Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

I own a rental townhouse with a HVAC functioning unit. 1200 sq ft, 2T - 13 seer.

Tenants are complaining lately (July) that the house stays between 76-78 even though thermostat set at 65. Outside temps in Dallas have been running about 100 degrees.

I've had had the coils cleaned and condenser unit serviced and refrigerent levels checked. Tenant says not enough improvement (they can get it to 76 now vs. 78)

My AC guy says other options are new 2.5 T system, more insultation in attic, an attic fan.

In the meantime, I've provided 2 portables so we are coasting with that but tenants expect a permanent solution.

Part of me thinks 78 should be ok when its 100+ outside. But I want happy tenants.

Do you really think more insulation would make a significant diff? Attic fan? Would you get a whole new system (mine is from 2003)?? There were no issues in the winter with heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Buy them a window unit if they want it to be that cold. It's unrealistic to expect it to be 65 inside when it's 100 outside. That central ac won't last long with them using it like that.

A good attic fan probably wouldn't hurt though, it'll reduce the heat transferring through the ceiling.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
2.5 is most likely too big for a 1200 sq ft place. You don't want an oversized unit or you're going to have mold issues. The only way to know if it's properly sized is for the ac tech to do a manual j load calculation.

I'd say insulation in the attic as well as adding insulation to existing walls is your best option. Especially if the insulation is lacking right now.

Also replacing windows if they're not low-e.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Insulation is ABSOLUTELY the smart thing to do! It almost certainly makes sense to also have the entire structure checked for AIR LEAKS, even if it is technically part of an HOA there is no reason for you not to make your unit more "energy tight" for lower electric bills, better comfort, and more durability. The thing is that depending on when your unit was built there may not have been standards / knowledge about just how important weather sealing is -- from little things like can lights that can let a shocking amount of hot air seep from the attic into the living space, to issue with the attic ventilation that can literally accelerate the detioration of structures 10x or more, to things like improperly sealed ductwork the data shows all but a handful of really knowledge, careful builders have been responsible for homeowners wasting huge amounts of money in poorly sealed structures. There are now good results from studies that show radiant barriers can cut one's cooling costs by 10% -- Radiant Barriers | Department of Energy

It NEVER makes sense to get an oversized HVAC unit, the negative effects associated with such units include insufficient dehumidification and increased wear & tear on the starting load -- Why an Oversized Air Conditioner Is a Bad Idea

Finally I would caution that though you will find randomn goofs on the interwebs trying to make an arguement that becuase the max amps of window units is typically quite low they are somehow 'saving you money' those boneheads fail to recognize that the compressors in whole house HVAC units are mostly loafing while running at 240v and modern multi-speed units are orders of magnitude more capable than the pathetic little things furiously burning watts in window units but in actual practice folks switch off the noisy little buggers as they otherwise could not get any sleep... Window-Mounted Air Conditioners Save Energy ?| GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Sounds like the unit is doing just fine. Temp here outside is 93 and inside temp is right about 76-78 and perfectly comfortable. Setting the stat to 65 simply insures it stays on continuously.

Attic insulation is generally the best bang for the buck (skip the fans), but if there is an outside wall in direct sunlight that could be radiating heat into the rooms and making it feel warmer than the air temp. In a townhouse, there could be some heat transfer from a vacant unit, depending on how the townhouses were constructed.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"There are now good results from studies that show radiant barriers can cut one's cooling costs by 10% -- Radiant Barriers | Department of Energy"

Chet, remember we had a recent discussion on how these may be a source of ignition in home fires during electrical storms. I'd stick with standard insulation until that issue has been explored and resolved. Most of the time they may be fine, but the data is troubling.

FWIW, some of us who are sensitive to extraneous sounds sleep better with a white noise machine or window ac. Also, as your article notes, my little window AC in the bedroom cools a small space instead of the entire house, so the 10% loss is a drop in the bucket. If the real issue in the townhouse is an upstairs bedroom being too hot, I would consider a window unit or other small unit as a possibility.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
See if your electric company does energy audits. They are free here. We live in Texas where it's routinely 100+. We have no problem maintaining 75-76 degrees (and our thermostat is set at 76). So I would think there is something to cause the a/c to not run efficiently.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:15 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
These are all great ideas. Thanks much.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
If they're setting it to 65 and it is only reaching 76 there's a problem. When was the last time you had the temp control box checked/replaced? You could need a part that'll cost about $200 and the problem could be solved.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:07 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
Where is the air handler, and ducts? If they are in the attic, check the ducts for leaks and make sure they are properly insulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House