially in front of the sink. With all the time spent washing pots/pans/dishes, dripping greaseand soapwater on the floor, and generally preparing dinners in that area, the wood in front of the sink will show damage. You won't see that with a quailty hard surface.

ON EDIT: One final thought. We sold a house in SoCal last year. It had a mixture of hardwood and tile just like we've done in our current house. At no time whatsoever did anyone question its use or not buy the house because of it. At least it wasn't a reason given for not buying the home. Instead, it sold in less than 90 days in a slow market.

Of course it all depends on your area, but a mixture of tile and wood can be a benefit. It was for us.

Last edited by garth; 03-09-2008 at 12:51 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,388,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
We're building a house, but are having the builder put down super cheap vinyl in the "hard" areas because they take too much profit on hardwood. My husband and I are handy enough, we could install hardwood ourselves later, at a better cost.

My husband wants us to install hardwood pretty much on the whole first floor (foyer, dining/living/sun room/kitchen/study) - the only exception being the family room which we would carpet in a high quality carpet.

I think we should do the kitchen/breakfast/sunroom (sunroom is attached to kitchen/breakfast) in a nice tile - perhaps a 16" travertine, but go ahead and do wood in the other areas (foyer/study/living/dining) - leaving the family room carpeted.

We are in an upper middle class development, in a suburb, in the midwest.

Any suggestions?? I am afraid of hardwood getting ruined in the kitchen - but all the home builders here are showing hardwood THROUGHOUT the first floors. So I am afraid if we tile certain areas (kitchen, etc..) and were forced to sell for some reason - we would be limiting the buyer pool due to our Non-continuous flooring choice.

HELP!

(I don't know why, but I want to blame HGTV for this!!! LOL)
a mixture of carpet and hardwood is ok, one is a soft material, and one is a hard material. I have a hard time with doing tile and hardwood. They are both hard and will have an uneasy feel to them being in the same areas.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:24 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,657,685 times
Multiple types of flooring can work, if done right. If you have to ask, though, you're probably better off using one or two hard surfaces (hardwood, tile) and one type of carpet.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,813,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
We're building a house, but are having the builder put down super cheap vinyl in the "hard" areas because they take too much profit on hardwood. My husband and I are handy enough, we could install hardwood ourselves later, at a better cost.
Don't put the super cheap vinyl down if you can help it. After a couple years it'll either discolor or start to lift and chip/peel. I had it done in my office & it looks crappy. I'm going to have it replaced with tile soon hopefully.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,686,918 times
We have no hardwood and went with a beautiful rustic 12x12 tile in our entryway, powder bath, kitchen (& nook) and laundry room (in total, about 1,000 sq ft). All are on the first floor. Our house is VERY open and has virtually no true hallway. We had the tile installed on-point to carry the eye beyond the front door and it is visually striking. Everyone who has stepped foot in our home has asked where we got it and what kind of stone it is (because of it's rustic appearance). It was significantly cheaper than wood, but looks extremely expensive thanks to the fantastic builder's contractor who took time and great care to install it correctly and beautifully.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,819,818 times
I think you can mix if the transitions are done well. Our home is a mix of tile and wood. Tile in the kitchen, foyer, baths and wood in the rest. I personally don't like the idea of wood floors in bathrooms or kitchens. that being said I love the look of wood in the kitchen, but I don't think its practical for us. As far as slippage and chips mentioned above??? I think it depends on the tile you pick. Ours has a rougher surface and I've never even come closer to slipping on it. Also in the course of the last 2 years we have dropped - a full jar of jam, numerous forks, knives, etc. A few plates and the best one of all, a cast iron book end that I cringed as it fell thinking - there goes the floor, but not a chip or crack at all (although i think this one might have had more to do with luck), but anyways, everyones experiences are different and in our situation a wood floor would be looking pretty poor by now whereas our tile looks as good today as it did when we put it in 2 years ago. And yes it gets cold in the winter, but thats why they invented slippers. :-)

Last edited by Srib; 03-10-2008 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House