Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
the companies should be REQUIRED BY LAW to make them that way or else be made to no longer make them at all, I'm totally serious.
So you want Congress do what you didn't do. Don't buy it. You are not the first one who has difficulty starting these things. I am sure there were posts like yours on the internet before you bought the chain saw but you didn't read them, believe them or that $99 price tag was just too enticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I get it. I don't buy those weedeaters with those little engines either. I have had too much trouble with them also. I ended up buying a Black/Decker battery weedeater. Love it...

Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I'm happy with my Husqvarna. Starts usually first or second pull without issue, runs awesome, couldn't ask for anything more in a saw I use for cutting up firewood.

$99 chainsaw? Eh, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 AM

33 posts, read 31,584 times
LOL they can make it better but you probably wouldn't pay for it!

Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
.......How about this--a chainsaw with an OFF/ON switch, bubble pump thingie, pull the crank, and it just cranks NO MATTER WHAT............
How about designing chainsaws to be that easy, no excuses?........
Yes, tools that the most incompetent can all use. After all, that's how the school system works. A school program where the laziest, slowest, most resistant, class skipping student can excel at the same work as the quick witted students. Of course, you don't get the lazy ones to work at the potential level of the quick ones. No, you slow everyone down to the level of those who won't work. Everybody gets dumbed down and students all graduate ignorant, unable to do math, unable to write, unable to figure out a problem.

People all over the world use chainsaws and their chainsaws works. You can't make a chainsaw work, OP, but that is no reason to take the chainsaws away from the people who aren't having a problem with them. Just admit that you can't use a chainsaw and figure something else out. Maybe you will have to pay someone who can use a chain saw.

Me, I can't use a chainsaw. I can't start one and I'd probably cut my own head off becasue I can't hold a chainsaw when it bucks. My solution to that is not to ban chainsaws, it is to have someone else do the chainsaw work.

I have a tiny little electric chainsaw from off of a pole saw that I use for small jobs. I also use a pruning saw blade on an electric sawzall. If the job is bigger than that, I hand it off to someone else. I know my limitations.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:11 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
I am very experienced with small machinery. The OP is 100% correct to complain.

Going thru the whole rigamarole and none of my STIHLS (got 3) starts when really needed can drive a grown man to bitter tears.
Darned right about that. I'm blameless here as far as I'm concerned, I DON'T CARE how many other people get theirs to start, all that they do for it to do so, THAT'S TOO MUCH WORK. They shouldn't have to do all that. Starting anything that commonly used by normal people should be EASY. Period, no excuses. It's electric for me all the way from now on.

As for paying someone to do it, I'd be glad to the day they stop charging so much. $300 just to spend 5 minutes falling a tree, are you nuts? It took me 5 minutes (the saw cranked that day like it had some sense). Done. No way that merits $300, yet people gladly pay it. Fools.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Darned right about that. I'm blameless here as far as I'm concerned, I DON'T CARE how many other people get theirs to start, all that they do for it to do so, THAT'S TOO MUCH WORK. They shouldn't have to do all that. Starting anything that commonly used by normal people should be EASY. Period, no excuses. It's electric for me all the way from now on.

As for paying someone to do it, I'd be glad to the day they stop charging so much. $300 just to spend 5 minutes falling a tree, are you nuts? It took me 5 minutes (the saw cranked that day like it had some sense). Done. No way that merits $300, yet people gladly pay it. Fools.

Boy o boy...... quick to pass blame to everyone else here.

It's simple. Operating machinery of any sort is work. Don't like to work? Then don't do it. It IS easy for those of us who know how to operate it.

$300 to spend "5 minutes falling a tree" is a deal. It isn't just cutting a tree. There's a lot you have to know to safely cut down a tree.

1. Slope of the yard
2. What is nearby that the tree could impact
3. Condition of the tree (rotten trees can be even more dangerous)
4. Cutting the proper hinge so that the tree falls in the direction you need it to go
5. Knowing when to insert the wedge so as not to pinch the guide bar on the saw
6. Limbing the tree
7. Cutting the tree up into manageable sizes for removal

Those are just some of the things a professional must contend with. Add to that... if the tree is too long to drop safely, they may have to climb the tree and top it down to a safe height to drop.

Seriously, if this is above your skill level there is nothing wrong with that. But don't blame the saw. The saw can do the job if the operator knows how to use it. And just because you managed to bring one down and didn't get killed doesn't mean you know what you're doing. Fools luck if anything. You can be severely injured or killed in a split second if you don't follow proper procedure.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Boy o boy...... quick to pass blame to everyone else here.

