Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,227 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread but registered in case someone else is looking for information about this type of gap and finds this thread. The space between the wall and the poured concrete is not a French drain nor is it space created by concrete shrinkage as suggested here. And I am certain the space was planned for in the original plans. It is normally called a floating basement slab and is pretty common in the North East or in areas that have deep frost.

A floating slab or floating floor is part of a typical stem foundation in areas where there is freezing and expansive soils. If the foundation is monolithic, the floor is not a slab but actually part of the foundation itself. If the home has a stem foundation, where the wall is constructed upon a footing, then it may have a floating slab which also sits upon the footing.
The floating slab is created by placing a rigid object, such as a 1x6” board against the wall before the slab floor is poured. After the concrete floor sets the board is removed a clean even gap is left between the basement wall and floor. This is a floating slab or floating floor.
Some areas have very expansive soil which means the soil expands and contracts. This expansive soil puts pressure on the walls when the soil expands and releases pressure when the soil contracts. These soil pressures cause the foundation to move. The wall actually rocks back and forth in very slow motion.
When the slab, or basement floor, is directly adjoining the stem foundation wall sitting upon the footing it is subject to the same movement that the wall is. If the slab is touching the stem walls on all sides, and the wall moves in a thirty-second of an inch, the slab has nowher to move to and cracks as a result of this pressure. Having the gap of space that the floating slab provides allows movement of the walls without the floor slab cracking.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-17-2014 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
What a great contribution. ^^^^^

Just add to that that often is it mistakenly thought that the expansion takes place in the hot weather or summer season when it actually happens in the wet season or mostly cool weather. In some homes you will notice doors sticking in one season but not another and it can change throughout the home.

We'd all like to think our homes sit on non-moveable ground when it isn't anything like that unless you drove piles into bedrock and nothing touches the ground. Even then, things move.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
In Denver my basement slab was that way,floating because of expansive clay I was told.I could not attach walls directly to slab,had to be floating for expansion.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,126 times
I have this same situation in my basement near Philadelphia. I'm putting new walls up. Now that we know what it is, would anyone recommend sealing the gap with concrete in case of moisture coming up? Like the very first post, I have never had water come in and am only concerned about having moisture behind my new walls. Thanks

Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
In Colorado our slab had open expansion gap because of betonite (expansive clay).my walls in basement were floating,not fastened to slab,so slab could move up or down.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:32 PM

213 posts, read 157,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred74 View Post
I have this same situation in my basement near Philadelphia. I'm putting new walls up. Now that we know what it is, would anyone recommend sealing the gap with concrete in case of moisture coming up? Like the very first post, I have never had water come in and am only concerned about having moisture behind my new walls. Thanks

No, don't fill it with concrete. No form of sealing will do much, because any hydrostatic pressure from surrounding soil will bust right on through.

Basically, you either have a water problem in your basement or not. If you do, proper drains/pumps will be needed to remove the water from the soil before it comes through the concrete. About the only legit reason to seal that gap is if you have a radon fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House