Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 01:15 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,552,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Interestingly, in our current 27 year old house, I don't encounter nail/screw pop issues. In our former new construction 10 year old house, nail/screw pops were a frequent issue that was annoying.

Statements like this neither prove or dispel anything. Are you even comparing "apples-to-apples"? Or, does that statement reaffirm your belief that "older homes are built better"?

I believe you'll find overwhelming evidence that a "well maintained" home will last longer than a home that is not; regardless of the construction quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 01:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,574,235 times
Let's get back to the topic at hand, please. So is it worth a test of adding more screws, like 4 after taking out 1 nail to see if this helps?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Let's get back to the topic at hand, please. So is it worth a test of adding more screws, like 4 after taking out 1 nail to see if this helps?

No!
Unless you want to do the WHOLE CEILING; otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,574,235 times
The WHOLE ceiling or just the WHOLE drywall board that is having the issue? I can hire a drywall co for this if this happens to be a long term fix

Old 07-01-2016, 03:35 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,466,994 times
I don't know where I read/heard this. If the nails/screws used are too long, as the wood in a newly built home shrinks, it pushed the nail up. The longer the nail the more the effect.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,216,966 times
I buy a lot of homes that have this problem. Just take the day and put screws in every 6 inches. Solves the problem.
The drywall guys will do it for you or you can do it yourself. You will need to have a screw gun and preferably a battery powered drywall screw gun that takes strips of screws. Screw in every 6 inches. If you miss remove the screw with the other screw gun.
Then if it is a sprayed ceiling have it sprayed.
Its a day job for a average house.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I don't know where I read/heard this. If the nails/screws used are too long, as the wood in a newly built home shrinks, it pushed the nail up. The longer the nail the more the effect.

Here's a visual explanation-
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Nail or Screw Pops-round 2-image.jpeg  

Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,677,003 times
There are numerous reasons for nail pops.

1: Type of soil. Some areas have expansive soil which causes some shifting through the home as it twists and turns due to movement of soil which will cause nail pops.

2: Improperly compacted soil, before home was built, can cause the same problem as #1.

3: High winds that cause twisting of the framework of the home, that causes nail popping.

4: Earth quakes.

5: Home does not have sufficiently supported roofs. This often happens with open plans so popular today.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:34 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,340,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Statements like this neither prove or dispel anything. Are you even comparing "apples-to-apples"? Or, does that statement reaffirm your belief that "older homes are built better"?

I believe you'll find overwhelming evidence that a "well maintained" home will last longer than a home that is not; regardless of the construction quality.
Don't go off the deep end as usual. It's a statement. Nothing more. Read as you want. Reading this topic brought back memories of an issue that I had before that I don't have now. It's just an observation. My newer house was superior in some aspects as well so it'd be nice for you not to start stuff when it's not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Well you can blame my friend upthread for taking my one post and "derailing" your topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House