Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

Now I definitely have to view Birmingham Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 AM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Old tires, dirt, broken stained furniture....they just want it hauled away....

Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
90% of the stuff is junk that they can't even give away.

But the interesting posts are the FREE stuff where you have to dig up (fence, basketball hoop, bushes, trees, landscaping, 30 year old shed)

Basically free junk removal.

But if you have any decent post it in the free section and you'll get 30 emails/texts in 10 minutes.
Bed Bug infested mattresses and furniture are the most common items offered for FREE in my area. I have taken advantage of this. I built a small insulated frame structure in my back yard and I can put two King Size Mattresses and Box Springs in it. I have a Thermostatically controlled heater that regulates the temperature o 145 Degrees F. I pull them after 24 hours and sanitize them and resell them. When I can hire an able bodied helper I will increase my capacity. I have one customer so far, a property management company, and He has given me more business than I can currently handle.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
i had to give away a couch around March, it was a sleeper sofa in great shape. I had a picture of it and everything. Seems there are a lot of professional moochers who are beggars and choosers who want you to hold it for them. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was in storage and it was the only thing too big and heavy to move by myself. It took a while and after a lot of responses I finally gave it to a family with young kids late in the day.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:47 AM

I never held anything for anyone except the people who agreed on a time to come get it, and they were the only ones who received the address. If they were half an hour late, I contacted the next person in line.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Now I definitely have to view Birmingham Craigslist.
Don't say I didn't warn you!!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Don't say I didn't warn you!!

You have my solemn word.

I checked out autos for sale by owner. Didn't see anything too radical, except people wanting to sell stuff that has been in accidents. Then I went to R&R, which where I live (Oregon) has plenty of haterade and bigotry. The strongest stuff was about religious people.

Am I doing it wrong, or just haven't followed it long enough to see the trends?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
90% of the stuff is junk that they can't even give away.

But the interesting posts are the FREE stuff where you have to dig up (fence, basketball hoop, bushes, trees, landscaping, 30 year old shed)

Basically free junk removal.

But if you have any decent post it in the free section and you'll get 30 emails/texts in 10 minutes.
Know a couple of people who have a truck, they scan the ads HOURLY and drive to the places which give away good stuff, then sell it later (After cleaning it up) and make some good money...Tax free

Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
You have my solemn word.

I checked out autos for sale by owner. Didn't see anything too radical, except people wanting to sell stuff that has been in accidents. Then I went to R&R, which where I live (Oregon) has plenty of haterade and bigotry. The strongest stuff was about religious people.

Am I doing it wrong, or just haven't followed it long enough to see the trends?
I was nosy and checked Birminghams CL too. I didn't find anything either. I did see an ad where the poster describes himself as a black male looking for a SWF room mate and he wanted photos with all applications ..
but that ad would have been weird even if he hadn't mentioned his color. He also goes on to say that he's not looking for sex. Have times changed that much that they have to add that to room mate wanted ads?

Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I LOVE the CL free section. I've never picked anything up but I've used it to get rid of things lots of times. Many times I have things worth a little bit of money (maybe $20, maybe $40) but would be too big a hassle to sell. One time I gave away hundreds of dollars worth of stone from a landscaping project that would have taken me days of backbreaking labor to move. Another time I gave away scrap metal that I didn't have the time to drive to the metal yard. Old furniture, appliances that still work but are old, etc. People need them and I don't, so I'm always happy to have someone do the hard work in exchange for getting the thing for free.

Side note- also love the "gigs" section. When I have small odd jobs, I post them and get lots of responses. Last week my kids got a toy stuck in a really high gutter, so I posted an ad "$50 to get toy down from gutter". Home depot wanted $40 for the ladder rental, so an extra $10 to save me all that time was totally worth it. Guy came the next day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House