Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 PM

618 posts, read 938,915 times

Advertisements

We live in a safe area and are expecting a baby. Is it worth getting a home system? I know they are pricey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:56 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I would not pay the monthly price for a security system to a cable provider. There are many different types of options to improve security of your home or apartment and several things to consider what would work best for you. Are you in a home or apartment, do you rent or own, what do you think you're willing to pay for a system you own but don't rent?

Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 PM

618 posts, read 938,915 times
Cheaper the better but practicality and good security is important. We own our home

Old 07-01-2016, 02:09 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,314 times
First time parents? If so please just get a decent baby monitor with camera/video capability. If your sits on wasting funds on a security camera, consider purchasing (you don't need to be handy for this) a PoE ip security camera.

Congrats in advance.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Cheaper the better but practicality and good security is important. We own our home
Rent it for $20+ a month or own it: prices from $300 to $1k plus.

There are a number of different security providers who can monitor your home security alarm and you pay a monthly fee for doing that. They will call the homeowner or the police depending on how you set the service up. Some of the types of security systems provide intrusion detection devices only, others have cameras that can be monitored and controlled by the homeowner. Everything is a price so you get what you pay for and sometimes that can be more than you’d like.

There are security systems without using a service provider as well. You buy what you want and need at the price to fit your budget. These systems can notify you directly by calling your cell phone and alerting you when you’re away from the house. They usually come with a DVR to record all video activity and can be viewed later by the authorities or you to see just “who” was at the home when things happened. Cameras can be set to monitor locations that work for you. Prices will range from as low as three or four hundred to a thousand plus if you want higher quality video cameras and more features.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Several years ago I was able to buy a video security system from Costco with a DVR that did everything I needed for under $500 and I installed the wiring & 4 cameras. I added 4 extra cameras for more coverage of areas around the house outside. I don’t care about cameras on the inside if the outside cameras are setup to view all entry points into the house. The extra cameras ran and $150 or $200 and came with wiring.

My neighbor had an intrusion alarm only system that was installed a year before I bought and installed the camera security system. He had a break-in; I was able to hear the breaking of the glass window and checked to see what was happening at their house. Looking over the fence I noticed the window of the door was damaged and the door opened. I came back into my house and called the police. Within five minutes the police arrived. Ten minutes later after I called my neighbor’s cell phone to check with him as he was away from home. About 15 minutes later he received a call from their alarm center who asked if they should call the police. Just a little late for that…. The bad guys had already left the house in less than five minutes. My neighbor’s security system told him nothing other than what time the break-in occurred. However my security cameras did get an image of the two guys and what direction they left. The value of cameras are a plus for crime.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 PM

270 posts, read 406,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
We live in a safe area and are expecting a baby. Is it worth getting a home system? I know they are pricey
I think the answer depends on the crime environment in your locale. Are you in a small city of 30,000 people somewhere in the midwest, or a dense urban core? Is burglary common?

I live in an affluent neighborhood in the densest part of Houston but it is unguarded and ungated. Burglaries are not uncommon, probably a couple a year. They usually happen during the day when people are at work and the burglars are in and out in minutes. I was hit 4 years ago and after that I bought an alarm system and I also installed a set of inexpensive ip cameras I can view over the phone. I still wonder if it's worth it, given that I spent $1500 on the system, it costs $500 annually for the monitoring, and burglars will still hit homes with alarm systems (around here the police will usually take more than 10 minutes to get to an alarm since they tend to be false). In contrast, my insurance deductible for the claim when I was burglarized was about $1000. From a strictly financial point of view - probably not worth it. I do get some peace of mind however and at least I'll know immediately if someone broke in.

If I still lived in a small city like I used to - wouldn't spend the money. Burglaries were rare enough that the low risk is adequately covered by insurance.

I'll also add that burglars around here tend to not enter homes when the homeowner is around (evenings and nights). Many people in Texas are armed, the bar for using deadly force against an intruder is very low, and therefore there is a significant chance of eventually being shot and killed by a homeowner if you decide to be an evening/night burglar. It may be more common in other areas of the country. Then the alarm also serves to alert you of someone in the home, which is another consideration.

Finally, since you have kids on the way - children's toys outside are a deterrent where I live. Might mean there is a stay at home parent or nanny nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House