Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:48 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
To save you further aggravation you should just take a picture. Pictures speak louder than words

Agreed. Takes me a lot less time to take a pic rather than write up a full description. I do pix and detailed descriptions.

People ARE stupid though, I recently posted something with pix, measurements in the ad AND in the measurement section, plus the town was listed in the title.

The email I received was "can you tell me what town this is in and the measurements?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

I've had better luck with Freecycle.
I used Freecycle a lot after my divorce. I got rid of a ton of stuff AND picked up some great stuff as well. But then some of the people on the local lists were just weird:
- One lady would respond to EVERY ad I placed, no matter what the item. After saying she was the first response, she'd wait and then ask me when the buses ran to my area, then would come the sob story and asking if I could drop them off. I finally told her never to respond to my emails again and she said she had only responded once.

- One guy spent months emailing me for a date.

- Another guy refused to tell me when he was coming to pick up. Absolutely refused. I wanted to know so I could put the item out front for him. It was big and I didn't want it sitting in the front yard all day. Late in the day I walked out back and saw a bunch of stuff knocked over on my sidewalk and realized that big piece was missing. I emailed him, furious, and he told me he had knocked on the door and no one answered so he looked around for it. Thing is, I was home all day, my windows were open and I was sitting right above the aluminum storm door, so had he really knocked I would have heard it in stereo.

I reported all of these people to the admins but they were never removed or dealt with, so I stopped doing Freecycle. Some of my groups also moved away from the Yahoo lists and required separate signups, so that was a pain too.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 06-28-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I wouldn't knock it. It's better for the environment that a lot of these freebies end up repurposed rather than in a landfill.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Agreed. Takes me a lot less time to take a pic rather than write up a full description. I do pix and detailed descriptions.

People ARE stupid though, I recently posted something with pix, measurements in the ad AND in the measurement section, plus the town was listed in the title.

The email I received was "can you tell me what town this is in and the measurements?"

I used Freecycle a lot after my divorce. I got rid of a ton of stuff AND picked up some great stuff as well. But then some of the people on the local lists were just weird:
- One lady would respond to EVERY ad I placed, no matter what the item. After saying she was the first response, she'd wait and then ask me when the buses ran to my area, then would come the sob story and asking if I could drop them off. I finally told her never to respond to my emails again and she said she had only responded once.

- One guy spent months emailing me for a date.

- Another guy refused to tell me when he was coming to pick up. Absolutely refused. I wanted to know so I could put the item out front for him. It was big and I didn't want it sitting in the front yard all day. Late in the day I walked out back and saw a bunch of stuff knocked over on my sidewalk and realized that big piece was missing. I emailed him, furious, and he told me he had knocked on the door and no one answered so he looked around for it. Thing is, I was home all day, my windows were open and I was sitting right above the aluminum storm door, so had he really knocked I would have heard it in stereo.

I reported all of these people to the admins but they were never removed or dealt with, so I stopped doing Freecycle. Some of my groups also moved away from the Yahoo lists and required separate signups, so that was a pain too.

I used to get them too! I'd put in the ad that I'm on Staten Island and after we made arrangements to have them pick the item up, they'd ask me 'where in Brooklyn is that?". I'm not in freakin' Brooklyn. It's in the ad for goodness sake. I think it was the same lady every time.

Then I had another person go right in my open garage and remove whatever it was I had posted. I was so angry at that. She didn't even bother to ring my doorbell.. she just walked in the garage and took it. I have no idea if she took anything else either.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I've never bought or picked up anything from CL. But I would guess people want pictures, because they want to decide if they should use their time - and yours - (and gas) to pick up the item.
Exactly. I live in Houston and free or not, it takes residents at least 45 minutes to drive anywhere to pick up anything. Any time I've posted anything on CL I've included a pic, even if I'm giving it away. It takes a whole minute of my time at the most.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:36 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I used to get them too! I'd put in the ad that I'm on Staten Island and after we made arrangements to have them pick the item up, they'd ask me 'where in Brooklyn is that?". I'm not in freakin' Brooklyn. It's in the ad for goodness sake. I think it was the same lady every time.

Then I had another person go right in my open garage and remove whatever it was I had posted. I was so angry at that. She didn't even bother to ring my doorbell.. she just walked in the garage and took it. I have no idea if she took anything else either.
That's why I really don't ever give my address out. Only if I'm selling large item that I can't fit in car. And even then I have to decide if the hassle is worth it or just donate it.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
You don't even want to use Craigslist for anything in Birmingham, Alabama.

The autos for sale section will be racist.
The furniture for sale section will have death threats against the previous poster.
The free section will have refrigerators for sale, not free.

Rants and Raves? AVOID at all costs. Even your computer or device will try to sway you from it.

Personals? Do you really have to ask?

In Alabama, I am convinced we will break the internet.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I have gotten stuff from the Free section as well as given stuff away. I have had really good experiences as well as a few inconsiderate people who claimed something but never showed up.

Usually people are very considerate and friendly. Some are nice enough to send me an email to say thanks after getting the freebie. Over the years, I have also gotten good stuff - an inkjet printer that lasted a few years, a roll of pink insulation, a rolling wire shelf, dish-drying drain, sunshade for car, color photos (I have 1 hanging in my office), moving boxes and paper.

I try to keep the karma going by giving away free stuff as well - example: light bulbs, new unopened toothpaste, the printer above after I upgraded, Boxtops, I had some event pins that someone really liked, etc. Also, I don't point the map at exactly my address. I only give it out to the 1 person who confirms and leave the item outside just before the agreed time. This is to avoid others pillaging thru the stuff.

Last edited by mmyk72; 06-28-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I am amazed at the inability of CL free stuff people to read. I mention, "No pics, since it's free. Please reply by email, don't ask me to phone or text you." I'll get several people who think I should send them a pic. I'll get several more who will send me phone numbers and ask me to call or text.

I learned the hard way not to use their map feature. I came outside and there was some odd lady jonesing around in front of my house, hadn't responded to the ad, just saw the address and showed up.
Thats craigslist and people who respond to advertisements in general. Especially younger folk who have no Idea on how to actually use the telephone that is attached to their all purpose texting machine.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:13 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Speaking of non-readers, I got an email when I was giving away the mobile home that read "How much is the free mobile home?"

I wrote back that the free mobile home was free.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:19 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
I've seen some pretty comical freebies on Craigslist.

Old sofas with springs clearly visible, television sets with a dial on them, saggy and STAINED mattresses, computers from 1993, etc... so yes...I do think that people use Craigslist as a way to avoid an expensive trip to the dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House