Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,687 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved into a 1300 sq ft single story house with no garage or basement, a crawl space that's about 24" tall, and no closets that are big enough for a water heater, so there is a standard electric water heater in the attic. It's about 13 years old, so I'm very nervous about it leaking or bursting and causing major damage to our home. We haven't had any leaks or problems yet, but I know it's inevitable. I've thought about replacing it with an electric tankless WH, but after further research, it seems that I'll need more than one to meet our flow rate needs, plus an upgraded breaker box to meet the amperage needs (ours is currently 200amps). Also we don't have a gas supply to the house, so I don't have the option for a gas tankless, either. So my question is are there any solutions to my situation? I would like for it to not be in the attic, but I don't know anywhere else it could be moved to, and unless I'm completely misunderstanding the requirements for electric tankless WHs, I would have to potentially spend thousands of dollars on the units and breaker upgrades, which I cannot do. If it has to stay in the attic, are there any kind of automatic shut off valves I could have installed or anything else that would prevent catastrophic damage in the event of a burst? Also should I just go ahead and purchase a new water heater since this one is so old? Do I have any options that would give me some peace of mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:48 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destijl03 View Post
My wife and I just moved into a 1300 sq ft single story house with no garage or basement, a crawl space that's about 24" tall, and no closets that are big enough for a water heater, so there is a standard electric water heater in the attic. It's about 13 years old, so I'm very nervous about it leaking or bursting and causing major damage to our home. So my question is are there any solutions to my situation? If it has to stay in the attic, are there any kind of automatic shut off valves I could have installed or anything else that would prevent catastrophic damage in the event of a burst? Also should I just go ahead and purchase a new water heater since this one is so old? Do I have any options that would give me some peace of mind?
Major leaks or failures can possibly happen at any time especially in an older heater. One of ours developed a leak and had to be replaced. But we had months of notice as the bottom was showing a progression of rust.
We have friends who lived in a two story condo and he was very handy with thinking of technical ways of doing things. He rigged up a chain over the supports in the roof and used the threaded nipples make a way to raise the new water heater into the attic. There were 3 of us watching and being nearby as the chain was pulled until it was safely in the attic. It was a simple chain pulley setup and unique idea that worked the way he designed it to work.

Here is a similar idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfZToI377U

Last edited by howard555; 06-30-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-30-2016, 05:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,565 times
You could always build a little W/H structure outside that ties into the water system. No flue to monkey with just typical clearance issues and some insulation.

If it stays in the attic, put a pan underneath the W/H and put a wet switch alarm in the pan. The switch not only has an audible alarm but contacts you can use to close a solenoid valve on the water inlet as well as disable the power supply with a contactor in the event of a leak. The TP valve should terminate in a conspicuous location outside the attic.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
I can assure you I have a great disdain for this "stupid" design- "all for the sake of more usable sq/ft"- I call BS on that!

However, the most common cause of leaks due to W/H's in the attic is NOT the W/H! It's usually the cold water supply line- due to sustained freezing conditions. W/H's as a general rule don't just "burst open and flood". They tend to start with a small leak and grow. The warning "sign" is age- so, at 13yoa it's getting toward the end of its lifespan.

For additional safety you can have auto valves installed- they act as a flow valve. When it senses too much water being discharged it shuts itself down. And they can activate an electric shut-off also; as previously mentioned.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with wrapping all exposed pipes with heavy duty pipe insulation also- mitigate as much as possible now, it may just be the "insurance" you need.

And speaking of insurance- you may want to check your H/O policy about this particular setup.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:15 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Does your house have a separate laundry room? I have only a 1120 sq. ft. house with a 7 by 9 ft. laundry room with my gas water heater in it as well. Personally, if I didn't have any other in-house option, I would consider installing the water heater in a corner of the kitchen, but that would be a "last resort" solution.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
My wife and I just moved into a 1300 sq ft single story house with no garage or basement, a crawl space that's about 24" tall, and no closets that are big enough for a water heater, so there is a standard electric water heater in the attic. It's about 13 years old, so I'm very nervous about it leaking or bursting and causing major damage to our home. We haven't had any leaks or problems yet, but I know it's inevitable. I've thought about replacing it with an electric tankless WH, but after further research, it seems that I'll need more than one to meet our flow rate needs, plus an upgraded breaker box to meet the amperage needs (ours is currently 200amps). Also we don't have a gas supply to the house, so I don't have the option for a gas tankless, either. So my question is are there any solutions to my situation? I would like for it to not be in the attic, but I don't know anywhere else it could be moved to, and unless I'm completely misunderstanding the requirements for electric tankless WHs, I would have to potentially spend thousands of dollars on the units and breaker upgrades, which I cannot do. If it has to stay in the attic, are there any kind of automatic shut off valves I could have installed or anything else that would prevent catastrophic damage in the event of a burst? Also should I just go ahead and purchase a new water heater since this one is so old? Do I have any options that would give me some peace of mind?
Peace of mind? Just don't worry so much. There is a good chance your concern is unwarranted. Our oil fired water heater is about 50 years old! (Though we are replacing it now..).

My advice? Call a pro to check it, but don't replace anything yet (except in case of emergency). In the meantime, save for a new boiler. When you can afford it, replace it. In the same place. Your home appears to be built with only limited space, so until you can move to a larger home, you have to live with it.
And, as others suggested, take care of your insurance.
Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
We have a tankless water heater and our water is very cold. The one we have has always provided us with hot water, even when multiple appliances are in use. Just get one big enough.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We have a tankless water heater and our water is very cold. The one we have has always provided us with hot water, even when multiple appliances are in use. Just get one big enough.
In Alaska tankless would not be good, in Florida where the ground is warm most of the year it's fine since event he cold water is not cold most of the year.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Just get a new one and keep it where it is, just inspect it to make sure it's on a sturdy surface. You already have the electric connections there. If you have a room to build a small closet you can put it in your bathroom if there is space or in a kitchen corner but it seems like a major plumbing and electrical job to move the location.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
Have you thought of using marine hot water heaters?

They would fit in your crawl space and run on 120V AC

https://www.defender.com/waterheater...20-%2019%20Gal

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House