It's simple. Operating machinery of any sort is work. Don't like to work? Then don't do it. It IS easy for those of us who know how to operate it.
I'm not blaming anyone here, other than to me that so many people collectively tolerate this nonsense is why the manufacturers have no motivation to do better than what they're doing. Having to do all of that every single time you want to start a chainsaw is ridiculous and just too much work, especially given how tricky it is. Even if people are foolish enough to go along with all of that, there's no sense to it. A person shouldn't have to do all of that for something to start.

Some of us aren't 24/7 home improvement workers. For those who are, and are fascinated by tools and embrace all that goes with it, knock yourself out. However, there is still a place for people who aren't into all of that but do need to do some routine touch-ups around the house every now and then, and they have tools for such people that don't require so much massaging. That's why I have a corded drill instead of a cordless one, because I don't want to have to fuss with charging batteries when I just need to drill 9 holes and then use it as a power screwdriver to hang up the door and after doing that I may not use that drill again for another year. I want to pull it out of the storage bin and go right to work without having to go through such a "process" every time I do so. They should strive to make chainsaws like that, ones that "just work' when you need them to so you can get back to your LIFE already. (Apparently they do, in the form of electric chainsaws, which makes it so surprising that more people don't buy them unless it's because they're not near any outlets, I don't have that as an issue.)

If I were a hare-core logger looking to have the equipment to clear out an entire woods, then OK. For simply cutting down one tree and then trimming off a few stray limbs, that is something which should be EASY. Doing that sort of work periodically is a very small part of my life, I don't wish for it to BECOME my life. I've got better things to do with my time, AND my money (in terms of paying someone a freaking $300 or more just to cut the tree down).

To wit:

Quote:
$300 to spend "5 minutes falling a tree" is a deal. It isn't just cutting a tree. There's a lot you have to know to safely cut down a tree.

1. Slope of the yard
2. What is nearby that the tree could impact
3. Condition of the tree (rotten trees can be even more dangerous)
4. Cutting the proper hinge so that the tree falls in the direction you need it to go
5. Knowing when to insert the wedge so as not to pinch the guide bar on the saw
6. Limbing the tree
7. Cutting the tree up into manageable sizes for removal
If I were asking for all of that, then I'd completely agree with you 100 per cent. I was just asking for it to be sawed down and absolutely nothing else. If something goes awry, fine, it goes awry, but JUST CUT IT and don't muddle up things with insurance and lawsuit concerns. I'm sure there are situations where you do have to do all of that to prevent problems, but this was not one of those. I just wanted it cut down period, that's all.

I did it myself in 5 minutes, and even if you figure the $75 I spent on the saw was wasted since I busted it, it still was cheaper and it was DONE. That's me--I like things done, easily and without having to mortgage your kidneys or waste away an entire weekend which could've been spent on the lake to do it. Complexity is for building the space shuttle and figuring out how to split items in a science lab or for people who do this all the time as part of their life. I have no such interest, I just want the simple things done without having to take out a new mortgage every other minute and surrender the whole weekend I could've been ENJOYING.

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-12-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
I'm not blaming anyone here, other than to me that so many people collectively tolerate this nonsense is why the manufacturers have no motivation to do better than what they're doing. Having to do all of that every single time you want to start a chainsaw is ridiculous and just too much work, especially given how tricky it is. Even if people are foolish enough to go along with all of that, there's no sense to it. A person shouldn't have to do all of that for something to start.

Some of us aren't 24/7 home improvement workers. For those who are, and are fascinated by tools and embrace all that goes with it, knock yourself out. However, there is still a place for people who aren't into all of that but do need to do some routine touch-ups around the house every now and then, and they have tools for such people that don't require so much massaging. That's why I have a corded drill instead of a cordless one, because I don't want to have to fuss with charging batteries when I just need to drill 9 holes and then use it as a power screwdriver to hang up the door and after doing that I may not use that drill again for another year. I want to pull it out of the storage bin and go right to work without having to go through such a "process" every time I do so. They should strive to make chainsaws like that, ones that "just work' when you need them to so you can get back to your LIFE already. (Apparently they do, in the form of electric chainsaws, which makes it so surprising that more people don't buy them unless it's because they're not near any outlets, I don't have that as an issue.)

If I were a hare-core logger looking to have the equipment to clear out an entire woods, then OK. For simply cutting down one tree and then trimming off a few stray limbs, that is something which should be EASY. Doing that sort of work periodically is a very small part of my life, I don't wish for it to BECOME my life. I've got better things to do with my time, AND my money (in terms of paying someone a freaking $300 or more just to cut the tree down).

