Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:55 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times

Advertisements

On hot days, mowing until 8pm is understandable as I do that myself. Neighbors who confronts for this reason are out of line. I am concerned though with the prior 8 am morning mowing. I say let the babies/toddlers sleep some more by not waking them up. You have the entire weekend to mow the lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I see that the OP is quite old... But that neighbor is/was unhinged, to complain at 6 PM... No one wants to mow in the heat of the day, and lot of people are at work then.

Personally, I don't find the sound of lawn equipment unpleasant... It's part of life.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Id say I won't start mowing until 8AM on a weekday, or 9AM on a weekend. And i'd probably be hesitant to start the mower after 6PM during the summer.

But, I will take the sounds of people firing up lawnmowers and weedwhackers in the summer, vs police cars, and booming stereos and loud car exhausts any day.
Most people don't even get home from work before 6PM.

My grass usually has dew on it until 11AM. My backyard is mostly shady and the grass is usually still wet from dew until around 12:30PM. Wet grass leaves clumps and can also be dangerous when mowing on hills.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I don't think that mowing at 6PM is unreasonable, especially living in an area where it gets HOT.

When I lived in Tennessee, we were in an area that did not have an HOA and after checking with my neighbors I mowed at 8PM. I can't take the sun/heat, lol.

During the week there are a lot of people who are just winding down from work at 6PM. I don't know who these people are who are getting ready to go to bed at 6 but at that time, I'm usually JUST getting home or on my way home.

Personally I would think it more of an issue mowing early in the morning on weekends.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I think you're awesome for mowing your lawn later. As someone who is never awake before noon and often not before 1 p.m., it drives me crazy when yard work is done early. We have installed thick, high quality soundproof double-pane windows to every bedroom window upstairs so there are two windows, interior and exterior, and that helps quite a lot with any outside noise but it doesn't completely stop it (the windows are probably now a stronger point than the actual walls, I'm guessing). Luckily our front yards are all managed by the HOA -- so I disagree, HOAs are fantastic -- so you're not even allowed to touch them if you're a homeowner. They are only to be touched by the management company / lawn services company, which is just as it should be. Nobody has time for that crap in 2018. And nobody really has a backyard, either, it's mostly just dirt and they're very tiny, we have a hot tub in ours, so there's only one day of yard work per week here thankfully.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I've had neighbors complain to my wife (no one wants to say anything to my face I guess) about my mowing until 8 PM. My comment? "It must be nice having all day to take care of these things, but I work for a living." Which is a bit unfair, they're hard working people (or were) and are retired. But it boiled my blood a bit. And they're nice people, too.

No one had lived in my house for a few years, so people got accustomed to nothingness. They've also made comments about my power tool usage (also almost always wrapped up by 9:00 PM) but they've told me that they bought a house on a reasonably large lot outside of town without an HOA for the same reason I did. So it is what it is.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I think you're awesome for mowing your lawn later. As someone who is never awake before noon and often not before 1 p.m., it drives me crazy when yard work is done early. We have installed thick, high quality soundproof double-pane windows to every bedroom window upstairs so there are two windows, interior and exterior, and that helps quite a lot with any outside noise but it doesn't completely stop it (the windows are probably now a stronger point than the actual walls, I'm guessing). Luckily our front yards are all managed by the HOA -- so I disagree, HOAs are fantastic -- so you're not even allowed to touch them if you're a homeowner. They are only to be touched by the management company / lawn services company, which is just as it should be. Nobody has time for that crap in 2018. And nobody really has a backyard, either, it's mostly just dirt and they're very tiny, we have a hot tub in ours, so there's only one day of yard work per week here thankfully.
OP said he mows at before 8 am also.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Said tongue-in-cheek.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Maybe the biggest bonus of moving to Vegas that I never even considered is nobody has a lawn to mow so this is a total non-issue. Mowing early in the morning every day would be enough to make me sell and move lol.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
In my neighborhood, if I wanted to mow at 8 AM, I wouldn't be bothering a soul. One next door neighbor is a retired couple in their 80s who are up at the crack of dawn. My other next door neighbors are high school band instructors with a 5 year old child. Just because school it out doesn't mean the band instructors don't have to go to the school. Plus they say that 5 year old wouldn't know how to sleep late if her life depended on it. My back door neighbors both work and leave by 7 AM. So I could mow at 8 AM. Do I? Nope! I don't cook our breakfast till 9 or later.
Right now the heat index around here has been over 100 degrees during the day, late into the afternoon. In fact, the index was 95 at 6 PM. I was mowing at 7 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House