Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM

5,065 posts, read 2,274,358 times

Advertisements

We have had two contractors tell us that metal roofs are no good, despite the fact that every-other house in the area (North-Central PA) has a metal roof.

The first guy said that metal roof are only as good as the caulking, and that will fail after five or six years. The second guy said that because the edges where any metal is cut, aren't treated, that it will rust and fail. Both pushed asphalt shingles pretty hard.

I suspect that they're only saying this because asphalt is so much easier to install, and they maybe don't have the experience to do a metal roof, yet don't want to have to pass up on the job. I'd love to hear from anyone who installs metal roofs, or anyone who has a metal roof on their house, as to what issues, if any, you've had with metal and whether it's really a longer-lasting roof than typical shingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 02:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Never, ever, ever heard that ever.

My son just built this on a remote boat in access only site for his Boy Scout Eagle project.

All metal exterior with am anticipated lifespan of 50 years (due to harsh climate). If steel is cut and flashed properly, you should need no caulk. That building has ZERO caulk on the tin anywhere. As long as you use good hardware with neoprene washers and pay attention on the install you should not have one problem with it. This unit was installed in a HIGH wind area too.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-15-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 02:54 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
If these guys plan to rely on caulk to keep a metal roof watertight, run away! Most metal roof material will carry a 30-50 year warranty from the manufacturer. It all comes down to the qualifications of the installer.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:01 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Clearly, they know nothing of metal roofing!
I'll just leave it at that...

Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 PM

5,065 posts, read 2,274,358 times
That's a nice-looking project!! My boys are Webelos II and Bear. Really hoping they stick with it to Eagle.

Thanks for the info. We'll keep looking for a competent installer. It's tempting to give in and use asphalt, but we'd probably have to roof again about the same time we retire and are on a fixed income. This is one job we want to hire out, especially since I'm in the middle of stone veneer on the exterior and still have 1 1/2 baths to finish, not to mention baseboard and window trim. Gonna take at least another year or two to finish what needs done.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Unlike asphalt roofing, metal roofing has to be installed a certain way, while keeping track of prevailing winds.
However, you *can* (and is sometimes done) install wrong and then you WILL get problems.

So whoever pushes asphalt roofing, then thus does not know how to correctly install metal roofing.
If you do vote for metal roofing, start to *study* up on metal roofing via Google.

Then ask questions about what you have learned.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:19 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Find contractors who install metal roofs and ask if you can see proof of their work and if they have client reviews.

We have a roofing company in the next town that has metal on their shop roof.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:24 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
All metal exterior with am anticipated lifespan of 50 years (due to harsh climate). If steel is cut and flashed properly, you should need no caulk. That building has ZERO caulk on the tin anywhere.
Observation......Those screws on the roof likely have rubber gaskets. Those gaskets will be the first to leak.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:33 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Observation......Those screws on the roof likely have rubber gaskets. Those gaskets will be the first to leak.
Ceilings are non-wood, insulated panels with metal framing all around, and on top of that metal is a glued neoprene sheet, and those screws holding the metal roof to the non wood, galvanized metal framed ceilings have neoprene gaskets.

That is the manufacturers specs on installing the exterior roof panels in a high wind area. To a 'T'.

That evaporator toilet structure was constructed 90% by scouts 15-18 years old..

OP- There is a reason why steel roofed old barns and homes lasted over 100 years in your neck of the woods. Those guys are full of BS!

Last edited by Threerun; 07-15-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 04:50 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Shoot, if I could have afforded a metal roof for my house when I re-roofed it in 2008, I would have done it in a heartbeat. There are so many homes and barns in my area from the late 1800s and early 1900s that still have their original metal roofs - you sure won't find an asphalt shingle roof that old. Find a competent metal roof installer instead - those guys are just blowing smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House