To wit:

If I were asking for all of that, then I'd completely agree with you 100 per cent. I was just asking for it to be sawed down and absolutely nothing else. If something goes awry, fine, it goes awry, but JUST CUT IT and don't muddle up things with insurance and lawsuit concerns. I'm sure there are situations where you do have to do all of that to prevent problems, but this was not one of those. I just wanted it cut down period, that's all.

I did it myself in 5 minutes, and even if you figure the $75 I spent on the saw was wasted since I busted it, it still was cheaper and it was DONE. That's me--I like things done, easily and without having to mortgage your kidneys or waste away an entire weekend which could've been spent on the lake to do it. Complexity is for building the space shuttle and figuring out how to split items in a science lab or for people who do this all the time as part of their life. I have no such interest, I just want the simple things done without having to take out a new mortgage every other minute and surrender the whole weekend I could've been ENJOYING.

Only an idiot would agree to take a job that could endanger their or someone else's lives just because you think it's easy. They gave you the price to do it the right way, and if you want it done the wrong way or a different way you do it yourself.

Electric chainsaws are underpowered. Hence the reason many of us do not use them. In some instances they work fine. Felling a tree isn't one of them. I'm surprised that pulling an extension cord isn't too much of a headache if sticking a battery on a charger is.... I mean, it's about as simple as one gets.

As for just wanting a chainsaw to work.... the manufacturer's aren't trying to make it difficult. It has to be compact and a manageable size. To achieve this, they use old tried and true technology that they can fit into that manageable size. The saw you want them to produce would be so heavy it would require wheels to operate. A carbureted 2 cycle engine is the most reliable and durable method they have to make the machine operate. Carbureted engines require more work to get started so there is a bit of a trade-off. But they still work just fine and take just a few seconds to have them running right if you know how to use them. Otherwise, stick to an electric saw. I mean, what's so difficult about that?

Last edited by Nlambert; 07-12-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
As for just wanting a chainsaw to work.... the manufacturer's aren't trying to make it difficult. It has to be compact and a manageable size. To achieve this, they use old tried and true technology that they can fit into that manageable size. The saw you want them to produce would be so heavy it would require wheels to operate. A carbureted 2 cycle engine is the most reliable and durable method they have to make the machine operate. Carbureted engines require more work to get started.
Then they need to come up with something else. All the breakthroughs they have made in so many areas, they can't figure this out? Please, that's ridiculous. They make automatic transmissions for cars so you don't have to figure out clutches and shifting, you put it in P or R or D and go on with your life. They make GPS units so you don't have to figure out how to navigate tricky roads, you can just get there easily. They came up with word processing via computers instead of typewriters so you don't have to retype an entire page if something goes wrong, you fix the one mistake and move on with your life. They make smartphones do all they can do to make life convenient, because that is what life is supposed to be, CONVENIENT and EASY with such things. The way these machines work is ANYTHING but convenient, you have to be willing for it to all but take over your entire life, and that's ridiculous.

Enough of this. FIGURE IT OUT. Make a chainsaw which is small AND easy to start AND strong enough to cut down an oak tree, ALL OF IT, yes, ALL OF IT. Stop saying it can't be done and get off your lazy a`s-s and DO IT. Stop asking us to be internal combustion engine engineers with a doctorate degree because you're too lazy to do your dang job. IT'S NOT MY JOB to practically spend the whole weekend starting a chainsaw, it's YOUR JOB as the one who makes it to make that easy for me. My life isn't engines, that's YOUR life because you make them. Go back 200 years, would you have thought it possible to have the means to flick a switch and have a machine cool your house for you so you don't have to sweat when it's 95 degrees? I bet you anything 200 years ago people would have laughed you out of the room and called you ridiculous, but guess what--someone else with the means thought otherwise and made it happen. MAKE IT HAPPEN. Somebody needs to build a better mousetrap.

At this point I'm just "ranting," but so be it. It's amazing how you can have something which takes your headaches away yet people still want to do things the hard way. I mentioned GPS, I STILL deal with people who want me to give them step-by-step directions for getting to a spot in the middle of nowhere, with them calling back numerous times about to give me a migraine headache. They've come up with the means to where you can share your location, they tap on the link and follow step-by-step directions, yet they STILL want to do things the hard way. Not me. Come up with an easier way, and I'm all over it. Like I said, someone needs to build a better mousetrap.

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-12-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House